Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

JLT Novices 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
    A rematch of Willoughby court v yanworth set for the dipper novices chase at Cheltenham, a clear round and I could see the tables turned personally. But a clear round not a certainty.
    Not a particularly good race for Festival winners on quick glance.... last years running between Whipser and CDO might look very strong by Saturday night though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
      Not a particularly good race for Festival winners on quick glance.... last years running between Whipser and CDO might look very strong by Saturday night though.
      Finians Oscar another one set for the dipper.
      I
      https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
      Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

• Just having a look at this race again ....

Modus 25/1
        Kalondra 33/1

Might both look over priced?

Mulholland said: "The race last time (at Wincanton), the pace didn't suit him. At least there was a little bit of pace there and thankfully it worked out well.

"I think at the moment that's his trip as that is what he has been running at over hurdles.

"He likes to come off a nice strong pace. Noel (Fehily) said he warmed up nicely.

"He might go to the JLT and we could look at that."

Comment

Just having a look at this race again ....

Modus 25/1
          Kalondra 33/1

Might both look over priced?

Mulholland said: "The race last time (at Wincanton), the pace didn't suit him. At least there was a little bit of pace there and thankfully it worked out well.

"I think at the moment that's his trip as that is what he has been running at over hurdles.

"He likes to come off a nice strong pace. Noel (Fehily) said he warmed up nicely.

"He might go to the JLT and we could look at that."
          Nor sure if kalondra is on the exchange market but if not add it and you will get a much bigger price if it was a fancy for yourself.

Comment

• Just looking at the betting for this and thinking out loud as usual about Willie Mullins.....

Since the race began in 2011, Willie has had a runner in the race every year:

2011 Blazing Tempo 11/1 5th
            2012 Sir Des Champs 3/1 1st
            2013 Marito 12/1 Fell / Aupcharlie 15/2 11th
            2014 Felix Yonger 7/2F 4th / Djakadam 14/1 Fell / Mozoltov 11/1 Fell
            2015 Vautour 6/4F 1st / Valsuer Lido 9/2 3rd
            2016 Black Hercules 4/1C 1st / Outlander 6/1 Fell
            2017 Yorkhill 6/4F 1st

Now the removal of Gigginstown horses has, for my money, definitely had an effect on the numer of novice chasers Willie will have (as he's run a Gigginstown horse in the majority of runnings of the race (Balko Des Flos was with Willie at the start of 2017 who Fell in 2017 too)

However, as Mullins/Walsh have won the last 3 in a row, and Mullins has won 4 of the 7 renewals, it doesn't take a genius to guess that he is likely to aim one of his better horses at the race... backed up to my mind a little further down too....

So in the betting Mullins has:

Footpad 14/1
            Bacardys 20/1
            Invitation Only 20/1
            Dalko Moriviere 25/1
            Melon 25/1
            Saturnas 25/1
            Al Boum Photo 33/1
            Bamako Moriviere 33/1
            Bonbon Au Miel 33/1
            Chacun Pour Soi 33/1
            Koshari 33/1
            Rathvinden 33/1

A few of them aren't quoted by PP, now some people probably won't care about that, but I do, and it is my post... so that eliminates Koshari, Chacun Pour Soi, Bonbon Au Miel, Saturnas... and they are ONLY shortest on Rathvinden at 20/1, however 33/1 is available with BFSB so that doesn't sit quite right for me to read too far in to it. - I am most reluctant to rule our Chacun Pour Soi, as in One Jump Ahead he is mentioned as a JLT prospect, and he is (in the same book) Rich Ricci's horse to follow for the season... but why wouldn't they have a price unless he'd had a setback? He also wasn't inthe Racing Post stable tour with Willie Mullins?
            **edit** PP have Chacun Pour Soi at 20/1 Arkle, 20/1 RSA, not quoted JLT - looks more a mistake than anything... ?? WH are 14/1 any race though which would be a better bet than anything else...

