Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Albert Bartlett Novice Hurdle 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a big fan of Ravenhill Road and I think this could be his target. He set some decent RPR in his 2 bumper routs last season before missing Cheltenham with a slight set back. I'm focusing on this race for him based on breeeding and trainer comments. Additional to this, the Albert Bartlett has a history of throwing up winners from the smaller yards and slightly older horses.

Quote from Brian Ellison stable tour from 19/10/2016
    "He's a machine and he won very well despite running green. He showed a lot of speed for horse that needs three miles but he had been working with all the best horse and it wasn't a surprise the way he won. He'll have another run before Christmas and then will go hurdling."

There is also a nice write up in Mark Howard's book stating he has been working with all his best horses (Definitly Red and Seamour).

I requested Bet365 to add to the market and felt 33/1 is more than generous as an early each way punt.

Comment

Blow by Blow....... anyone heard any reports on???

Last seen beating Moon Racer, Bacardys , Presenting Percy in a Grade 1 bumper......outstayed them all, 2 cheltenham winners over 3 miles in there. Granted it was two miles but looked a right old slog the last 2 furlongs.

Best price 25s.......interesting to hear how the horse is as this price looks really tempting if form is anything to go by

Comment

Blow By Blow was always spoken of as a future staying chaser and I remember an article talking about how huge he was and surprising he managed to win a hot Punchestown bumper against a quality field over 2m. Breeding would definitely point towards staying distances for sure.

From Gordon Elliott stable tour on ATR 06/10/2017
        "He’s back cantering and hopefully he’ll be out this side of Christmas for a maiden hurdle. He’ll probably start off over two-and-a-half miles and is probably more of a stayer in the making"

Comment

Originally posted by robith View Post
          This is a race that doesn't tend to attract much ante post play for me, and I've had a look and figured why. 2 favs winning last ten years, average price of the winner around 13/1
          I very nearly went in with the 25/1 pre race for Poli Roi after Kev made a very good case but it was pretty much this that stopped me robith. Looking back through my antepost season by season this race has been a bit of a shocker for me. I had the winner in Martello Tower in 2014 but that was placed on the day. For me Death Duty, No More Heroes, Kings Palace have been 3 horses i've been fairly heavily involved in early on in the season without luck. Granted even if I had waited until nearer the day I would have still sided with Death Duty last year but i'm going to make a conscious effort in this race this year to hold off slightly even if it means taking the reduced prices.

Just watched the replay of today. As much as it hampered the horse I don't think the mistake at the second last cost him the race as such - he picked up again very quickly. I think it's almost certain he'll be looking at staying trips (stating the obvious!!), needing every inch of 3 miles though so the Albert Bartlett would certainly look the race for him even more so tonight. Plenty of improvement needed but hopefully he'll find that up in trip.

Comment

Ballyward is the one I have my eye on for this. He is another who should really appreciate a test of stamina. 25/1 is more than fair if he is over the set back he had last season.

Comment

Originally posted by JackieMoon33 View Post
              I'm a big fan of Ravenhill Road and I think this could be his target. He set some decent RPR in his 2 bumper routs last season before missing Cheltenham with a slight set back. I'm focusing on this race for him based on breeeding and trainer comments. Additional to this, the Albert Bartlett has a history of throwing up winners from the smaller yards and slightly older horses.

"He's a machine and he won very well despite running green. He showed a lot of speed for horse that needs three miles but he had been working with all the best horse and it wasn't a surprise the way he won. He'll have another run before Christmas and then will go hurdling."

There is also a nice write up in Mark Howard's book stating he has been working with all his best horses (Definitly Red and Seamour).

I requested Bet365 to add to the market and felt 33/1 is more than generous as an early each way punt.
              Good to have you back Jackie I put this in the tracker after reading MH book so will be watching the space

Comment

Originally posted by JackieMoon33 View Post

Big fan of the horse myself had backed him for the bumper (nrnb luckily) and was waiting for someone to price him up so thanks for requesting and agree 33-1 is a fair price. Also like the look of Next destination for this solid bumper form and of the Mullins horses the one I'd expect to go up to 3 miles. Also available at 33s

Comment

Aye, Martello Tower is my only winner in this race (been into the sport since around 2013/14) and was placed on the Monday pre festival and on the day, so I'm in no rush

Comment

Robith and jono. I see your points regarding the SP of the winner BUT regardless of having the actual winner, getting the fav at a bigger price still represents value and you cam utilise that in a number of ways. (Laying/arbing) for example.

I think picking the winner of this is incredibly hard as the variable of distance isn't tested until deep in to the season BUT I will still aim to have some value on the day of the race compared to SPs
                    Last edited by Kevloaf; 11 October 2017, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                      Robith and jono. I see your points regarding the SP of the winner BUT regardless of having the actual winner, getting the fav at a bigger price still represents value and you cam utilise that in a number of ways. (Laying/arbing) for example.

I think picking the winner of this is incredibly hard as the variable of distaste isn't tested until deep in to the season BUT I will still aim to have some value on the day of the race compared to SPs
                      A good point Kev - I'm still essentially a rookie and this year was the first year I went after more value over trying to "find the actual winner". I got it wrong by a long way and a big part of that was not playing antepost so you've raised a good challenge.

I still think though I'll wait until around the week and back something at 16s haha

Comment

Just back Callet Mad lads, job done!!! ;-)

Comment

Who you backed Callet Mad with billy? Not priced up with 365, hills or PP

Comment

Will hill 66/1, i had to ring for that price before he ran last week. He will of hated that ground so the fact that he ran to 140 RPR was very encouraging, just my opinion but hes already run to a level that would place nearly every year in this race (albeit that was over fences, but the hurdles didnt seem to be a problem). I see hes been removed from oddschecker now which seems odd, hope hes ok.

Comment

Originally posted by billymag View Post
                              Will hill 66/1, i had to ring for that price before he ran last week. He will of hated that ground so the fact that he ran to 140 RPR was very encouraging, just my opinion but hes already run to a level that would place nearly every year in this race (albeit that was over fences, but the hurdles didnt seem to be a problem). I see hes been removed from oddschecker now which seems odd, hope hes ok.
                              Thanks for the share billy, will keep an eye open. Hope all is ok with it too

Comment

I believe Oddschecker only keep selections up if a firm is offering odds on it, so it may be that whoever had the original price up for the horse has removed it and in turn Oddschecker have removed it too?

Maybe they had taken too much money on it ;-)

Comment

Working...
                                X