Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Racing Podcasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dipped in to FFP again cos they had Delargy on about Handicaps and Mangan who is always a voice I rate.

Christ. It's like having a coke addict in your ear for 3 hours. Kennedy just blows on and on and on, talking over the guests.

He'll say something, a more knowledgeable guest will disagree and he'll then do a 5 minute indignant rant agreeing with the guest on a position that he disagreed with moments prior. Also been mugging Blake's new podcast by talking about "other podcasts being irresponsible" on coronavirus.

The whole "lump on" mug punter schitck takes a moody turn when they're shilling for Betfair (he literally said they were quoting Betfair prices cos some person there works really hard, as opposed to the fact that they're paying). He was saying some wild stuff to which I was thinking "as long as you get NRNB on that" and then he's like "use the exchange".

But worst of all, as someone who once made a badly edited podcast, the editing has been atrocious, people getting cut off mid word and stuff. Amateur stuff.

Anyway, I'll stop sounding like a broken record now

Comment

Originally posted by robith View Post
      I dipped in to FFP again cos they had Delargy on about Handicaps and Mangan who is always a voice I rate.

Christ. It's like having a coke addict in your ear for 3 hours. Kennedy just blows on and on and on, talking over the guests.

He'll say something, a more knowledgeable guest will disagree and he'll then do a 5 minute indignant rant agreeing with the guest on a position that he disagreed with moments prior. Also been mugging Blake's new podcast by talking about "other podcasts being irresponsible" on coronavirus.

The whole "lump on" mug punter schitck takes a moody turn when they're shilling for Betfair (he literally said they were quoting Betfair prices cos some person there works really hard, as opposed to the fact that they're paying). He was saying some wild stuff to which I was thinking "as long as you get NRNB on that" and then he's like "use the exchange".

But worst of all, as someone who once made a badly edited podcast, the editing has been atrocious, people getting cut off mid word and stuff. Amateur stuff.

Anyway, I'll stop sounding like a broken record now
      I did the same as I like Delargy & Mangan. Doesn't wind me up that much, because I listen while I'm working, and just stop working whenever the person I want to listen to starts talking

Thought Andrew Mount was quite good as well. Will likely listen to them all this coming few days, but using the same approach as I have done for those few.

They're the first ones I've listened to this season. Wish they'd bring good old Hector back for one. Some boy, him!

Comment

Originally posted by TimRiggins View Post
        I did the same as I like Delargy & Mangan. Doesn't wind me up that much, because I listen while I'm working, and just stop working whenever the person I want to listen to starts talking

Thought Andrew Mount was quite good as well. Will likely listen to them all this coming few days, but using the same approach as I have done for those few.

They're the first ones I've listened to this season. Wish they'd bring good old Hector back for one. Some boy, him!
        I couldn't remember his name, but yes Mount was a good listen

Comment

Originally posted by robith View Post
          I couldn't remember his name, but yes Mount was a good listen
          Went to his preview evening last night. A straight talking decent bloke.

I used to love FFP in the early days but it’s not what it used to be now BF pull the strings....

Couple I really like:
          PP Horses mouth one, really like that. Lighthearted & Ruby being Ruby.
          Turf Talk pod - couple of young northern lads having a laugh with an opinion....no fancy production, simple but enjoyable IMO

Comment

Inevitable it would happen, once someone starts pulling the strings.

We had a good run, and it was very entertaining for a good while. Can't knock them for trying to nick a few quid out of it, and I've just moved on. I do remember when I used to often wait up for it to be released, so I could listen to it before bed #addicted.

Those were the days, my friend. We thought they'd never end

Comment

I listened to te FFP handicap one too, on my way to work, whci his a 45 minute drive.

I think I they only managed to discuss two horses names in that first 45 minutes for the Ultima and one was a horse who the trainer said is going for the Kim Muir

Then again, I don't think anybody listens to the FFP for tips really, it's never been a good 'tipping' podcast?

Even Kevin Blake seems to be a bit of a parody of himself now on the Betfair one... teamed up with Tony Calvin. I do like them both but I can see me getting bored of listening to them rant. Every arguement TC has he just refers to people he spoke to and then says he can't name drop them.

Listening to anything is usually better than my own thoughts or the radio though

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                I listened to te FFP handicap one too, on my way to work, whci his a 45 minute drive.

I think I they only managed to discuss two horses names in that first 45 minutes for the Ultima and one was a horse who the trainer said is going for the Kim Muir

Then again, I don't think anybody listens to the FFP for tips really, it's never been a good 'tipping' podcast?