Back to my list...I think it is pretty safe to remove Melon too, as he won't be going novice chasing, as well as the ones mentioned above

Footpad 14/1
            Bacardys 20/1
            Invitation Only 20/1
            Dalko Moriviere 25/1
            Al Boum Photo 33/1
            Bamako Moriviere 33/1
            Rathvinden 33/1

In the same time period (since 2011) Mullins' runners in the RSA have been Mikael D'Haguenet (fell), Quel Espirit (fell), Call The Police (3rd), Bostob Bob (Fell), Terminal (5th), Balleycasey (4th), Don Poli (1st), Adriana Des Mottes (4th), Shaneshill (2nd), Roi Des Francs (6th), Bellshill (3rd).

His only winner in that time being Don Poli and Mullins wanted to put Don Poli in the 4 miler, and gigginstown wouldn't allow it. Although a loose theory, my thoughts are that the JLT is a race that Willie has had more success with, will feel he knows how to win and with less novice staying chasers coming through (re: Gigginstown) and the option of any stayers he does have going the 4 mile route for his son/assistant to ride are defintiely a factor...

In terms of debuts for Mullins' JLT shortest priced horse.... Yorkhill's chase debut was 17th Dec (a year to the day ago funnily enough), Black Hercules was 14th Dec, Vautour 23rd Nov, Felix Yonger 7th December, Marito 29th Nov, Sir Des Champs 3rd Dec

So the chances are, we've already seen his JLT horse... and although Djakadam and Outlander did debut over Christmas over fences, I am not sure whether that was by design or forced, but as mentioned, they weren't the stables 'fancied' horse.... which for me means I can rule out Dalko Moriviere .... *gone*

Leaving my a shortlist of:

Footpad 14/1
            Bacardys 20/1
            Invitation Only 20/1
            Al Boum Photo 33/1
            Bamako Moriviere 33/1
            Rathvinden 33/1

Footpad is first, and obviously I've already thought about the other race at the festival, the Arkle... might as well do the same bit of digging for this one as the other two novice chases... Since 2011 Mullins Arkle runners......
            2011 No Runner,
            2012 Blackstairmountain 20/1 5th of 6
            2013 Arvika Ligeonniere 15/2 PU
            2014 Champagne Fever 11/4J 2nd
            2015 Un De Sceaux 4/6F 1st
            2016 Douvan 1/4F 1st
            2017 Royal Caviar 6/1 4th

Only 1 runner each year which is intersting to me (apart from 2011 when he had no runner) and all but one have been a Ricci horse (when UDS was the clear fav and Vautour won JLT 6/4 - certainly don't have any doubts myself that Vautour would have won the Arkle that season too but was better suited to the JLT as it transpired!)

What I DO think is interesting is that Mullins sends a 'top class' horse here when there isn't a 'superstar' in competition... Champange Fever, UDS and DOuvan are all grade 1 horses.... for me, Royal Caviar, Blackstairmountain and Arvika Ligeonniere are not... but they were up against Altior, Simonsig and Sprinter Sacre.... it is very safe to say that there isn't a horse of that profile going in to this years Arkle, which to me suggests Mullins will fire one of his 'top prospects' at it... which from my list can only be Footpad? He has mentioned him as an Arkle horse. The owners have also said they don't mind two in the same race with reference to the Arkle, so moderately reluctantly, in an 'open looking' Arkle, I am going to say Footpad will be a non-runner here (unless beaten over 2m at Christmas!)

Left with -

Bacardys 20/1
            Invitation Only 20/1
            Al Boum Photo 33/1
            Bamako Moriviere 33/1
            Rathvinden 33/1

Definitely can make a case for Bacardys, Invitation Only, Al Boum Photo, Bamaka Moriviere and Rathvinden being more likely RSA/4 miler types, however BLACK HERCULES was the fav for the 4 miler until a fairly late switch which proved to be absolutely spot on..... of these horses I have left, I am trying to think about which ones he has said "have speed/pace" ... I think you can just about make a case for all of them!

