Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

RSA Chase 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's not forget that what novices do in October is all about their education, no NH horse peaks at this time of year and I think we can expect DD to come on a bundle after today.
    I fully expect him to jump cleaner and quicker next time, but of course as he improves so will his opponents....

Comment

Yeah in terms of the RSA as a target I thought it was a lovely run. Nothing there in my eye to suggest the trip was too far. A lot can change of course and we know Gigginstown will have the final say more often than not. Another point to bear in mind is if say they do favour the shorter trip and Finians Oscar takes to fences as well as most expect then it could look a tall order taking him on having 7 lengths to make up when they met over hurdles.

And let's not forget no one would of had last year's RSA winner after he got beat on his debut at Ffos Las looking far from fluent

Comment

I'm maybe being unduly harsh on DD but his in-running comments are:

Prominent, slight mistake 1st, on terms 3rd and soon led, bad mistake 5th, soon went on, reduced lead from 3 out, went on again from next until bad mistake last, soon strongly pressed and joined, ridden out hands and heels to assert again near finish

Added to that, he was slow at a couple, giving them too much air. He will obviously improve for the run but it looks like the bookies took a similar view to me, as not one of the major bookies cut him in the RSA market.

Comment

Originally posted by archie View Post
          Carries his head too low for my taste although he obviously has an engine.
          I was thinking the same and wondered if he'd be better without the noseband.

Comment

Not bad start to fences , will come on a bundle. He is very much ground dependant , and his Cheltenham run kind of proved that. Will be a big player in the pre Cheltenham festival races i feel though.

Comment

"He's a proper, big three-mile chaser. At this stage, of all the good horses I've had, none of them were ever as good as hurdlers, but that doesn't mean they'll do it as chasers."

A quote from Elliott last January. See no reason why he should of changed his mind regarding the trip!

Comment

Originally posted by Innoko View Post
                "He's a proper, big three-mile chaser. At this stage, of all the good horses I've had, none of them were ever as good as hurdlers, but that doesn't mean they'll do it as chasers."

A quote from Elliott last January. See no reason why he should of changed his mind regarding the trip!
                That was before his Albert Bartlett run though. The tank was empty at the bottom of the hill, or that's how it appeared to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                  That was before his Albert Bartlett run though. The tank was empty at the bottom of the hill, or that's how it appeared to me.
                  Or he was a sick horse...

Comment

An impressive win in the Drinmore and you'd think the JLT would come right back in to the mix regardless of what was said before... he'd have 2x G1 at the trip then..... I am already on DD at porices that are still available, but I would not have a bet on his for the festival at this stage... MAINLY due to the target now being uncertain. I Do still think the RSA but at 16s it isn't worth paying to find out.

Lucky for me and my 14's

Comment

Gordy has won 3 of the last 6 runnings of the Drinmore.

All 3 winners then went an ran in the RSA.

If Death Duty makes the Drinmore and runs well, I would except to see him go for the RSA

Comment

Don't know about many others, but I see this as the most competitive of the Novice Chase races.

Yanworth, Willoughby Court, Monalee & Death Duty all looked in need of at least 2m 4f over hurdles, Bacardys less so, but I have no doubt he will stay 3m over bigger obstacles, having won a PTP.

I don't feel any of them, with the exception of maybe Yanworth, will have the pace for a shorter distance, at the very top level, which leaves them with this race or the National Hunt over 4m on day 1.

It would also leave the other 2 Novice Chases with little in them mind.

Again, all need to be able to jump a fence too!

Comment

He wants two and a half miles, he's won over two and a half all last year. To be honest, if he went and winged the last he'd have won by six or seven lengths on the bridle and everything would have been fine [regarding questions over his optimum trip], but I don't think he could have done any more than what he did. He's having a real good blow after the race too.

He wants two and a half miles, he's won over two and a half all last year. To be honest, if he went and winged the last he'd have won by six or seven lengths on the bridle and everything would have been fine [regarding questions over his optimum trip], but I don't think he could have done any more than what he did. He's having a real good blow after the race too.

I believe this to be misquoted as I haven't seen the part about him WANTING 2 1/2 on original quotes
                          https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
                          Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post

I believe this to be misquoted as I haven't seen the part about him WANTING 2 1/2 on original quotes
                            Which part misquoted Scooby?

Comment

"He wants two and a half miles" I haven't seen that in the original quotes on Irish racing/ atr/ racing uk sites.. Apologies if I'm wrong
                              https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
                              Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
                                Don't know about many others, but I see this as the most competitive of the Novice Chase races.

Yanworth, Willoughby Court, Monalee & Death Duty all looked in need of at least 2m 4f over hurdles, Bacardys less so, but I have no doubt he will stay 3m over bigger obstacles, having won a PTP.

I don't feel any of them, with the exception of maybe Yanworth, will have the pace for a shorter distance, at the very top level, which leaves them with this race or the National Hunt over 4m on day 1.

It would also leave the other 2 Novice Chases with little in them mind.

Again, all need to be able to jump a fence too!
                                Interesting. I am a little unsure about this season being THE season that they all will go for 3m. I think in time, they'll all be staying chasers ... but comments the trainer of Yanworth and Willoughby Court have both mooted 2m4f for this season AND obviously the GE comments aren't cast-iron about target now either for Death Duty.

Monalee is more likely to go 4m than JLT but I haven't seen anything to back that up, and his form tailed off for me a little in the spring?

I'm also thinking Bacardys might end up in the 4m race because as Patrick Mullins' ride, so I can't really pin anything in this race as a definite runner yet! The 12's any race for Bacardys look better than the 16s for this race!

I definitely do think a few of them will turn up that you mentioned, but I wouldn't like to say which? Constantine Bay is the shortest price runner I'd be confident of running here (at 25/1) and I am not in any rush to back that before I see him jump as he'd need to improve for a fence.

DD wasn't impressive enough to back at his current odds. Monalee I want to see improve for a fence. Yanworth is too short for a horse that had an extra season over hurdles (again, I want to see him jumping) and Willoughby Court isn't certain to show up either in this.... very tough race for me at this stage!

Comment

Working...
                                X