Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Fox Hunters Chase 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
    there is a changing of the guard in this sphere with many of the established hunters retired/retiring/ageing so worth looking outside the usual suspects....
    Completely agree with that Ista. I think it's certainly time to move on from the annual On The Fringe fancy that's for sure!

Balnaslow would be the other obvious fancy right now (16/1 PP) - I thought the trip might have done him at Cheltenham. I fancied him back down in trip at Aintree where he only just missed out in second but did follow up with a win at Punchestown other 24.5F. So he was right up there in the Spring Hunter Chases last Spring and at 10 probably has at least another year at the top in this sphere. He also finished 4th in the Kim Muir in 2014 but again that day he had every chance at the last but there are question marks with him and the Cheltenham hill as again i'm not sure whether he quite got home.

It does seem a bit crazy to be talking about this race already but does anyone know if Foxrock would be eligible this season?

Comment

Unioniste made his comeback in a hunters chase today

Hard to believe he’s only 10 and never really won the big one Nicholls thought he could

Comment

Originally posted by Middle_Of_March View Post
        Apologies if there’s already a thread (I did have a look for one and I’m new here) but I was wondering what you all think of Burning Ambition?

I think he may be the first Foxhunter that has his best still to come rather than be on the downgrade. Looks an absolute monster from what I have seen so far.

The 10/1 is more than enough to get me to have a bet. I think he ought to be favourite.
        Hi MoM .... looks like jono likes this one too (see above) ....

Comment

Burning Ambition is by Scorpion .... so will he get up that hill

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
            Burning Ambition is by Scorpion .... so will he get up that hill
            Maybe via the Champagne tent..

Comment

Originally posted by jono View Post
              Any thoughts on Burning Ambition for this race - 12/1 with either Bet365 or SkyBet. Considered to have absolutely bundles in hand 2 days ago and won easily. I'd be guessing if I knew what was behind him but has done everything effortlessly so far this year. Beat the former Mullins runner Sambremont by 8 lengths in his point before that race. Approx 35 lengths behind was Aupcharlie who does have previous in this race - 6th in 2016 and 13th in 2017.

Staker Wallace the other who interests me. Derek O'Connor rode in the Hunters Chase at Leopardstown in February in only his 4th ever start. Finished just 7.5L back from Foxrock and On The Fringe. Could be Bolger's next hope for this race over the next few years and will only be 7 years old in March.

Both too short really for me this far out but I do prefer to go for a horse that comes through the ranks in this sphere rather than a former high class chaser converted.
              Your first paragraph sums up why I made him a bet in the OP for the other threads far better than i would’ve described.
              Last edited by Middle_Of_March; 13 January 2018, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle_Of_March View Post
                Your first paragraph sums up why I made him a bet in the OP for the other threads far better than i would’ve described.
                WH have trimmed him in to 8/1 now.... you've got them running scared MoM

THis is a race where I definitely am not in my comfort zone. Salsify and On The Fridge have been kind but they didn't take a lot of finding

I've watched as many of burning ambitions races as I can this morning and can defintiely see the case... I have no real way of understanding the PTP form but I like what I've seen!

Comment

I like Wonderful Charm.

He could be Paul Nicholls best chance of a festival winner.

Ran well last year.

My only concern is that The Dentist could be on board now that his father is a co owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanilla View Post
                    I like Wonderful Charm.

He could be Paul Nicholls best chance of a festival winner.

Ran well last year.

My only concern is that The Dentist could be on board now that his father is a co owner.
                    The Dentist won a Gold CUp over C&D so that wouldn't be a negative really compared to plenty of the jockeys!

A cyclist was a jockey one year....

Comment

Has anyone heard any plans for Foxrock, I cant seem to find anything. Hed be a strong bet if I knew he was going for this, I believe he will qualify this year unlike last year.

Comment

Was looking myself billymag. But now we have NRNB might be worth a punt.

Comment

Venitien De Mai (FR)*8, b g 11-9*(Ann & Alan Potts Limited)*

Really interests me for this. Is he qualified. I think so.
                          Has better collateral form than burning ambition
                          https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
                          Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
                            Venitien De Mai (FR)*8, b g 11-9*(Ann & Alan Potts Limited)*

Really interests me for this. Is he qualified. I think so.
                            Has better collateral form than burning ambition
                            Burning ambition is winning with something in hand, his form is not the strongest in what he's beat but its ok and hes doing it well. I missed the boat on his orive as only just started lolking at this race. Alot of the remainder ie two rockers are all beating each other in slightly more competative events.

Young hurricane would be a lively outsider.

And Sydney Paget seems to be a fair yardstick over in Ireland. For the likely big prices.
                            https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
                            Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

Has anybody heard anything about It Came To Pass for Jim Culloty? 2nd in a Point behind A Decent Excuse (who beat Venetian De Mai NTO) in his only run of the season so far, but I'd be interested in him for the Foxhunters again.

I was on him in 2016 at nice prices and he went off at 9s. You could see Brian Lenihan was sickened when he fell. He was travelling really well at that stage and he was solid in running in the betting, from what I can remember. He's still only 8, half bro to Lord Windermere and connections love a gamble! He had a prep run in February 2016 so something similar could be on the cards? No price available as of yet.

Comment

Recall culloty saying last year that it came to pass had lost his confidence Jumping fences after his fall at cheltenham the previous year
                                Could be interesting if they have nursed him back
                                The Foxhunters at the Dublin festival is usually a good guide
                                I expect Foxrock,On the fringe,Staker Wallace and a few others to run in this

Comment

Working...
                                X