In the Punchestown champion novice hurdle, Bacardys had Finian's Oscar 8/1 2nd fav and Death Duty 6/1 fav for the JLT beaten...he had his chance completely taken away at Cheltenham when a very well backed 2nd fav behind Neon Wolf that Willoughby Court won (3rd fav in JLT market) he also won the Grade 1 deloitte over 2m2f and although it looked to me at the time like he 'stayed on best', Patrick Mullins wouldn't exactly be the most stylish jockey and would be no nonsense, so being off the bridle first might be over played in that race? - He had Brelade in behind who is being used a yardstick this season for other horses too over a speed distance of 2m.

I agreed with the points made in the RSA thread about Invitiation Only stepping up in trip, but it wouldn't be an almighty shock if IO ended up here? After all, his win was over 2m4f and that was the best piece of form we've got for him so far.... in the same ownership as the last two winners, Black Hercules and Yorkhill, I think it'd be crazy to rule it out for a 3rd crack for the owner? (Although I don't think he cares/has a say in where they do run!)

Al Boum Photo - looks a proper stayer, BUT has won over 16f, 17f, and 20f and been beaten over 24f (not a compeltely fair stick to beat him with as the 24f race was the best race he's contested) but again, I think it would be impossible to completely rule out a run in this race?

Rathvinden has a really strange profile because he's been off the track, but was only 3L behind the JLT fav Death Duty and is 5 times the price - his last 2 wins have both been over 20f as well and he placed 5L behind Faugheen over 21f at Cheltenham.... easily enough to say he could be aimed at the JLT

Bamako Moriviere is a horse I know someone else has made a case for and has a 16f win over Tombstone, and a 20f win (more impressivly) by 16L to Jury Duty who won next time out - could end up in any of the races (Arkle or JLT I'd guess) and is the one I know the least/have the least to say about!

Any thoughts welcome.... I haven't backed anything on the back of this yet... these are just thoughts.
            Last edited by Kevloaf; 17 December 2017, 05:18 PM. Reason: Note in the Chacun Pour Soi section

Comment

• Any thoughts of Koshari?

Won well today at 2.2 in heavy would suggest he could be a 2.5miler

Comment

Just looking at the betting for this and thinking out loud as usual about Willie Mullins.....

Since the race began in 2011, Willie has had a runner in the race every year:

2011 Blazing Tempo 11/1 5th
                2012 Sir Des Champs 3/1 1st
                2013 Marito 12/1 Fell / Aupcharlie 15/2 11th
                2014 Felix Yonger 7/2F 4th / Djakadam 14/1 Fell / Mozoltov 11/1 Fell
                2015 Vautour 6/4F 1st / Valsuer Lido 9/2 3rd
                2016 Black Hercules 4/1C 1st / Outlander 6/1 Fell
                2017 Yorkhill 6/4F 1st

Now the removal of Gigginstown horses has, for my money, definitely had an effect on the numer of novice chasers Willie will have (as he's run a Gigginstown horse in the majority of runnings of the race (Balko Des Flos was with Willie at the start of 2017 who Fell in 2017 too)

However, as Mullins/Walsh have won the last 3 in a row, and Mullins has won 4 of the 7 renewals, it doesn't take a genius to guess that he is likely to aim one of his better horses at the race... backed up to my mind a little further down too....

