Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

National Hunt Chase (4 miler) 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
    Worth flagging this up .... in to 20/1 now.... was with jono at Newbury yesterday and we backed Elegant Escape at 12/1 the night before and was a lovely performance. Bit of after-timing but think jono deserves some credit as its obviously a good spot! Under the radar!

50/1 looking good now!
    Yes, always think of Jono when EE races, one of the ones I followed him in on @ 50/1 I'm happy to say. Looking nice, and still some 33/1 available which is a fair price too.

Comment

Elegant Escape now has a rating of 150.

Elegant Escape tipped up by Andy Holding too.... beating Black Corton who was on a 7 timer, well clear of Wait For Me and Sir Ivan and the time figure on par with Ladbroke Trophy (final circuit 3 seconds quicker)...

Looks like he'll be going for the Kauto Star, which might mean RSA with a big run there though.
      Last edited by Kevloaf; 5 December 2017, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Just to give some context to the rating of winners that jono highlighted having such a great record in...

Edwulf 152 PU
        (but would have placed)
        Beware The Bear 148 7th
        Next up at 145
        Finished 1, 2, 9

Vicente 153 5th
        (Native River 149 2nd)

Causes of Causes 145 1st

Shotgun Paddy 151 2nd

Back in Focus 150 1st
        (Tofino bay 149 2nd)

Teaforthree 146 1st

That's PU-5-1-2-1-1

Although Presenting Percy would be well clear.

All the above is from jono

Comment

Are you covering him in the RSA Kev?

Comment

Be glad to add P.P in this as i only have Fagan so far .

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
              Are you covering him in the RSA Kev?
              I already had him from summer at 33/1 but only 1pt ew

I also have the same stake 33/1 for this.

Surprised he is so short at 8s but considering having quite a big bet at either 12/1 for this OR 7s any race ... what are you thinking?

Comment

I'm not sure what I'm thinking to be honest. I like PP but still think he could end up in either race. You're in a good position with both EE and PP so I'd be tempted to add him in any race if I was in your position.

Comment

Bit more support the last couple of days for Elegant Escape, now best priced 20/1, Hills now into 16s

Comment

Elegant Escape
                    20-1 Elegant Escape looks perfect for National Hunt Chase
                    BY TOM PARK 12:59PM 7 DEC 2017
                    To celebrate the countdown to Christmas, the Racing Post is giving away one piece of paid content away free each day. Here Tom Park serves up his latest Ante-Post Focus fancy

Elegant Escape
                    National Hunt Chase, Cheltenham March 13
                    1pt win at 20-1 generally

This year's Ladbrokes Trophy was a race to savour as Total Recall wore down the gutsy Whisper after a superb ride from Paul Townend, earning a Gold Cup quote in the process.

As good a performance as it was, Willie Mullins' improving eight-year-old is going to have to improve another 10lb to even be in with a chance in the Gold Cup. Arguably it was Whisper who emerged as the more likely contender after giving 14lb to the winner.

There is certainly some each-way value in the 25-1 available with Coral about Whisper in the Gold Cup, but the one who emerged from the Ladbrokes Trophy with the most credit was Might Bite. He has twice beaten Whisper and beat Alpha Des Obeaux, who was second to Total Recall in the Munster National, out of sight in last season's RSA.

Having already put up Nicky Henderson's star to win the King George and Gold Cup at 14-1 there is no need to play again and, after Thistlecrack's laboured return, he looks the one to beat at Kempton.

The Ladbrokes Trophy was not the only big race at the weekend, and Buveur D'Air, Apple's Jade and Mengli Khan all laid down their festival credentials with Grade 1 victories, but the horse who has perhaps gone under the radar is Elegant Escape, who got off the mark over fences in the Grade 2 novice chase at Newbury on Saturday.

Colin Tizzard's five-year-old has improved no end for the switch to fences and has proved a superb jumper in his three starts.

