Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Ryanair Chase 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Folski View Post
    I've never rated him to be honest Kev. If he couldn't beat those lads at Aintree last year he can't be any good. Are we sure Yorkhill is any good? Are we sure Yanworth is any good?

I think this race is a match between Fox Norton and UDS to be decided on the ground on the day.

I lumped on UDS last year as I couldn't believe the price he was to beat what in my opinion were a load of Grade 2 horses.

Take UDS out of last years race and there has been 20 runs with 1 win, which was Vaniteux in a handicap over 2m.

Fox Norton pulled up in King George this season, horses who get smashed in the KG have a decent record in this recently, Imperial Commander, Albertas Run, Cue Card, Dynaste. 5/1 NRNB already beat UDS at Punchestown.

Im with you Folski. Runners in the KG have great form for this race. So I'm nailing my colours to Fox Norton if this is his destination.

Comment

• From Ruth Jefferson today...

She said: "He's home safe, he's eaten up and he's been out on the walker this morning. He seems absolutely fine.

"He did what we wanted him to do yesterday. Everything went well and I don't know how to describe it, to be honest.

"He just goes when you ask him, doesn't he? He must be a joy to ride. There's no wonder Brian doesn't want to let anyone else ride him!"

Waiting Patiently is joint-favourite with last year's winner Un De Sceaux for the Ryanair Chase with some bookmakers, but Jefferson remains lukewarm on the idea of a trip to Prestbury Park.

"It was only the ninth run of his life on Saturday and he's only seven, which is why we're probably the only ones not that bothered about Cheltenham," said the Norton-based trainer.

"We're not going to tie ourselves down to anything at the moment. We'll see how he is and what the ground is like at the confirmation stage and go from there.

"He only ran three times last season and he's not a horse who puts on weight quickly after he runs.

"There's also just a slight suspicion that he's better on flatter tracks and there's no hiding place at Cheltenham.

"I'm not saying we'll never go there, but if we're not 100 per cent happy we won't go."

Should Waiting Patiently bypass Cheltenham, he is likely to have options at Aintree and Punchestown in the spring, while Jefferson also has her eyes on some major prizes next season - namely the King George VI Chase at Kempton.

"He could run again this season, but it won't be the end of the world for us if he doesn't and there are races we're looking at next season," Jefferson added.

"It's an easy three miles at Kempton and he's settling better now, so you would like to think he'd stay and he has form on the track."
      Real shame if he doesn't line up at the festival but great to hear the King George already being mentioned

Comment

• If they're looking for ground with lots of soft in the going it seems strange that they bypass Cheltenham to wait for periods when the ground is likely to ride faster, may as well put him away until November

Comment

• Another cash out

Comment

• "There's also just a slight suspicion that he's better on flatter tracks and there's no hiding place at Cheltenham.

"I'm not saying we'll never go there, but if we're not 100 per cent happy we won't go."

You might not be good enough to go there in the future as your time is now. Total bottle job. Lets wait for the Punchestown festival when the ground will really suit our horse......not.

Comment

• Cue card goes for the gold cup.
              https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
              Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

• Originally posted by doctorwu View Post
                "There's also just a slight suspicion that he's better on flatter tracks and there's no hiding place at Cheltenham.

You might not be good enough to go there in the future as your time is now. Total bottle job. Lets wait for the Punchestown festival when the ground will really suit our horse......not.
                I dunno, they've been relatively consistent with this position haven't they? I think it's relatively admirable to think about what's best for the horse rather than having those concerns and ignoring them

Comment

• Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
                  Cue card goes for the gold cup.
                  Whilst it clearly sounds like Jean is leaning that way, they haven’t actually confirmed it.

Comment

• While stressing that no firm decision had been made, Bishop said on Sunday: “It would be amazing if he could finish his career by winning the Gold Cup, and I think he deserves another chance in the race as there is unfinished business considering he has fallen at the third-last fence in his two tries in the race so far.

“If he managed to win the race I think it would bring the roof down at Cheltenham, with so many tears of joy being shed around the winner's circle so, for me, it’s a serious option.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Can't Catch Me View Post
                      Whilst it clearly sounds like Jean is leaning that way, they haven’t actually confirmed it.
                      Would be long odds on. She's the boss.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
                        Would be long odds on. She's the boss.
                        It certainly would be long odds on. Just saying it’s not 100% definite.

Comment

• Originally posted by Can't Catch Me View Post
                          It certainly would be long odds on. Just saying it’s not 100% definite.
                          Good point.
                          I took that as definite.
                          but you are right.

Comment

• Rubbish decision on Cue Card...

The proverbial roof would come off if Cue Card won the Ryanair 5 years on so I don't understand why they'd go for a race he has an incredibly small chance of winning over one that has always looked more suitable anyway.

I wouldn't back Cue Card at 100/1 in the Gold Cup, fairytale schmarytale.... do what is right for the horse, let's NOT see him having a tired fall or pulled up which I fear very much!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                              Rubbish decision on Cue Card...

The proverbial roof would come off if Cue Card won the Ryanair 5 years on so I don't understand why they'd go for a race he has an incredibly small chance of winning over one that has always looked more suitable anyway.

I wouldn't back Cue Card at 100/1 in the Gold Cup, fairytale schmarytale.... do what is right for the horse, let's NOT see him having a tired fall or pulled up which I fear very much!
                              The late owners dream was of him winning the GC. He's got very little chance but I can deffinately see why she is sending him there. Her husband 100% would have done the same. It was always on the cards.

Comment

• Barry on Coney Island......

My other two rides on Saturday were disappointing. DIEG MAN didn’t make the step up in the handicap hurdle, he was never at the races and he weakened quickly, while CONEY ISLAND couldn’t get into a rhythm in the Ascot Chase.

They went a hell of a pace from the start, it was a very strong race, and he just couldn’t operate at that speed. His jumping suffered. If he had jumped better he would have been able to stay in it, but he didn’t jump fluently and that left him struggling to go the pace. That was disappointing because he was such a good jumper as a novice.

We were struggling when he made a bad mistake at the fence going away from the stands, and the sensible thing to do was pull him up then. There was no pointing persevering. He is better than that so hopefully he can bounce back.

Impossible to fancy Coney Island on the back of that run. Very tempted to cash everything out.

Comment

Working...
                                X