Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

RSA Chase 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He a former PTP horse whose best form has been over longer than 2 & 1/2 miles i couldn't see why connections would drop him in trip, he was pulling away at the post today on soft ground having made all, 3m on better ground in March would surely suit.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeanRock View Post
      He a former PTP horse whose best form has been over longer than 2 & 1/2 miles i couldn't see why connections would drop him in trip, he was pulling away at the post today on soft ground having made all, 3m on better ground in March would surely suit.
      His best form was today I'd say...2m5f ... and 1f out he'd still have won today...

At 3m he got beaten at Cheltenham?

Comment

• 2nd place in the Albert Bartlett for a horse that was always going to be better over fences is hardly a negative imo, he was comfortably beaten over 2m 4f getting weight from Death Duty before the festival.
        Last edited by SeanRock; 4 February 2018, 08:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeanRock View Post
          2nd place in the Albert Bartlett for a horse that was always going to be better over fences is hardly a negative imo
          No I agree it's not a negative, just think his literal best form was today.

Sound like he'll go RSA though and he clearly does stay the trip so he looks to have a great chance. I just feel he'd be even more likely to win the JLT. I think the RSA is won by dour stayers more often than not and Monalee isn't just a stayer, clearly has some speed

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
            No I agree it's not a negative, just think his literal best form was today.

Sound like he'll go RSA though and he clearly does stay the trip so he looks to have a great chance. I just feel he'd be even more likely to win the JLT. I think the RSA is won by dour stayers more often than not and Monalee isn't just a stayer, clearly has some speed
            Yeah i agree today was his best form on paper, the ground at Leopardstown was hard going tho 2m 5f around there would be a similar test to 3m on good ground imo, i also think in recent years theres been lack of classy 3m novice chasers bar Might Bite and Coneygree who obviously sidestepped the novice route.
            Last edited by SeanRock; 4 February 2018, 08:38 PM.

Comment

His best form was today I'd say...2m5f ... and 1f out he'd still have won today...

At 3m he got beaten at Cheltenham?
              I have backed the horse for the 'wrong race' but I get the impression that they think he is a stronger stayer than he might actually be. On decent ground at both Cheltenham and Punchestown he led only to get run out of it both times. Perhaps he was over the top at Punchestown but he isn't what you would call staying on that strongly at the end of either race.

If the ground happens to be on the soft side I don't think the trip is a plus. I do wonder now whether there is an element of we'll show Davy Russell about the choice of target.

Personally, I think it was his jumping more than anything else that produced yesterday's win.

Comment

• I am starting to get quite strong feelings that Presenting Percy will beat Monalee in the RSA.... here are 5 reasons why....

1. Davy Russell I don't think will have gotten it wrong... he must know which horse he'd have preferred to be on... and he made his choice. That much is obvious. I think that is a positive for PP vs Monalee.

2. Monalee is pacier than he's given credit for. I would give Presenting Percy NO chance of winning against Monalee 2m4f. I agree with an earlier comment that there might be a bit of trying to prove Davy wrong about the RSA being the target

3. IF there is a Gold Cup horse out of the two, it is DEFINITELY PP. Already won over 3m5f so the stamina is not an issue for him. He is more of the BOAT that you need to be for the GC (And the RSA looking at previous winners!)

4. Over rating Monalee's hurdle form -
                Over 3m he has beaten Battleford and Woods Wells who are 130 rated horse... neither done any winning since.
                2nd in the AB, Best run but dreadful race? Apart from Wholestone arguably, who has 1 win since beating Agrapart on heavy...(and the winner... who hasn't been out to test the form, either way, he was beaten by him anyway)
                3rd try... beaten again, weakened after the last and 12L back... (did finish ahead of PP that day and ABP)...

I am not KNOCKING that form, as it is solid enough, but 1 win in his 3 attempts at 3m does NOT scream that he excels over that trip to me....

5. Monalee's overall form figures (excluding bumpers) at 2m-2m4f 1211 / 2m5+ 124F - I prefer the four results he has at the shorter trips! I think Presenting Percy's best two pieces of form are at 3m and 3m5f .... whereas Monalee's is at 2m5f and 3m

If only it was a two horse race and I could steam in

Comment

• However PP best form is in handicaps while rated at 145/146 meanwhile Monalees is in graded company and has beaten PP straight up over 3m

Will end up being an on the day pick for me

Comment

I am starting to get quite strong feelings that Presenting Percy will beat Monalee in the RSA.... here are 5 reasons why....

1. Davy Russell I don't think will have gotten it wrong... he must know which horse he'd have preferred to be on... and he made his choice. That much is obvious. I think that is a positive for PP vs Monalee.

2. Monalee is pacier than he's given credit for. I would give Presenting Percy NO chance of winning against Monalee 2m4f. I agree with an earlier comment that there might be a bit of trying to prove Davy wrong about the RSA being the target

3. IF there is a Gold Cup horse out of the two, it is DEFINITELY PP. Already won over 3m5f so the stamina is not an issue for him. He is more of the BOAT that you need to be for the GC (And the RSA looking at previous winners!)

