Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Champion Chase 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats sounds very much like a 2m campagin is in their thinking. I was sure he'd step up. MUST not get involved in the Bingo already...

Comment

Eyes down the bingo has started!

Comment

On Charbel, looks like he will be stepping up in trip:

The Andoversford trainer has more than 1,100 winners to his name including the Grand National (Mr Frisk), Cheltenham Gold Cup (Master Oats)and the Champion Hurdle (Alderbrook)

Charbel to start his season in a graduation chase at Kempton or Wetherby

In the lead when he fell two out in the Arkle at The Festival, Charbel finished a rather lacklustre third in the Grade One Maghull Novices’ Chase at Aintree’s Grand National meeting.

He arrived back in Gloucestershire from David and Julie Martin’s place very recently and did his road work before he left.

As well as his Cheltenham accident, the six-year-old was one of the horses worst affected by coughing in the yard last season, which certainly didn’t help matters especially when facing such a star of the sport in Altior.

“We trained him specifically for Cheltenham,” said Bailey.

“He was running a very big race when he fell- who knows what would have happened?

“Then we took him to Aintree which was a bit of a disaster. He didn’t jump that well, it’s a tight track and he lost his way slightly.

“He had a nasty cut on a hind leg and spent six weeks in his box.

I would love to take him up to two and a half miles and he will start in a graduation chase at Kempton or Wetherby in the first week of November.

Comment

So taking that article with Ruby at face value it leaves little doubt that Douvan stays over 2 miles. We know and have countless examples of how these things can easily change however certain someone from connections sounds but we might, just maybe get the clash we crave after all! Makes the decision to revert Yorkhill from the Gold Cup to hurdles all the more baffling imo if they only have Djakadam for the Gold Cup.

They'd be mad to run Douvan, Min and Great Field in the same race wouldn't they?? Min for the Ryanair after starting out over 2 miles?

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
            I think they'll step Charbel up in trip this season.
            Looks like you were right regarding Charbel!

PRobably be a little forgotten in the market when some of the higher profile horses are running....and if they are aiming just for the festival again, certainly worth keeping an eye on.

Comment

Originally posted by jono View Post
              They'd be mad to run Douvan, Min and Great Field in the same race wouldn't they?? Min for the Ryanair after starting out over 2 miles?
              Great Field won't be an issue though, different owner means it 'shouldn't' have any impact over Douvan and Min, but I do struggle to see how RR is going to fit all his runners in, unless more than one runs in the same race, or he leaves some at home!

Comment

Djackadam should be dropped back in trip for the Ryanair this season but that creates a problem in how they fit Min and Douvan in (providing they all stay fit).

I'd have thought trying Douvan over 3m would be the solution but recent quotes don't sound like that's in their thinking at the moment.

Comment

Do we think there is any possibility that VVM might actually revert back to chasing this season? Not so much for this race, but a possible Ryanair tilt?

Comment

I'd forgotten about VVM.

Who knows what they'll do with her this season. She could run in any of the championship races

Comment

I've just had 2pts on her on the exchanges, averaging just over 48/1, with a view to trading her. She looked a cracking chasing prospect then got put back over hurdles (I think RR was hoping she'd be the new Annie), and whilst she has been successful I do think she'd still take on the big boys over fences.

Comment

Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
                        Do we think there is any possibility that VVM might actually revert back to chasing this season? Not so much for this race, but a possible Ryanair tilt?
                        I really don't. Think she will stay hurdling. Thought she should have went chasing last season, disappointing she didn't.

Comment

Personally think VVM is better over fences than hurdles on what ive seen , really impressed me with her jumping. Could be a Ryanair horse if Rich doesnt send Douvan or Djakadam instead.

Comment

Originally posted by The Beast View Post
                            Personally think VVM is better over fences than hurdles on what ive seen , really impressed me with her jumping. Could be a Ryanair horse if Rich doesnt send Douvan or Djakadam instead.
                            But is that not the issue, you're betting on connections who might want to run him in this, or any of the others in their armery, before you consider whether any horse can win the race ?
                            Mullins/Ricci lottery for me.
                            You've named 3 horses who could be running anywhere....

Comment

Dont say im mad , but Ar Mad looked like a horse going places until injury.

Moore has come out and says he back and thriving.

Could he be a fly in the ointment?

Comment

I find Moore to be straight from the Warren Greatrex school of optimism when the animals at his disposal are probably a notch or two short of top class.
                                Ar Mad is a good horse but for him to have a festival success it may have to come via a handicap...

Comment

Working...
                                X