Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Fox Hunters Chase 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fox Hunters Chase 2018

Anyone heard or seen a good Foxhunter that might just turn up here with a chance? Was p155ed of years ago just before the festival as the bloke in front of me to get a haircut was the owner of kingscliff (2003 winner) By that time was 6/4 !!

About 4 months too early for me to think about this race

Comment

Killultagh Vic seems to have disappeared from the betting which is good news

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane fly View Post
        Killultagh Vic seems to have disappeared from the betting which is good news
        Yeah someone posted elsewhere, 'too good for hunter chases' - 'plenty of time for that in the future' and he's gone back to Willie

Comment

Im pretty sure Foxrock will meet the criteria this year and looks to have a favs chance, if hes fit and well and gets entered in a Hunter Chase i wont be looking any further.

Comment

On The Fringe was said to be retiring after last years flop but connections had a change of mind over the Summer, he is now taking the same route as always en route to the big Spring Hunters, whether you can make a case for him is another matter but this has been won by 13yo before...

Comment

Originally posted by billymag View Post
              Im pretty sure Foxrock will meet the criteria this year and looks to have a favs chance, if hes fit and well and gets entered in a Hunter Chase i wont be looking any further.
              Yeah that rings a bell.... Not a race I will pay much attention to other than looking for an easy play to be honest so Fox might be my one and only.

Previously placed horses seem to have a good record too

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
              On The Fringe was said to be retiring after last years flop but connections had a change of mind over the Summer, he is now taking the same route as always en route to the big Spring Hunters, whether you can make a case for him is another matter but this has been won by 13yo before...
              Price is everything I suppose....

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                My heart is still broken by his damp run last year. Still can't even

Comment

Gilgamboa is an interesting addition to Hunter Chases. Rated at 150 he will be one of the higher rated horses to go Hunter chasing this season.

Comment

Don't think he's able to run at Cheltenham.

Grade 1-winning chaser Gilgamboa is set to join the point-to-pointing ranks, with Enda Bolger intending to run his 159-rated chaser in an open event... Read More

Comment

Originally posted by archie View Post
                      Don't think he's able to run at Cheltenham.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/grad...-points/303232
                      As it says, similar to Foxrock last year...

Not really thought about this race much, but OTF being over-priced at 25/1 is a consideration, as the only one I do like is Foxrock and they were quite close on OTF's first run last season.....

Comment

Thanks Archie - I forgot about that rule.

He'll pick some nice prizes in Ireland and all roads will lead to Aintree no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                          Thanks Archie - I forgot about that rule.

He'll pick some nice prizes in Ireland and all roads will lead to Aintree no doubt.
                          Hopefully to clash with this years Cheltenham winner....

I've got a shortlist for this race but its not that original an nothing backed yet.... just generic thoughts really at this stage...

Staker Wallace (talked up as a future star in this field last season)
                          Foxrock (obvious claims!)
                          Wonderful Charm (obvious claim on last years 2nd and placing in the race does no harm... know he gets trip trip etc)
                          Balnaslow (well tipped up last season by jono and got his win at Aintree, surely a player this time around)
                          Lord Windemere (Not sure this is the route but as a previous GOld CUp wionner, if eligible, obviously a contemnder.... probably not qualified?)
                          On The Fridnge - well known claims.
                          Pachu Du Polder - obvious claims

Comment

Any thoughts on Burning Ambition for this race - 12/1 with either Bet365 or SkyBet. Considered to have absolutely bundles in hand 2 days ago and won easily. I'd be guessing if I knew what was behind him but has done everything effortlessly so far this year. Beat the former Mullins runner Sambremont by 8 lengths in his point before that race. Approx 35 lengths behind was Aupcharlie who does have previous in this race - 6th in 2016 and 13th in 2017.

Staker Wallace the other who interests me. Derek O'Connor rode in the Hunters Chase at Leopardstown in February in only his 4th ever start. Finished just 7.5L back from Foxrock and On The Fringe. Could be Bolger's next hope for this race over the next few years and will only be 7 years old in March.

Both too short really for me this far out but I do prefer to go for a horse that comes through the ranks in this sphere rather than a former high class chaser converted.

Comment

Has the right profile Jono though as impressive as his maiden hunter chase win was it didn't look a strong race in any way.
                              The second that day recorded a best rating of 88 over hurdles, a maiden over fences and has only twice finished within 20l of the winner (under rules).
                              I haven't looked into his point form but what you mention is impressive and confirms calibre/ability, I'd like to see him at racing pace on decent ground before investing but there is a changing of the guard in this sphere with many of the established hunters retired/retiring/ageing so worth looking outside the usual suspects....

Comment

Working...
                              X