Even Kevin Blake seems to be a bit of a parody of himself now on the Betfair one... teamed up with Tony Calvin. I do like them both but I can see me getting bored of listening to them rant. Every arguement TC has he just refers to people he spoke to and then says he can't name drop them.

Listening to anything is usually better than my own thoughts or the radio though
                I quite enjoy how like 4 episodes in, Tony Calvin talking to an unnamed source who has the complete inside line has become an enormous in joke

Comment

I only listened to the one about the Corona virus, as I got told TC had gotten himself balls deep in the yes/no market on BF, lol

Comment

I definitely feel there is room for a consistent, informative podcast to take over. Happy to give a podcast a try as long as there is at least one informed individual on there. Not looking for tipping podcasts in the main, more just enjoy the discussions, especially in the lead up to big festivals.

Some thoughts on existing, regular podcasts as well as some informative individual podcasts that can be a welcome addition to a lockdown walk:

FFP - As has been touched on already in this thread, Kennedy is horrendous. I try to skip every time he talks as he adds zero value to discussion and I find myself constantly cringing every time he attempts an impression/joke. Will only listen to a pod if there is at least one person who I respect/enjoy listening to. Rory Delargy, Andrew Mount and Jane Mangan are usually informative, most of the other regulars aren’t worth the time.

Racing Only Bettor - Have enjoyed listening to this podcast when I have had a chance to. Usually gets released on a Friday afternoon and if they are only discussing racing on the Saturday, I find it’s a fairly small window to listen before Saturday racing starts.

On the Wire podcast with Johnny Ward - Have listened a couple of times and enjoyed but not enough of a regular listener to give a concrete opinion.

Racing post podcast - Not a regular listener and will only give it a listen if Paul Kealy is on as I feel he is one of the few people worth listening to on there.

Upping the Ante - Not strictly a podcast but I thoroughly enjoy their show throughout the season. Big fan of Gavin Lynch, not as much with David Jennings. Although DJ can throw up the odd little useful nugget from time to time.

3 Part series with Kevin Blake and Hugh Taylor - Again, not strictly a podcast but I have watched the first in this series and it was enjoyable. I have a great amount of respect for Hugh Taylor and his approach to betting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIiBEGuQK2I

Business of Betting Podcast - https://twitter.com/bettingpod?lang=en Covers all aspects of betting from bookmaking to betting on specific sports. Some of the racing podcasts in the series I have enjoyed:
                    - Simon Rowlands Episode 91 - Big fan of Simon Rowlands and his work. Touches on sectional times and why he values them. Enjoyable pod
                    - James Willoughby - Episode 86 and 133. Interesting hearing about James’ analytical approach to betting on horse racing

Oddscrackers Podcast with Martin Dixon - https://oddscrackers.libsyn.com/odds...h-martin-dixon
                    A fairly new podcast which has managed to attract some good guests already. I have only listened to a handful so far but this recent pod with Martin Dixon is worth a listen. Again, he talks about how he approaches betting on racing but also touches on horse ownership.

Comment

It seems Kennedy has been an idiot again and has lost his sponsors...

Comment

Originally posted by jack1092 View Post
                        It seems Kennedy has been an idiot again and has lost his sponsors...
                        Ooooh, what have I missed?

I stopped listening to any podcasts but just looking on twitter and there seems to be some rumblings?

Comment

I listened to the Weighed-in Podcast (ep 27) 41:30 in.... I'm caught up.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                            Ooooh, what have I missed?

I stopped listening to any podcasts but just looking on twitter and there seems to be some rumblings?
                            Apparently he has been caught on 'buying numbers' so where it says 25k listeners this month it's fake. From what I make of it anyway.

Comment

What a clown.

FFP used to be the highlight of my week - was very informative and was genuinely funny to listen to. But as Blake, Delargy and Keenan came on less often, in fewer numbers and it just became that melt talking to himself.

I still can recall vividly the moment my opinion changed on him. I woke up one morning and he'd been having a meltdown on twitter all night about people calling the guy who assasinated Jo Cox a terrorist "he was just a lone wolf!" like something straight from the alt-right playbook, but then on the following episode of the FFP thought it was the funniest thing of all time when Declan Rix shouted "Up the 'RA!". Knobhead.

Also - I thought ATR made it, rather than were sponsors!

Comment

I remember listening to it back at the beginning and how good it was. They made a point they'd never turn out to be take out merchants....well that's changed, he's a bollix.

Comment

Working...
                                X