So in the betting Mullins has:

Footpad 14/1
                Bacardys 20/1
                Invitation Only 20/1
                Dalko Moriviere 25/1
                Melon 25/1
                Saturnas 25/1
                Al Boum Photo 33/1
                Bamako Moriviere 33/1
                Bonbon Au Miel 33/1
                Chacun Pour Soi 33/1
                Koshari 33/1
                Rathvinden 33/1

A few of them aren't quoted by PP, now some people probably won't care about that, but I do, and it is my post... so that eliminates Koshari, Chacun Pour Soi, Bonbon Au Miel, Saturnas... and they are ONLY shortest on Rathvinden at 20/1, however 33/1 is available with BFSB so that doesn't sit quite right for me to read too far in to it. - I am most reluctant to rule our Chacun Pour Soi, as in One Jump Ahead he is mentioned as a JLT prospect, and he is (in the same book) Rich Ricci's horse to follow for the season... but why wouldn't they have a price unless he'd had a setback? He also wasn't inthe Racing Post stable tour with Willie Mullins?
                **edit** PP have Chacun Pour Soi at 20/1 Arkle, 20/1 RSA, not quoted JLT - looks more a mistake than anything... ?? WH are 14/1 any race though which would be a better bet than anything else...

Back to my list...I think it is pretty safe to remove Melon too, as he won't be going novice chasing, as well as the ones mentioned above

Footpad 14/1
                Bacardys 20/1
                Invitation Only 20/1
                Dalko Moriviere 25/1
                Al Boum Photo 33/1
                Bamako Moriviere 33/1
                Rathvinden 33/1

In the same time period (since 2011) Mullins' runners in the RSA have been Mikael D'Haguenet (fell), Quel Espirit (fell), Call The Police (3rd), Bostob Bob (Fell), Terminal (5th), Balleycasey (4th), Don Poli (1st), Adriana Des Mottes (4th), Shaneshill (2nd), Roi Des Francs (6th), Bellshill (3rd).

His only winner in that time being Don Poli and Mullins wanted to put Don Poli in the 4 miler, and gigginstown wouldn't allow it. Although a loose theory, my thoughts are that the JLT is a race that Willie has had more success with, will feel he knows how to win and with less novice staying chasers coming through (re: Gigginstown) and the option of any stayers he does have going the 4 mile route for his son/assistant to ride are defintiely a factor...

In terms of debuts for Mullins' JLT shortest priced horse.... Yorkhill's chase debut was 17th Dec (a year to the day ago funnily enough), Black Hercules was 14th Dec, Vautour 23rd Nov, Felix Yonger 7th December, Marito 29th Nov, Sir Des Champs 3rd Dec

So the chances are, we've already seen his JLT horse... and although Djakadam and Outlander did debut over Christmas over fences, I am not sure whether that was by design or forced, but as mentioned, they weren't the stables 'fancied' horse.... which for me means I can rule out Dalko Moriviere .... *gone*

Leaving my a shortlist of:

Footpad 14/1
                Bacardys 20/1
                Invitation Only 20/1
                Al Boum Photo 33/1
                Bamako Moriviere 33/1
                Rathvinden 33/1

Footpad is first, and obviously I've already thought about the other race at the festival, the Arkle... might as well do the same bit of digging for this one as the other two novice chases... Since 2011 Mullins Arkle runners......
                2011 No Runner,
                2012 Blackstairmountain 20/1 5th of 6
                2013 Arvika Ligeonniere 15/2 PU
                2014 Champagne Fever 11/4J 2nd
                2015 Un De Sceaux 4/6F 1st
                2016 Douvan 1/4F 1st
                2017 Royal Caviar 6/1 4th

Only 1 runner each year which is intersting to me (apart from 2011 when he had no runner) and all but one have been a Ricci horse (when UDS was the clear fav and Vautour won JLT 6/4 - certainly don't have any doubts myself that Vautour would have won the Arkle that season too but was better suited to the JLT as it transpired!)

What I DO think is interesting is that Mullins sends a 'top class' horse here when there isn't a 'superstar' in competition... Champange Fever, UDS and DOuvan are all grade 1 horses.... for me, Royal Caviar, Blackstairmountain and Arvika Ligeonniere are not... but they were up against Altior, Simonsig and Sprinter Sacre.... it is very safe to say that there isn't a horse of that profile going in to this years Arkle, which to me suggests Mullins will fire one of his 'top prospects' at it... which from my list can only be Footpad? He has mentioned him as an Arkle horse. The owners have also said they don't mind two in the same race with reference to the Arkle, so moderately reluctantly, in an 'open looking' Arkle, I am going to say Footpad will be a non-runner here (unless beaten over 2m at Christmas!)

