Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2018 Grand National

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Grand National

Obviously still a long way off, but we start Cheltenham early, so thought I'd put one out there that I have backed already.

Le Mercurey of Paul Nicholls, ran as a 7 year old this year in the race, of which horses that age have a pretty poor record, however, he made it round and was a never nearer 12th, admittedly a fair distance behind the front 4 or 5, but for a first time National run it wasn't devoid of hope.

Cause Of Causes ran as a 7 year old in this race, off a 5lb lower mark finishing 8th, then went on to be runner up this year having missed the previous years running.

The experience stands them in good stead, and I feel once again connections will target this race for this horse and a year on he can make a better showing.

I noticed in the ATR Stable Tour that Nicholls believes he is a better small field horse, but that begs the question why he even bothered running him in the GN this year in the first place, unless it was for a future running of the race, especially at his tender age.

100/1 with SJ is generous enough, and I know I am shooting myself in the foot by only having the 4 places to aim at until nearer the time, but I will probably add to this then on a larger scale once the places start to increase and his entry is confirmed.

Never too early CoD! I am more excited than usual for next year's running because for the first time ever I'll be in attendance. Wouldn't argue with any of your analysis, but just on gut instinct I think Le Mercurey is likely to be a Saint Are type horse in that he's likely to be a very safe jumper, great chance of finishing the race if he doesn't get any interference, has a decent chance of placing but likely to always find at least one who just has that extra bit of class.

Comment

Originally posted by Garrison Savannah View Post
      Never too early CoD! I am more excited than usual for next year's running because for the first time ever I'll be in attendance. Wouldn't argue with any of your analysis, but just on gut instinct I think Le Mercurey is likely to be a Saint Are type horse in that he's likely to be a very safe jumper, great chance of finishing the race if he doesn't get any interference, has a decent chance of placing but likely to always find at least one who just has that extra bit of class.
      Thanks GS, I'd be inclined to agree, hopefully he can hit the top 4 25/1 for a place would certainly do me!

Comment

Never too early indeed!

I’ve got small stakes on 3 horses already

Un Temp Pour Tout - 0.5U @86/1 one of my favourite horses in racing. Has won the 3m handicap at Cheltenham two years in the back, this year I think he goes Gold Cup/National. Won last year at chelts of top weight so we know he handles it.

Tiger Roll- 0.5U @70/1 - a little bit worried about what weight he might be given but a touch of class, similar to Rule the World who beat Champagne Fever at 2M before ending up a stayer.

Rogue Angel - 0.5U @450/1 - I’m pretty sure there is a decent trend with horses who have previously done well in the Irish National although he was pulled up carrying 10’8 last year, he ran inthe same Cork race this month as last year carrying 7lbs less which suggests to me he may take the same route as last year(ending with the national)

Comment

PERFECT COULD BE A NATIONAL CANDIDATE

Trainer Fergal O'Brien was visibly delighted in the winners' enclosure after Perfect Candidate gave him another big race success in the BetVictor.com Handicap Chase at Cheltenham this afternoon.

The 7/1 shot was recording his third victory at Cheltenham and gave O'Brien his second success in this race following Alvarado's win in 2013.

Jockey Paddy Brennan had to work hard on the 10-year-old but his mount responded after the pair got into a protracted battle with eventual third Three Faces West coming down the hill.

Runner-up Vicente stalked this pair but Perfect Candidate always had his measure, though the winner had to dig deep as the runner-up renewed his challenge with a strong finish on the run-in.

Both Brennan and Perfect Candidate had enough in reserve though to hold on, a neck being the margin of victory as they passed the post.

O'Brien's stable has been in rude health over the past few weeks and the trainer is delighted to see his horses running so well.

"Paddy made this horse today," said the trainer.

"We came here on the back of a nice run before and Paddy has made his mind up for him today. These sort of fields suit him - small fields - and he probably lacks a gear for a National but he certainly rides like a National horse.

"We were lucky today with Minella Rocco (pulled up) being declared as we got in on a nice weight and the ground's come right for him.

"For three weeks in a row now, Paddy Brennan has been amazing. He just gave everything and gave the horse every chance. I'm delighted and I'm very lucky to have both the horse and jockey. The horse runs so well round here so it's probably easier to ride him round here. He's a phenomenal horse. We bought him for £16,000 I think and he's done both the owners (ISL Recruitment) and myself proud.

"We'll see how he comes out of this - the Becher Chase (at Aintree) will probably come too soon for him. This was always the plan though - we'll just have to see. He looks like a National horse and runs like a National horse so we'll just have to see."

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane fly View Post

Tiger Roll- 0.5U @70/1 - a little bit worried about what weight he might be given but a touch of class, similar to Rule the World who beat Champagne Fever at 2M before ending up a stayer
            With you here HF, had my eye on him for a while with Aintree in mind. Had a very small play at 50s and will likely top up once I'm more sure of the race being the target.

Comment

12 months too late for me OV, had enough on PC in last seasons renewal to buy a small Caribbean island...

Comment

Had a few bets for this . Tiger roll - 50-1 , un temps pour tout -40-1, vieux lion rouge - 40-1 , cause of causes - 33-1
                and minella rocco -25 -1. it's never too early is it !.

Comment

From Ben Linfoot, liked this now that Blaklion is 12/1 fav for the race.... rated 161 now.

Horses that have run off 160+ in the Grand National

Don’t Push It – 160 – 3rd - 2011
                  Ballabriggs – 160 – 6th – 2012
                  Synchronised – 161 – Fell - 2012
                  Long Run – 160 – Fell – 2014
                  Tidal Bay – 161 – UR – 2014
                  Many Clouds – 160 – 1st – 2015
                  Lord Windermere – 161 – PU – 2015
                  Many Clouds – 165 – 16th – 2016
                  Silviniaco Conti – 163 – PU – 2016
                  The Last Samuri – 161 – 16th – 2017

Comment

If Native River runs, will he be top weight??

Comment

Thought that was a great run for Last samurai, never expected him to feature but a staying on performance into the places.

Shouldn’t be much effect on his rating either

Comment

No Native River

Comment

I have a few I like in the betting but I wanted to get a pre-weights bet on O O Seven at 66/1.

A few others have put the thought in my head and he seemed to enjoy Aintree last time.

A doubtful stayer admittedly but I think the price is fair.

Comment

Fair play to Sky who immediately went BOG and NRNB as soon as weights were announced....

Comment

Total Recall 19/1
                              Tiger Roll 50/1 ew
                              Gold Present ave 120
                              Three Faces West ave 75

That's what I've got so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X