Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Ryanair Chase 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth remembering that Waiting Patiently's owner is not in the country for Cheltenham.
    Their long term plan has always been King George as others have said but his main target this season was the big Ascot race (can't remember the name).
    I would say he doesn't go...

Comment

• Originally posted by doctorwu View Post
      hashtag//WPtogetherwe'restronger

Comment

• As an owner I have no problem with punters having an opinion about my horses and assume that they have no problem if and when I totally ignore said opinion.

Comment

• For all of those applauding the decision presumably you would also be doing similar if 99/100 adopted a similar negative attitude. Of course there would be no Cheltenham, no forum, but what the hell. A price well worth paying.

Comment

• Originally posted by kinloch brae View Post
            For all of those applauding the decision presumably you would also be doing similar if 99/100 adopted a similar negative attitude. Of course there would be no Cheltenham, no forum, but what the hell. A price well worth paying.
            What an odd comment? Most horses don't have the same frailties or the same preference for soft ground as WP so why would all others ever do the same?

I really cant see what the issue is here. He is their horse, a very good one at that, and they are minding him because he has issues that most other horses dont. I'd do absolutely the same if he were mine. Choosing one wrong race can finish off a horse forever. I know from personal experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by Can't Catch Me View Post
              What an odd comment? Most horses don't have the same frailties or the same preference for soft ground as WP so why would all others ever do the same?

I really cant see what the issue is here. He is their horse, a very good one at that, and they are minding him because he has issues that most other horses dont. I'd do absolutely the same if he were mine. Choosing one wrong race can finish off a horse forever. I know from personal experience.
              I would agree and Coneygree comes to mind. Has never being the same since winning the gold cup as a novice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonnymac05 View Post
                I would agree and Coneygree comes to mind. Has never being the same since winning the gold cup as a novice.
                Thats a tricky example Jonny! Coneygree won a Gold Cup, and even if he was never the same horse again, I think it was well worth it to win Racing's Blue Riband Event. Who knows, he may have got injured anyway?

But WP is a different example and is it worth risking his career for a Ryanair? Id say no myself.

Comment

For all of those applauding the decision presumably you would also be doing similar if 99/100 adopted a similar negative attitude. Of course there would be no Cheltenham, no forum, but what the hell. A price well worth paying.
                  The thing is, like most things, is that it isn’t a black and white issue...there’s a bit of grey involved.

Presumably all race horses don’t have the same medical issues as WP. Now, I have no inside info, I’m not even a ‘horse person’ (whatever one of those is), but if a horse does have dodgy knees which makes running on ground that has good in the going puts the long term health of the horse at risk, then I totally understand the owners position. I don’t see it as a negative attitude, I see it as a realistic attitude. American is similar I believe?

At least by making it public, punters can make a decision or not on whether to risk AP bets on an unlikely runner.

Comment

Be more melodramatic...

Comment

• Yes i agree CCM, Especially if they have bigger prizes in mind for the future.

Comment

• Re Waiting Patiently.
                        The yard and owner are entitled to do what they want.
                        I don't think the yard are great salespeople, which the best trainers usually are, as most if not all need to attract new owners or retain existing owners in order to remain in a job.
                        Having a Ryanair winner on the yard's CV would help and it has a favorites chance IMO. A Ryanair winner and King George winner would be even better.
                        On paper it seems that avoiding good ground after one minor injury seems overly protective but they may have more details available.
                        The almost obdurate view of Cheltenham from the yard is unfortunate and a little narrow minded (ok to mention the ground but the cheltenham is not the be all and end all is unneccessary and suggests a grumpiness) .
                        And finally, anyone whinging about the horse possibly not running at Cheltenham is simply disappointed as we all want to see the best horses compete.

Comment

• Originally posted by quevega View Post
                          Re Waiting Patiently.
                          The yard and owner are entitled to do what they want.
                          I don't think the yard are great salespeople, which the best trainers usually are, as most if not all need to attract new owners or retain existing owners in order to remain in a job.
                          Having a Ryanair winner on the yard's CV would help and it has a favorites chance IMO. A Ryanair winner and King George winner would be even better.
                          On paper it seems that avoiding good ground after one minor injury seems overly protective but they may have more details available.
                          The almost obdurate view of Cheltenham from the yard is unfortunate and a little narrow minded (ok to mention the ground but the cheltenham is not the be all and end all is unneccessary and suggests a grumpiness) .
                          And finally, anyone whinging about the horse possibly not running at Cheltenham is simply disappointed as we all want to see the best horses compete.
                          But Cheltenham isnt the be all and end all is it?

It is for us as racing fans, as its the highlight of the racing year.. but as an owner you have to look at the bigger picture imo. It shouldn't all be about one day in March. Having runners there is without doubt the holy grail as an owner, but as someone who was lucky enough to do so, I still wouldnt have risked the long term wellbeing of a horse as good as WP, merely to try and a win a race at the Festival. I think calling their statement 'obdurate' is a bit harsh.

They know the horse better than any of us.

Comment

• Their horse. Their decision.

I've got a decent bet on WP @ 16's any race, but if he doesn't run, I'll move onto the next.

It would GREAT to see him run (I am there on the Thursday) and I rate him very highly - BUT not to the detriment to the well-being of the horse.

None of us want to see a horse breaking down during a race (even more so when it is known to be a risk doing so) and I trust their judgement completely.

Comment

• Good points Quevega. Saying 'Everyone else is obsessed by Cheltenham. We are not that fussed' is a little blunt, but I do find Ruth Jefferson very likeable and honest though, particularly when you have people like Willie Mullins who dodges questions with the skill and finesse of a career politician.

Comment

• Originally posted by TimRiggins View Post
                                Is that one of you Tim?? cause you do alf like your pictures.

Comment

Working...
                                X