Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cross Country Chase 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
    I think there's much improvement in the horse, just 4 banks runs and only getting the soft ground he needs once in those runs.
    Ran a belter on debut, would have gone close on Trials Day then winning the PP Hogan, he never ran his race at the Festival when ground was seriously quick, the watering can will come out if needed this season and ground will be more akin to staying chasers....
    I'm not sure they are able to put much water on the XC course, or the drainage is much better on that part of the course. Either way, the ground always seems much quicker than the actual racecourse.

I was there the year that Garde Champetre was fatally injured () and the cross country ground was like a road.

Comment

I think there's much improvement in the horse, just 4 banks runs and only getting the soft ground he needs once in those runs.
      Ran a belter on debut, would have gone close on Trials Day then winning the PP Hogan, he never ran his race at the Festival when ground was seriously quick, the watering can will come out if needed this season and ground will be more akin to staying chasers....
      Cause of Causes has only run in 2 XC races and improved a lot between the two so I think there is just a sense likely to be improvement from him again. He also carried 9'9 on trials day! But agree he would have hosed up if staying in the race

Having said all this IF Auvergnant prices stays put id be an e/w backer to cover myself.

Comment

CofC is too good to be in the XC race for me, a winner of the 4 miler and with stamina to burn he should be in the Gold Cup, unlikely to have the class to win that but could easily be placed, the fact he's taken to banks proves his versatility but a good with the ability to place in a GC shouldn't be in banks races for me

Comment

Any one any news on Foxrock? This race or Foxhunters? Only in betting for this at moment

Comment

CofC is too good to be in the XC race for me, a winner of the 4 miler and with stamina to burn he should be in the Gold Cup, unlikely to have the class to win that but could easily be placed, the fact he's taken to banks proves his versatility but a good with the ability to place in a GC shouldn't be in banks races for me
            At 7/1 a horse good enough to be placed in a gold cup is great value for this race, even before factoring in the C+D win though.... so suck it up and get the ista mortgage on?

Purely on ability his 2nd in GN is his best form? He'd need to improve again to place in a gold cup wouldn't he?
            Last edited by Kevloaf; 27 September 2017, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Barring injuries (again) the GC next year will be a stronger renewal than this year (Thistlecrack, Our Duke, Might Bite, maybe even Fox Norton and Douvan?). Very unlikely for me that CoC runs into a place, so why not take the CC route - particularly if they want to enter him in the GN again?
              Last edited by Garrison Savannah; 27 September 2017, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Garrison Savannah View Post
                Barring injuries (again) the GC next year will be a stronger renewal than this year (Thistlecrack, Our Duke, Might Bite, maybe even Fox Norton and Douvan?). Very unlikely for me that CoC runs into a place, so why not take the CC route - particularly if they want to enter him in the GN again?
                I don't think the Aintree Grand National is in their thinking for CoC this season. Not sure why to be honest.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Jamie Codd said somewhere that the X-Country was the target race, being a horse that loves Cheltenham it would be silly for him not to attend the festival, and realistically his best chance is this race.

As said above, the GC is looking as competitive as I can remember it for a while, think the last time it looked this competitive IMO, was the Long Run, Denman, Kauto Star race back in 2011, can't see why they'd stick COC in it this year. Think connections still have Minella Rocco (finished a fine 2nd this year), Coney Island (potentially) & More Of That for the race, and unless something drastic happens to them 3 I don't see why they would switch, that said they do have a lot of horses that could run in the X-Country as well, COC, Cantlow, Josies Orders & Auvergnat!

Comment

McManus will run loads in the cross country. I think he had 5 or 6 running in it this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                      At 7/1 a horse good enough to be placed in a gold cup is great value for this race, even before factoring in the C+D win though.... so suck it up and get the ista mortgage on?

Purely on ability his 2nd in GN is his best form? He'd need to improve again to place in a gold cup wouldn't he?
                      I think there's been a shift in the last 20 years Kev, the 4m chase and Grand National have got classier and the Gold Cup has become a greater test of stamina, I think the GC and GN are now closely aligned in terms of the profile needed so Cause of Causes for me would be a 12/1 shot and a decent each way shot if he ran in the GC.
                      Not only did he win a 4m chase he then demolished a Kim Muir field off near top weight, now that might not be GC winning form but it proves he has the speed to win over the distance and when coupled with his known stamina he has everything for me.
                      I maintain he shouldn't be in the Cross Country and can only assume Elliott thinks he's way down the pecking order of his GC horses....

Comment

If the Gold Cup just needed a stayer, then I would still be living off my winnings from Don Poli hacking up

I think CoC is a magnificent horse, and if he did have a go at the Gold Cup I definitely wouldn't leave him unbacked, as you make very fair points. I do feel though, I'd be backing with my heart not my head (price dependant of course) and this year looks as strong as any of the last 5 renewals?

Comment

looking at JP’s potentials for GC (Coney Island & Minella Rocco) he may choose to throw another dart at the bull in CoC, can’t fault his Cheltenham record, and as stated by some of you JP has a Hugh amount of horses to go for the XC, there maybe one we don’t know about yet but Auvergnat looks full of potential and is only 8 come the Fest so could be one for the next few years, Josies if back and fit should give a good account, I think CoC deserves a shot at GC but maybe it’s a year or two to late

Comment

Auvergnat bids for poignant Munster National success tomorrow:

Comment

Aubusson entered in a cross country race in France next week. An interesting addition to these races if that's where they decide to go.

Comment

Will Hill have started a book on this race and have Aubusson at 25/1

Comment

Working...
                                X