Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Champion Chase 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jono View Post
    You mentioned you were at Mullins yard recently archie - were there any horses that stood out for you?
    With the proviso that:
    1. the festival horses are only about two thirds of the way through preparation
    and
    2. out of respect for other owners, I wouldn't be commenting on novices and unexposed horses.

Of the established performers (and I didn't see them all), Douvan, Min and UDS all looked on good terms with themselves and the world in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Robante View Post
      Does anyone know if Special Tiara is a cert to defend his crown? Key runner for me as I fancy Great Field to set a relentless gallop and try to make all in this race. With Special Tiara there they'll probably go off too fast together and set the race up for Altior/Min, but if no Special Tiara then i think Great Field would take some pegging back
      Yes I saw HdB on ATR say that was the plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
        I love these type of multiples. They are almost related contingency bets, as where one horse lines up directly effects where the other will run.

The 89/1 is probably closer to 10/1 if they turn up in these races
        Totally agree with that ^ FM/Leman.

One of the best ways to create value now ante post IMO.

Obviously the hard part is getting it right and then they have to win ... but they are the kind of related multiples that I put my 'free bets' on usually.

Comment

Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
          I'm glad you've brought up the Ruby quote about being reminded of Kauto Star, because Kauto Star was run in the Champion Chase, so maybe, only maybe, a little clue that Min will indeed contest the Champion Chase instead of Douvan, before stepping up in trip, possibly?

Interestingly though Willie Mullins has never won this race, even with his 'sure thing' this year!
          Are you guys getting confused here? OR am I?

Ruby has 100% compared Douvan to Kauto Star. Never have I heard him mention Min in the same breath. In fact, in almost EVERY single bit of 'tape' you can find regarding Min, Ruby talks him DOWN compared to Vautour and Faugheen that came before him. I remember them saying he was similar to Champange Fever in terms of him build (A slim french bred chaser) .....

I can't have Min beating Altior. Cannot have it. I HAVE however got enough free bets on to give me a very comfortable reward for getting this wrong.

I DO think if Min turned up, 12/1 each way is an absolutely knocking-good bet though... so work that out

Comment

Watch the best live coverage of your favourite sports: Football, Golf, Rugby, Cricket, Tennis, F1, Boxing, plus the latest sports news, transfers & scores.

Read the race report Kev...

Comment

Originally posted by Innoko View Post
              Jeez. ... I'm trying to un-read it

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                Jeez. ... I'm trying to un-read it
                If you watch the race replay, at the end you will see the biggest grin on Ruby's face.

That tells me he thinks Min is special...

Comment

Originally posted by Innoko View Post
                  If you watch the race replay, at the end you will see the biggest grin on Ruby's face.

That tells me he thinks Min is special...
                  There is not any way I'm exert going to believe he rates Min as highly as Douvan. Even if he said it, I'd refuse to believe it. haha.

Even Kauto star wouldn't have beaten Altior over 2m though

Comment

In a FB live Q&A on RUK's page today, Ruby was asked

"do you think Min is a 2 miler or could he be stretched out further"

"his style of racing suggests he's a two miler, erm, he'd have to improve to compete with the two milers at the moment, so he may end up going further if he hasn't improved. He'll need to improve to be a top class 2 miler"

Comment

Mullins has more news on his jumpers, expressing delight at the well-being of the brilliant Min, which missed out on an Arkle clash with Altior in March due to injury.

"Min is in great order and has come back much stronger than he has ever been," Mullins said. "He will start off in autumn at two-mile senior chasing."

This was back in August but i cant get away from how Willie talks about Min. Before the supreme, After the racing post novice chase, when he got injured especially there was some quite stand out quotes about how dissapointed he was.

To me, Min looks much more comfortable in a quick pace 2 miles than Douvan. I do believe Min could serve it upto Altior with his slick jumping, getting Altior off the bridle early (as he does) in a CC and putting his jumping under pressure.

Lets hope we see one of these match ups anyway

Altior VS Douvan
                      Altior VS Min

Comment

I was looking forward to Altior v Min last season before injury. So hopefully all Is fine this time around

Comment

I too think Min looks a better chaser than hurdler and believe he will be better over 2m than Douvan, big statement of course.

Hoping it's Altior vs Min, and even though Altior won cosily enough in the end at Cheltenham he was made to work for it and that race was without Min in it who in all honesty is potentially better opposition than Altior faced in the Arkle!

Comment

The dilemma with Min, who I want to have 'onside'. Is that realistically he can only go for the CC (12-1) or Ryanair (14-1).

Both races have a worthy fav in Altior and Fox Norton.

The any race market has Min at 7-1 best price. I don't see him being too much shorter know matter which race he runs in. The value only truly lies in knowing which race he is likely to go for. And knowing me, I would pick the wrong one! (CC for the record)...

Comment

Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
                              I too think Min looks a better chaser than hurdler and believe he will be better over 2m than Douvan, big statement of course.

Hoping it's Altior vs Min, and even though Altior won cosily enough in the end at Cheltenham he was made to work for it and that race was without Min in it who in all honesty is potentially better opposition than Altior faced in the Arkle!
                              Oosh yeh, very big statement. Ruby said Min would need to have improved over the summer to be considered as a top 2 miler... I can't have that being true at all.

I was debating with jono about this and think I'll be in the minority, but my big shout is the UDS would beat Min over 2m!

Comment

Mullins has said Min has come back much stronger than hes ever been.

Min hasn't done much wrong if you look back on his races. The injury in the supreme would have effected the distance he was beat by altior, possibly even the result, who knows and with a rumored wind op since then and the way he jumps a fence, i cant wait to see him back over 2 miles this season.

Comment

Working...
                                X