Left with -

Bacardys 20/1
                Invitation Only 20/1
                Al Boum Photo 33/1
                Bamako Moriviere 33/1
                Rathvinden 33/1

Definitely can make a case for Bacardys, Invitation Only, Al Boum Photo, Bamaka Moriviere and Rathvinden being more likely RSA/4 miler types, however BLACK HERCULES was the fav for the 4 miler until a fairly late switch which proved to be absolutely spot on..... of these horses I have left, I am trying to think about which ones he has said "have speed/pace" ... I think you can just about make a case for all of them!

In the Punchestown champion novice hurdle, Bacardys had Finian's Oscar 8/1 2nd fav and Death Duty 6/1 fav for the JLT beaten...he had his chance completely taken away at Cheltenham when a very well backed 2nd fav behind Neon Wolf that Willoughby Court won (3rd fav in JLT market) he also won the Grade 1 deloitte over 2m2f and although it looked to me at the time like he 'stayed on best', Patrick Mullins wouldn't exactly be the most stylish jockey and would be no nonsense, so being off the bridle first might be over played in that race? - He had Brelade in behind who is being used a yardstick this season for other horses too over a speed distance of 2m.

I agreed with the points made in the RSA thread about Invitiation Only stepping up in trip, but it wouldn't be an almighty shock if IO ended up here? After all, his win was over 2m4f and that was the best piece of form we've got for him so far.... in the same ownership as the last two winners, Black Hercules and Yorkhill, I think it'd be crazy to rule it out for a 3rd crack for the owner? (Although I don't think he cares/has a say in where they do run!)

Al Boum Photo - looks a proper stayer, BUT has won over 16f, 17f, and 20f and been beaten over 24f (not a compeltely fair stick to beat him with as the 24f race was the best race he's contested) but again, I think it would be impossible to completely rule out a run in this race?

Rathvinden has a really strange profile because he's been off the track, but was only 3L behind the JLT fav Death Duty and is 5 times the price - his last 2 wins have both been over 20f as well and he placed 5L behind Faugheen over 21f at Cheltenham.... easily enough to say he could be aimed at the JLT

Bamako Moriviere is a horse I know someone else has made a case for and has a 16f win over Tombstone, and a 20f win (more impressivly) by 16L to Jury Duty who won next time out - could end up in any of the races (Arkle or JLT I'd guess) and is the one I know the least/have the least to say about!

Any thoughts welcome.... I haven't backed anything on the back of this yet... these are just thoughts.
                Dalko moriviere goes novice hurdling.
                Chacun pour soi had a setback. He's also a very keen runner

Bamako moriviere I like but a lack of entry anywhere when Willie block enters them and pulled from his target in the drinmore would worry me.

Bacardys I'd be pretty sure goes further than 2m4.
                Footpad at this second is unlikely but you never know.

Al boum photo Is decent he's a live outsider for both races at 3 figures on exchanges.

There's a few you've missed out that I'm sure at his ould fill you in about.

Saturnas deffinately wants further than 2 whether he's good enough for a jlt is another matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hurricane fly View Post
                  Any thoughts of Koshari?

Won well today at 2.2 in heavy would suggest he could be a 2.5miler
                  Beat absolute trees. Hed have to improve considerably for a fence. Was expecting a bit of undeserved hype on the arkle thread today I must admit.

Comment

• Very thorough, Kev. Thanks for that.

All I can offer in addition is that there are a number (at all distances) who have been held back because the going has been desperate. The most likely place for them to appear would be Leopardstown as there's a 17f Beginners Chase on the 27th and 21f on the 28th.

