Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

JLT Novices 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by archie View Post
    Never a truer word spoken

Monalee and Al Boum Photo were doing no harm to the RSA form, but then again, Invitation Only was brought down and Finian's carried out... so by no means out of it either for the JLT form.

Still can't get over that race.

I can't wait to see all of these next season... it does look like a strong overall year for novice chasers (from Footpad to Presenting Percy) and plenty of the ones mentioned in here looking like they'll make the step up to open company, where they're needed

Comment

• My comment about several horses being within a poor or good jump of each other turned out to be prescient. The trick now is to work out which ones can progress in open company and stay fit.

As far as I can see, official ratings are:
      166 Footpad
      165 Presenting Percy
      160 Al Boum Photo
      159 Sceau Royal
      158 Monalee
      158 Saint Calvados
      157 Diego Du Charmil
      156 Finian's Oscar
      156 Kemboy
      156 Petit Mouchoir
      155 Brain Power
      155 The Storyteller
      153 Rathvinden
      153 Shattered Love
      152 Invitation Only
      150 Castlegrace Paddy
      150 Dounikos
      146 Cadmium

This compares with last year's list that included:

170 Altior
      164 Yorkhill
      162 Might Bite
      158 Disko
      157 Road To Respect
      157 Top Notch
      157 Whisper
      155 Cloudy Dream
      154 Politologue
      Last edited by archie; 1 May 2018, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• Don’t like sceau royal being so highly rated. He’s not raced in any of the spring festivals so a 5 length beating of North Hilll Harvey puts him as rates as the 4th best horse in comparison to last years crop?

Comment

• I've edited to add Diego Du Charmil on 157. Personally think that he, Petit Mouchoir and Saint Calvados have inter-connected form that is over-rated. The latest RP Podcast boosts Cadmium as the only 2m novice likely to give Footpad a race.

Comment

• Ratings are crucial to handicaps, obviously, but it's clear either the Irish handicapper is incompetent or the UK 'capper is too harsh, something has to change....

Comment

• Originally posted by archie View Post
              I've edited to add Diego Du Charmil on 157. Personally think that he, Petit Mouchoir and Saint Calvados have inter-connected form that is over-rated. The latest RP Podcast boosts Cadmium as the only 2m novice likely to give Footpad a race.
              Where do we think cadmium could head race wise next year for the festival ? Not heard a lot about this horse

Comment

• I'm not normally a big Tom Segal fan but I'm beginning to warm to him after his piece mentioning Cadmium in the Weekender:
                'I don't think I've seen a more impressive performance in a 2m chase for years........
                He simply has to be top class and I wouldn't be surprised to see him become a major factor for the Champion Chase or the Ryanair next season.'

I'd assume that he'd get 3 months out at grass then preparation for a campaign starting in November. Willie is always flexible over distance so he'd have an open mind but he accelerated so well off a fast 2 mile pace that you'd like to see him at graded level at that trip. However, with Douvan, Min, Great Field, UDS and Footpad in the mix, it's an impossible call 6 months ahead.
                Some may be interested in this short video:

Comment

• It's good to hear TS say all those things about Cadmium so I can see why you'd be warming to him.

Personally, I don't listen to a single word he says. He talks absolute rubbish 90% of the time and is stealing a living from racing.

Comment

Working...
                  X