Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Ladbrokes Trophy (aka Hennessy Gold Cup)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ladbrokes Trophy (aka Hennessy Gold Cup)

The 16/1 for American seems a bit on the generous side to me so I've got involved.

Harry Fry has said this is his early season target and i think he could be a fair bit better than his current rating of 157 - he'd be a potential gold cup horse if he got soft ground imo.

The other one that catches my eye is Singlefarmpayment at 20/1 but I need to know that this race is the target before backing him.

2.5pts ew American 16/1
    1.5pts win American 16/1

I've also already backed American for this race. Anything good to soft or softer is fine and I was so impressed with him at Uttoxeter. Really good to see the trainer so bullish too ... will be half the price are very best.

Also had a double with Might Bite in the KG that jono mentioned

Comment

I'm in agreement with both of those picks FM, and again just wanting an update by Tom George on the horse's wellbeing and target before adding Singlefarmpayment.

Was there any reason given why he didn't run him again after Cheltenham? I can't find anything regarding an injury. I had presumed it was to keep his mark intact for this race or another big winter handicap? Looks an ideal race for him so bar any setback i'd be surprised if he wasn't to have this as a target.

Two others that are of interest:

Whisper - 20/1.
      It's been muted as a potential target a couple of times by NH. After a very inconsistent season last year the pairing of him and Davy Russell looks to have rejuvenated the horse. He beat the decent Baron Alco (2nd in the festival plate behind Road to Respect and 2nd in the scilly isles novice chase behind Top Notch) and the (at the time at least) well regarded Clan des Obeaux. He was receiving weight in the first and a mistake by CdO at the second last helped but he followed both those runs being the only horse to get close to Might Bite at Cheltenham and Aintree in the Spring. All in all it was a hugely creditable season for the horse and he looks a much more consistent performer again. Set to avoid Might Bite this season but even if Might Bite bypasses Haydock, i'd see this race as much more likely to suit. 9 years but only 5 chase starts to his name, he is effectively a second season chaser and I think his rating of 155 (same mark that Native River won off last year) has more improvement in it.

Southfield Royale - Unquoted
      From one horse who has got his consistency and reliability back to one who has gone the other way! One of the few horses in that 4 miler that have yet to perform since, the wheels have well and truly fallen off with the horse since. He was said to be over the top at Punchestown after that race and then injuries kept him out for 277 days. He failed to show anything on his comeback, fell too early to judge at Cheltenham and then again disappointed in the Scottish Grand National. IF he can get back to form though he could make his current mark of 141 look a mockery. I'd like to see him get a run out over hurdles beforehand to get his confidence back.

Perhaps importantly as well, getting softer ground may help get him back on track too. Since his comeback his 3 runs were on Good (good to soft in places). But when there's been soft in the ground his form is:

(the last 2 races being good-to-soft (soft in places))

You're taking a leap of faith with the horse but Soft ground and imo a run out over hurdles beforehand to get his confidence back may just give him a chance. Mulholland came second in the race last year with Carole's Destrier, had The Young Master who was quietly fancied but fell at the first in 2015 and then The Druids Nephew in 2014 who was travelling very well before making a blunder which cost him any chance of winning 4 out.

I've currently only got American at 16/1 1pt EW (and the 1pt double with Might Bite in the King George) but those other 3 horses are catching my eye.
      Last edited by jono; 24 September 2017, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Good stat on the Southfield Royale ground.... I'll put that in my tracker.

Comment

Hasn't the going been good to soft or heavy for this the last few years ??.

Comment

The Hennessy will be my first live meeting of the NH season and I can't wait! I too, am on American AP and will probably back two more on the race once final decs are announced. Can see Whisper placing, but think he's a horse in this type of race that will always find at least one better than him.

Comment

Originally posted by BigChaang View Post
              Hasn't the going been good to soft or heavy for this the last few years ??.
              Officially good to soft last year (Native River) and soft the year before (Smad Place)

Comment

American it is then !! ??

Comment

Originally posted by BigChaang View Post
                  American it is then !! ??
                  I have a lot on American for this and he's included in a large chunk of Cheltenham multiples.

Do we think Total Recall will turn up as if he does I am rather worried?

Comment

Originally posted by Vautour View Post
                    I have a lot on American for this and he's included in a large chunk of Cheltenham multiples.

Do we think Total Recall will turn up as if he does I am rather worried?
                    He went up 16 lbs for his win in Ireland and you can probably add a few more to that when Phil Smith gets his hands on him. I'd be surprised if WPM brought him over as there are plenty of big handicaps he could take-in in Ireland before Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                      He went up 16 lbs for his win in Ireland and you can probably add a few more to that when Phil Smith gets his hands on him. I'd be surprised if WPM brought him over as there are plenty of big handicaps he could take-in in Ireland before Christmas.
                      According to Johnny Ward the Ladbrokes Gold cup is the plan. Been cut in a few places, 12-1 left at ladbrokes and coral.

Comment

Originally posted by SAMCRO View Post
                        According to Johnny Ward the Ladbrokes Gold cup is the plan. Been cut in a few places, 12-1 left at ladbrokes and coral.
                        This makes total sense. He's rated 147 now in Ireland and the next 3m open handicap is not until the end of January (Thyestes). The other 3m handicaps before January are as follows:

4/11 Cork National Handicap Steeplechase (0-150) 3m4f Cork
                        26/11 Troytown Handicap Steeplechase (0- 150) 3m Navan
                        3/12 Porterstown Handicap Steeplechase (145 = 11.10) 3m5f Fairyhouse
                        27/12 Paddy Power Handicap Steeplechase (0-150) Leopardstown

He would be carrying (or almost carrying) top weight in any one of them.Mullins is almost forced to go to England with him.

Comment

BOF, that suggests there are issues with the Irish calendar....

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                            BOF, that suggests there are issues with the Irish calendar....
                            I think it's a major issue. In fact the only 3m open handicaps between January and the end of the season are the Thyestes and the Leinster National (Sunday before Cheltenham). You also have the National Trial (over 3m 4f) and the Irish Grand National (3m5f) but they are much longer trips and you have to be rated around 140 to get into the latter. It's no wonder that the Thyestes is contested by top class horses. If you're rated in the high 140's or higher you're almost forced to go for it or run in a Graded race when you may well come up against Gold Cup calibre horses and there are only two of those before Cheltenham: the Irish Gold Cup(Leopardstown) and the Bobby Jo at Fairyhouse (Grade 3)

Comment

Harry Fry on AMERICAN

He was another one who thrived last year and won three out of three over fences. He is an exciting second season chaser we are targeting at the Ladbroke Gold Cup at Newbury and hopefull he has the right profile for the race and the track should suit him. He gallops and jumps for fun and he is unlikely to run beforehand as he is so fragile so he will have to be on his “A” game on the day. We will decide after that where we go for the rest of the season.

Comment

Working...
                              X