After beating Cheltenham winner Black Corton by three-quarters of a length in a race won by stablemates Thistlecrack and Native River in the last two seasons, he earned quotes for the RSA and National Hunt Chase.

He is clearly going in the right direction but might lack the class for the RSA and, given how he jumps and how strongly he stays, the four-mile National Hunt Chase, for which he is 20-1 generally, looks tailor-made.

He has a similar profile to Native River, who was second to Minella Rocco in the 2016 National Hunt Chase, and connections may follow a similar path to Cheltenham.

There is always a bit of guesswork when trying to fathom which race a novice chaser is going to run in, but his price more than reflects that and the four-miler looks his most likely target.

Share this story

Comment

Racing Post way behind Jono!

Advert to sign up to the forum right there

Comment

So far so good for Elegant Escape. Loved his run at Newbury. He's only 5 years old so it could very well be that he has needed his first few chase runs to really get going so we could his performances keep improving. A rating of 150 puts him around where you want a horse to be in this race.

His 3 Chases this year (Chepstow, Exeter and Newbury) have all been very strong in times and sectionals, often being the best on the card. Plenty have come out of the races and won franking the form as well including the last few days:

Chepstow (6 runners)
                        1st - Mia's Storm - 13L Win at Market Rasan
                        3rd - Mr Mix - 2.5L Win at Wincanton, PU LTO in the Badger Ales
                        6th - Captain Chaos - 19L Win at Aintree and again at Wetherby by 1.25L

Exeter (4 runners)
                        3rd - Barney Dwan - 15L Win at Market Rasan (yesterday)
                        4th - De Dollar Man - 5L Win at Exeter (today)

If anything his recent performance may have put the RSA back onto the agenda so I did back him for the RSA at 40/1 earlier in the week as a cover bet. If he were to win at Kempton next time out it does sound like they may go that way and at the price, with the RSA maybe not looking quite as strong I think it's a worthwhile bet at that price.

One key aspect was the almost identical path him and Native River have taken in their careers up to this point, including the next run at Kempton on Boxing Day. Native River ran with plenty of credit (particularly at Kempton) but on the face of it was put in his place at Kempton and Wetherby which may well have pushed them down the 4 miler and not the RSA. At this stage in Native Rivers season they may not have thought the 4 miler was the target. All guesswork really but it is in the back of my mind when using NR as reasoning for his target.

That said, I still think this is the more likely the race and that this race suits him absolutely perfectly. If/when this race is mentioned again as the likely target by Tizzard I shall be topping up the 50's anyway!

Presenting Percy would be a HUGE player in this race if he lined up. The RSA probably is the most likely (interesting choice who Davy would ride: Monalee or PP if they both lined up...) though a recent interview with Pat Kelly mentioned:

"All is good with him, he's a hell of a good horse in my opinion anyway. I'll see where I go with him next but I won't go straight into a Grade One with him anyway."

"I'll go for a Grade Two or a Grade Three with him now or something like that but I wouldn't go for a Grade One with him, he's only six and you could ruin him putting him in there at that level too quick," Kelly continued.

"He's still only six, only six, and it's all right for the big boys running in those races, anything can happen, but we wouldn't have a lot of horses so we mind what he have as good as we can."
                        He is talking more short term and the next race but If I was to take anything from those comments it would imply they may well look to mind him throughout the whole season and they may look to target this race over the RSA.

I imagine it'll become a lot clearer after each of these horses run next time out for which way they go

Comment

Impulse Star finally takes up an entry today with a debut over 3m1f ... 11/10 fav and hoping for a clean round today!

Comment

Elegant Escape due out at Kempton on Boxing Day. Hopefully Mia's Storm will take up her engagement in the same race. Im hoping King will have this race in mind for MS as I've been so impressed with the horse.

Comment

Anyone fancy mall dini for this at 25/1?

Comment

Originally posted by Rodders View Post
                                Anyone fancy mall dini for this at 25/1?
                                I do. Think il back Mall Dini to win any race at 16/1 though as no idea where he will end up.

Comment

Working...
                                X