Over 3m he has beaten Battleford and Woods Wells who are 130 rated horse... neither done any winning since.
                    2nd in the AB, Best run but dreadful race? Apart from Wholestone arguably, who has 1 win since beating Agrapart on heavy...(and the winner... who hasn't been out to test the form, either way, he was beaten by him anyway)
                    3rd try... beaten again, weakened after the last and 12L back... (did finish ahead of PP that day and ABP)...

I am not KNOCKING that form, as it is solid enough, but 1 win in his 3 attempts at 3m does NOT scream that he excels over that trip to me....

5. Monalee's overall form figures (excluding bumpers) at 2m-2m4f 1211 / 2m5+ 124F - I prefer the four results he has at the shorter trips! I think Presenting Percy's best two pieces of form are at 3m and 3m5f .... whereas Monalee's is at 2m5f and 3m

Personally I think Moralee chasing form looks pretty good, He has only ran 3 times over the bigger fences finishing 1F1 won well the first time, had a horrible fall and getting kicked when going well, still came out next time and won one of the best novice chases I have seen this year so far.

I know this is 3f longer but if he jumps as well as he did last time and at that speed on better ground plus keeps improving I could see him taking PP off his feet or anything else. IMO
                    Last edited by Sirbetalot; 6 February 2018, 02:47 AM.

Comment

I am starting to get quite strong feelings that Presenting Percy will beat Monalee in the RSA.... here are 5 reasons why....

Points 1 4 and 5 are absolute nonsense kev the last line in point 4 answers itself.
                      In a 2 horse race only a fall or an act of god could save you.
                      Last edited by Scooby91; 6 February 2018, 06:18 AM.
                      https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
                      Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hurricane fly View Post
                        However PP best form is in handicaps while rated at 145/146 meanwhile Monalees is in graded company and has beaten PP straight up over 3m

Will end up being an on the day pick for me
                        No doubt,
                        handicaps are no where near what presenting percy is about to encounter.

If that was the case might asell make monbeg notorious and fountains windfall co favs alomg side and disregard all the graded races.
                        Last edited by Scooby91; 6 February 2018, 06:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
                          Points 1 4 and 5 are absolute nonsense kev the last line in point 4 answers itself.
                          In a 2 horse race only a fall or an act of god could save you.
                          I’m pretty sure Russell has a retainer to ride the Kelly/Reynolds horses, which would render point 1 as a moot one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
                            No doubt,
                            handicaps are no where near what presenting percy is about to encounter.

If that was the case might asell make monbeg notorious and fountains windfall co favs alomg side and disregard all the graded races.
                            I would say the jury is very much out as to how good last year's Albert Bartlett and that's probably being kind.

Given that they might both have been over the top it might not be the wisest idea to draw definite conclusion about the Punchestown meeting.

No, the RSA is not handicap but that doesn't mean what Presenting Percy has done in handicaps isn't good enough to win it. He looks a very good jumper and a strong stayer. Ideally, I think he wants a strong pace to run at which you are far more likely to get at Cheltenham than in small field Graded races elsewhere.

I think Presenting Percy could have shaken them up in the Gold Cup this year so I will be very disappointed if he can't take care of Monalee should he oppose him in the RSA. I would be far more concerned about his run style as a hold up horse will always need that bit of luck in running.

Comment

• There is only 1 over priced horse left in this race now for me and I've mentioned her enough already.

As for the market principles I think PP would beat Monalee in this race, but now I don't believe Monalee will end up here anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by kinloch brae View Post
                                I would say the jury is very much out as to how good last year's Albert Bartlett and that's probably being kind.

Given that they might both have been over the top it might not be the wisest idea to draw definite conclusion about the Punchestown meeting.

No, the RSA is not handicap but that doesn't mean what Presenting Percy has done in handicaps isn't good enough to win it. He looks a very good jumper and a strong stayer. Ideally, I think he wants a strong pace to run at which you are far more likely to get at Cheltenham than in small field Graded races elsewhere.

I think Presenting Percy could have shaken them up in the Gold Cup this year so I will be very disappointed if he can't take care of Monalee should he oppose him in the RSA. I would be far more concerned about his run style as a hold up horse will always need that bit of luck in running.
                                Not long left now until we find out who wins. I'll be personally shocked if fountains windfall won. And suprised if presenting percy wins. The one thing in the latter's favour like kev said he gets the trip very well. However I don't believe he can go the clip and jump well enough while doing it. He was tenderly handled after he was beaten by shattered love and jury duty but there was a reason for him not being able to win in the first place, before davy gave up trying and saved him for another day. The same reason i believe that will come out in the rsa. Yanworth I believe has a bigger engine and can get away with it to an extent. But it may well find him out also.

Dounikos
                                Invitation only
                                Monalee
                                Yanworth
                                Alboum photo.
                                Which ever ones get split rsa , one will win rsa one will win the jlt. IMO
                                Last edited by Scooby91; 6 February 2018, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X