Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: RSA Chase 2018

Carries his head too low for my taste although he obviously has an engine. Interesting/strange how early Gordon is running some of his festival horses.

Just watched the replay.

I think it was a more than satisfactory performance from DD myself though I was expecting to see a slightly more polished or shall I say natural round of jumping. I wonder running this early on in the season how much schooling he has had? so i'll certainly give him the benefit of the doubt on his first run . They were 'novicey' mistakes he made and he showed plenty of speed to pick up after the mistake at the last which was encouraging.

7/10 for me. Would I be backing him for Cheltenham after the race if I wasn't already involved though...No! I hope and would expect to see a big improvement in his next run which is then when I think we can judge him better.
    I wonder if his low carriage could be a hinderance over fences?

Looks like the JLT is the main aim though from Elliott after the race though...which is in no help to me antepost bets!

It's job done," said Elliott, who has never hidden his faith in the son of Shantou. "That's the thing when you get messy races like that. Davy said he never came out of second gear but the horse wanted to be brave the whole way he was trying to get him to pop it. He said if he gave him a kick at the last he could have turned upside down, so he had to sit it and got in too close.

"He's a good horse a very good horse. The one thing you need to be a champion is heart, and he's got heart. He could have got beaten when he made the mistake at the last but he came back. I'd imagine we'll try to find one more race and then head to the Drinmore, all being well.

"He wants two and a half miles, he's won over two and a half all last year. To be honest, if he went and winged the last he'd have won by six or seven lengths on the bridle and everything would have been fine [regarding questions over his optimum trip], but I don't think he could have done any more than what he did. He's having a real good blow after the race too.
    The Drinmore has been a decent stepping stone onto the RSA though in the past though, notably Don Cossack and No More Heroes taking in that race before going onto run in the RSA

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    The Drinmore has been a decent stepping stone onto the RSA though in the past though, notably Don Cossack and No More Heroes taking in that race before going onto run in the RSA
    With notably catastrophic results.

Found the comments about 2 and a half miles a bit strange from Elliott.

Wasn't stopping over 2m 7f today. And he just doesn't look a JLT type. Although I know a lot less than his trainer!

Agree, found it a very strange remark. Hes been 100% sure hes a 3m horse for the last 9months. 2mf7 today on heavy and then still had plenty in the tank but he wants 2m5? Not for me

Let's not forget that what novices do in October is all about their education, no NH horse peaks at this time of year and I think we can expect DD to come on a bundle after today.
    I fully expect him to jump cleaner and quicker next time, but of course as he improves so will his opponents....

Yeah in terms of the RSA as a target I thought it was a lovely run. Nothing there in my eye to suggest the trip was too far. A lot can change of course and we know Gigginstown will have the final say more often than not. Another point to bear in mind is if say they do favour the shorter trip and Finians Oscar takes to fences as well as most expect then it could look a tall order taking him on having 7 lengths to make up when they met over hurdles.

And let's not forget no one would of had last year's RSA winner after he got beat on his debut at Ffos Las looking far from fluent

I'm maybe being unduly harsh on DD but his in-running comments are:

Prominent, slight mistake 1st, on terms 3rd and soon led, bad mistake 5th, soon went on, reduced lead from 3 out, went on again from next until bad mistake last, soon strongly pressed and joined, ridden out hands and heels to assert again near finish

Added to that, he was slow at a couple, giving them too much air. He will obviously improve for the run but it looks like the bookies took a similar view to me, as not one of the major bookies cut him in the RSA market.

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Carries his head too low for my taste although he obviously has an engine.
    I was thinking the same and wondered if he'd be better without the noseband.

Not bad start to fences , will come on a bundle. He is very much ground dependant , and his Cheltenham run kind of proved that. Will be a big player in the pre Cheltenham festival races i feel though.