Comment

• Bamako Moriviere really interests me in this race and at 33/1 with Bet365 may be worth a punt (16's in a number of places). He should be 3/3 over fences and the form of his victory over Jury Duty et al has been well franked. I think he's a 2 1/2 miler and there's nothing for him at Leopardstown at Christmas but would not be surprised to see him turn up in the Grade 2 at Limerick on the 26th. He also has form on good ground so faster ground in March may not be such an issue.

Comment

• Gordon Elliott is set to let Death Duty line up in the Greenmount Park Novice Chase at Limerick on St Stephen's Day.

The Gigginstown House Stud-owned six-year-old was a Grade One winner over hurdles and stretched his unbeaten record over fences to three with a dominant display in the Drinmore Novice Chase at Fairyhouse earlier this month.

He is entered in the two-mile-one-furlong Racing Post Novice Chase and the Neville Hotels Novice Chase over three miles at Leopardstown next week, but Elliott is keen to keep him over the intermediate distance of around two and a half miles at Limerick.

"I'm 99 per cent sure I'm going to go to Limerick for the Grade Two," the trainer told At The Races.

"I'm not sure three miles is what he wants now. Davy Russell is actually on to me to bring him back to two miles, but that would probably suit Davy better, if he went to Leopardstown.

"At the moment he's definitely going to Limerick, Davy and Jack (Kennedy) will probably be in Leopardstown, so Keith Donoghue will ride him."

Interesting comments re Davy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Can't Catch Me View Post
                          Gordon Elliott is set to let Death Duty line up in the Greenmount Park Novice Chase at Limerick on St Stephen's Day.

The Gigginstown House Stud-owned six-year-old was a Grade One winner over hurdles and stretched his unbeaten record over fences to three with a dominant display in the Drinmore Novice Chase at Fairyhouse earlier this month.

He is entered in the two-mile-one-furlong Racing Post Novice Chase and the Neville Hotels Novice Chase over three miles at Leopardstown next week, but Elliott is keen to keep him over the intermediate distance of around two and a half miles at Limerick.

"I'm 99 per cent sure I'm going to go to Limerick for the Grade Two," the trainer told At The Races.

"I'm not sure three miles is what he wants now. Davy Russell is actually on to me to bring him back to two miles, but that would probably suit Davy better, if he went to Leopardstown.

"At the moment he's definitely going to Limerick, Davy and Jack (Kennedy) will probably be in Leopardstown, so Keith Donoghue will ride him."

Interesting comments re Davy.
                          Davy just wants a ride in that race with a chance to get some prize money. Nothing to do with Davy wanting him to run at 2 miles if there was a 2 1/2 on the same card

Comment

• Maybe he wants DD arkle, monalee JLT and PP RSA

Comment

• Originally posted by Bayoffreedom View Post
                              Bamako Moriviere really interests me in this race and at 33/1 with Bet365 may be worth a punt (16's in a number of places). He should be 3/3 over fences and the form of his victory over Jury Duty et al has been well franked. I think he's a 2 1/2 miler and there's nothing for him at Leopardstown at Christmas but would not be surprised to see him turn up in the Grade 2 at Limerick on the 26th. He also has form on good ground so faster ground in March may not be such an issue.
                              I remember backing him at Listowel hosing up until he fell at the last. He may well be an interesting play thank you.
                              Also a belated thanks for the winner on the flat(name escapes me) finished very close 2nd and somehow got given the race. I told several of my mates to back the horse, and the story goes that 2 of them had to run back into the bookies and dig the tickets out of the bin

Comment

• Originally posted by doctorwu View Post
                                I remember backing him at Listowel hosing up until he fell at the last. He may well be an interesting play thank you.
                                Also a belated thanks for the winner on the flat(name escapes me) finished very close 2nd and somehow got given the race. I told several of my mates to back the horse, and the story goes that 2 of them had to run back into the bookies and dig the tickets out of the bin
                                Love stories like that haha.

BOF, have you dabbled yourself with Bamako Moriviere? I have got 20/1 any race but considering this as the race?

Comment

Working...
                                X