Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Ryanair Chase 2018

Any early thoughts chaps!

UDS breezed home last season , looks like the one to beat this term again. Do like him and very surprised he not been given office at 3M. He wasnt stopping last year so maybe Mullins quest to win Gold CUp might persuade him to try.

My early fancy is imo the most improved horse in training last year FOX NORTON> The presence of Douvan inspired trainer to step him up in trip last season and wow what a transformation.

At a price (may go Queen Mother) Charbel looks a likely improver for step up in trip. Was in process of giving the mighty Altior a workout till falling in Atkle .

If there is such a thing as ante post NAP in September it must be Foxy

Fox Norton is being aimed at the Champion Chase unless anything happens to Sizing John according to Joe Tizzard. Obviously Alan Potts makes the decisions and Ryanair isn't high on their agenda so I'd be careful.

I have found it successful to find the gigginstown runner! Despite them not winning it, it's always going to be a shorter price and EoD under-performed. I had been sweet on Disko but think ill need to see a few of their contenders run.

I feel like Mullins will end up with the fav in this ... the fact Vautour ran makes this race incredibly difficult for me to be confident a high profile of won't switch! Imagine having 6s on a nice horse and Douvan or Yorkhill turn up. Bleugh
    Last edited by Kevloaf; 09-10-2017 at 11:21 PM.

Douvan!

To touch on a couple of peoples points, Beast above and jono in GC thread .... is Djakadam the obvious over-priced horse here?

Un De Sceaux is an obvious fly in the ointment as he is the previous winner, so is an obvious 'first string' for this race but connections don't seem too fussed and a crack at 2m or 3m (CC or GC) might not be out of the equation for UDS? Maybe I am clutching a bit for reasons that UDS wouldn't run, but even if he did..... Djakdam has form figures at 2m3f-2m5f of 11F11 (the F being when close up, 4 out on the JLT). That is pretty impressive when since that first win at the distance, he was stepped up and his form figures read 8122F232342.

I can't really believe that, obviously some of that 3m form is very strong, placing in Gold Cups and so on, but on the bare figures he looks a horse made for the intermediate distance. I have almost convinced myself to have a bet! 10/1 isn't as big as I'd like as Douvan/Yorkhill/UDS might end up as even money shots, BUT... what do you think?

I think you make some veey good points Kev. I said a few times prior to this years festival that I believed Djakdam should run in the Ryanair and I had actually forgotten about Djakadam until this thread. I'd completely agree, as you say 10/1 is a tad short but if he turned up he wouldnt be that price

great info Kev

How about a Soft ground CC - UDS turns up? Djakadam Ryanair, Douvan GC

Just to murky the Mullins waters ,Yorkhill , Min needs slotting in somewhere

I think Min will go CC if good to soft The Beast, unless they decide to go back hurdling ha ha

Vroum Vroum Mag has this in the bag.