Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cross Country Chase 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Garrison Savannah View Post
    17 entries for Friday's XC at Cheltenham including CoC, BTW, and JO. For this race I'll be more interested Auvergnat and Urgent de Gregaine but will be keeping a keen watching brief on the others if they run.
    The way it's priced up surely CoC and Josies Order aren't intended runners?

UDG and Auvergnat have both had a run recently so you'd expect a nice competitive race between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
      The way it's priced up surely CoC and Josies Order aren't intended runners?

UDG and Auvergnat have both had a run recently so you'd expect a nice competitive race between the two.
      If they do I'd fancy Josies Orders to come out on top at this time of year and with a run under his belt!

Comment

It's a handicap so everything will be getting weight from CoC if he runs on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
          It's a handicap so everything will be getting weight from CoC if he runs on Friday.
          CoC having weight wouldn't put me off at all, however.... CoC won't be anywhere near at peak for this.... probably similar to his first attempt at the 'XC' track will be more of what we see if he does run.... long way back, run on moderately?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
            CoC having weight wouldn't put me off at all, however.... CoC won't be anywhere near at peak for this.... probably similar to his first attempt at the 'XC' track will be more of what we see if he does run.... long way back, run on moderately?
            Absolutely. The past two seasons he has been a non trier until March.

Comment

CoC will no doubt in my mind go off Fav for this race March, like previously said even if he doesent do much in prep race he will still be tip top shape for the Cotswolds come March

Comment

I haven't had a bet on him , but i quite like the sound of Tiger roll in this race .

Comment

Originally posted by BigChaang View Post
                  I haven't had a bet on him , but i quite like the sound of Tiger roll in this race .
                  Where have you heard that?

Comment

Originally posted by BigChaang View Post
                    Fancy this fella for grand national , enigma of a horse , has more off days than my missus.

Comment

Haven't heard anything , but he's in the betting on oddschecker with B 365 and 1 other firm ,
                      If it was confirmed , i'd have to have a small wager !. As he's got previous at cheltenham.

Comment

Andy Holding | Tuesday 14th November 2017 / 15:49

Cross Country Chase - 14th March 2018

This unique race clearly divides the hardcore punter and casual racegoers alike, some finding it a welcome opportunity to catch a refreshment while trying to keep up with the fence count on the top of the nearest TV screen, while others see it as having a fitting place at the home of National Hunt racing as being the race closest to the purity of how the game begin racing from steeple to steeple with all and sundry in the way. Whichever side of the fence you sit on, it’s a race – other than Rivage D’Or – has gone the way of a horse that has already had vital experience of racing over the cross country course itself or tasted a similar a vibe over the Punchestown banks and that criteria makes life easy when analysing the likely players in the ante-post lists. Clearly, last year’s winner, Cause Of Causes, will be high on most punter’s lists and so will the previous hero Josies Orders, whereas the likes of The Last Samuri, Foxrock and Tiger Roll make little appeal on account of their lack of knowledge when it comes to these events.

Two others that do have the requisite profiles for the examination having proven themselves around the twists and turns of Prestbury Park are AUVERGNAT (best price 14-1) and URGENT DE GREGAINE (best price 25-1). The former was arguably unlucky not to triumph on his first visit to the home of National Hunt racing when coming down at the 26th obstacle whilst seemingly travelling supremely easily, but he quickly made up for that untimely exit with compensation gained courtesy of a hard-fought success at Punchestown two months later. Although he could only manage fourth behind Cause Of Causes on his return to Cheltenham, Enda Bolger’s inmate ran a good deal better than the bear result suggests as he made a few notable errors on the way round. Likely to have his whole campaign geared around this season’s renewal, the seven-year-old is probably just reaching the peak of his powers at this stage of his career and following a nice pipe-opener over hurdles at Galway recently, the son of Della Francesca should go close to putting an early marker down with a positive display in the first of the cross country events at the November Meeting this coming weekend (formerly the Paddy Power meeting).

Whether the latter would have beaten Auvergnat had he stood on his feet back in January is open to debate, but either way, you’d have to be impressed by the way the French horse adapted to the nuisances of the unique course at the first time of asking. Proving too strong late on for the hot favourite Cantlow, he put Enda Bolger’s charge in his place fair and square and although we never saw him again all season, he proved his current wellbeing with a tremendous effort in the Pardubicka a month ago. Set to run in the Glenfarcas Chase this coming Friday providing the ground is suitable, he, too, will be of huge interest in that race and providing he comes through that test with flying colours, connections will also have one eye on the Festival back in March, hoping and praying they get some rain in the build-up.

Auvergnat
                        0.5pts E/W
                        14/1

Urgent De Gregaine
                        0.5pts
                        25/1
                        Last edited by Kevloaf; 14 November 2017, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Big fan of Andy Holding....

which is handy as I've already backed:

1 pt e/w 16s Auvergnat.

0.5 pt e/w 25s UDG

1 pt win 10/1 CoC
                          2 pts e/w 9/1 CoC
                          6 pt win 9/1 CoC

Comment

Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
                            If they do I'd fancy Josies Orders to come out on top at this time of year and with a run under his belt!
                            Scrap that, looks like Auvergnat does run, at least PP have priced him up, but Betfair had removed him from the exchanges!
                            Last edited by ComplyOrDie; 16 November 2017, 10:04 AM.

Comment

I’m actually quite looking forward to Cause of Causes losing and possibly going back out to 10s

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane fly View Post
                                I’m actually quite looking forward to Cause of Causes losing and possibly going back out to 10s
                                No chance he would drift to 10s even if/ when he's tailed off again. I feel sorry for the people backing him tomorrow who may expect he's there to win.
                                https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
                                Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

Working...
                                X