Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

First time at the Festival - Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time at the Festival - Advice?

Hi Lads,
    So I've decided I'm going to take my dad to the festival for the first time for both of us next year and just wondered if there's any noobie advice/tips for my visit. We will be going down for Champions Day and will be driving down nice and early on the morning. We haven't decided on the enclosure yet?! Heard club is definitely worth it but then heard people say they were stood like a tightly packed tin of sardines all day.

Which enclosure should I go for? Thinking its between the tattersalls and club just so we could get a view of the horses in the paddock pre race but not 100%. Is there a grandstand in the tattersalls with a good view of the racing still? Or will I be peering into the back of some 6ft 4 bloke for the majority of the day?

Other queries I had:
    -Ideal time to arrive on racecourse via own car?
    -Heard the time to get out of the car parks are horrendous after racing?

On the 'other queries'

I arrived about 10:00 last time fer a two hour drive and that was very straight forward...

On leaving, my wife drove us back and it was only about a 30 minute wait to get off the carpark.

I've been to plenty of motorcycle events where closer to 2 hours is realistic to be sat in the car park so that wouldn't put me off.

Comment

Originally posted by darlojim View Post
      Hi Lads,
      So I've decided I'm going to take my dad to the festival for the first time for both of us next year and just wondered if there's any noobie advice/tips for my visit. We will be going down for Champions Day and will be driving down nice and early on the morning. We haven't decided on the enclosure yet?! Heard club is definitely worth it but then heard people say they were stood like a tightly packed tin of sardines all day.

Which enclosure should I go for? Thinking its between the tattersalls and club just so we could get a view of the horses in the paddock pre race but not 100%. Is there a grandstand in the tattersalls with a good view of the racing still? Or will I be peering into the back of some 6ft 4 bloke for the majority of the day?

Other queries I had:
      -Ideal time to arrive on racecourse via own car?
      -Heard the time to get out of the car parks are horrendous after racing?
      If cost isnt too much of an issue, I would definitely go club enclosure as there's excellent viewing on the balconys by the big bucks champagne bar, also sounds strange but it's deffinately worth the money just for being able to go to the toilets promtly, you will see what I mean on the day.
      https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
      Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

I personally (or the misses) park in the public car park by the holiday inn. Far easier to get in and out of especially if your staying for the last race, about a 15 minute walk down a straight road to the course . All busses to the course pass that way if your that way inclined, but i personally loke the walk up hearing the bagpipes etc...anf the Mrs likes collecting the free stuff they give out on the walk up lol.
        Last edited by Scooby91; 22 October 2017, 04:43 PM.
        https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
        Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

Good advice from Scooby about parking & club enclosure.
          I'd get there early (gates open at 10.30 AM but be there at least 30 minutes earlier) and use the Hall of Fame Entrance - there are a number of tables which, if you can grab one makes a good base for a few hours of coffee and serious study of the papers.
          There are loos outside of the Tattersalls bar which is close by on the same level - OMG I sound like my mother!

Comment

There are three main options - Best Mate, Tats and Club.

All the information you need to plan your raceday at Cheltenham Racecourse. Make the most of your day out at the races, click here to find out how.

At the festival there is a stand in tattersalls but not sure if that has to be booked seperately.

Apart from Gold Cup day crowds are pretty manageable.

I think that car park beside holiday inn may be getting redeveloped but a good call if still open.
            Last edited by Old Vic; 22 October 2017, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Many Thanks with all the advice!

On a side note... are the owners coloured scarves available on course or not?

Comment

Originally posted by darlojim View Post
                Many Thanks with all the advice!

On a side note... are the owners coloured scarves available on course or not?
                They are on trials day so i assume so

Comment

I was in club a couple of years ago, albeit in a sponsor's box, so didn't have to worry about the bars/loo, but it was suprisingly easy to get around. My colleague and I basically walked to stand at the finish line for the mares just before off, and we got a good spot pretty easy for the Champion.

Time before I went Best Mate on Gold Cup day, and while you miss a bit of the buzz, it's tremendous value and is much easier to navigate yourself than in the main grandstand. If it's the first time I'd get in the thick of it though tbh

Comment

Since the redevelopment of a couple of years ago movement around the course is much improved.
                    Yes there are still 60k people on the course so you can still expect the nudge in the back whilst walking around but it's fairly painless now.

Plenty of the home owners in New Barn Lane allow their driveways/gardens to be used for parking for a tenner, 200 yards from entrance to the course and saves all the hassle of official car parks...

Comment

Parking sort of depends on where you're heading back to but I agree with Istabraq about New Barn Lane. There's a place on the right just after the mini-roundabout at Albert Road that I've used a few times.
                      Before the redevelopment it was definitely not worth the extra to get in Members. These days it might be but you might consider buying a share in a runner as it may turn out to be more cost effective.

Comment

I found last year the club enclosure was very good indeed. Very good viewing points. I also paid the cash to go into Final flight bar which was very enjoyable and no problems queuing for drinks or toilets! Only downside were screens could of been bigger hahaha

Comment

Working...
                        X