Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    I was looking forward to Altior v Min last season before injury. So hopefully all Is fine this time around

I too think Min looks a better chaser than hurdler and believe he will be better over 2m than Douvan, big statement of course.

Hoping it's Altior vs Min, and even though Altior won cosily enough in the end at Cheltenham he was made to work for it and that race was without Min in it who in all honesty is potentially better opposition than Altior faced in the Arkle!

The dilemma with Min, who I want to have 'onside'. Is that realistically he can only go for the CC (12-1) or Ryanair (14-1).

Both races have a worthy fav in Altior and Fox Norton.

The any race market has Min at 7-1 best price. I don't see him being too much shorter know matter which race he runs in. The value only truly lies in knowing which race he is likely to go for. And knowing me, I would pick the wrong one! (CC for the record)...

Quote Originally Posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
    I too think Min looks a better chaser than hurdler and believe he will be better over 2m than Douvan, big statement of course.

Hoping it's Altior vs Min, and even though Altior won cosily enough in the end at Cheltenham he was made to work for it and that race was without Min in it who in all honesty is potentially better opposition than Altior faced in the Arkle!
    Oosh yeh, very big statement. Ruby said Min would need to have improved over the summer to be considered as a top 2 miler... I can't have that being true at all.

I was debating with jono about this and think I'll be in the minority, but my big shout is the UDS would beat Min over 2m!

Mullins has said Min has come back much stronger than hes ever been.

Min hasn't done much wrong if you look back on his races. The injury in the supreme would have effected the distance he was beat by altior, possibly even the result, who knows and with a rumored wind op since then and the way he jumps a fence, i cant wait to see him back over 2 miles this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevloaf View Post
    Oosh yeh, very big statement. Ruby said Min would need to have improved over the summer to be considered as a top 2 miler... I can't have that being true at all.

I was debating with jono about this and think I'll be in the minority, but my big shout is the UDS would beat Min over 2m!
    Ruby say's a lot of things, he also said he reminds him of Kauto Star, as someone said earlier in the thread So I'll take his word with a pinch of salt.

Do you think UDS would push Altior? For me Altior does his best work at the finish, or least it seemed that way in the Arkle this year, if that's the case, and I believe it is, then Cheltenham should be perfect for him with the uphill finish, however Min has a brilliant turn of foot, more so, for some reason, it seems over fences than over hurdles, and it's that turn of foot for me that I think will see Altior struggle to peg back, should they actually meet of course!

I read that UDS and Altior are due to meet in the tingle creek ... so we'll find out hopefully. I do think UDS will be the toughest test that Altior will have faced, and it may give Altior the chance to put in an almighty performance. If he can pick up UDS and pull clear that'll impress me more than any of his other wins. (Not that he needs to)

If we go off what ruby has said, 1. He's like Kauto. 2. He's not a top 2 miler .... then you can ignore both haha. I'll go off my own thoughts that he was a notch below Altior, and he won't be bridging that gap. That doesn't mean he can't win races and he may be very good .... but he's not going to win any race at Cheltenham without a better horse underperforming in my opinion

Fair enough Kev, I'm of a differing opinion, but that's the great thing about this game, the opinions.

Looking forward to UDS vs Altior if it does go ahead, though does give WPM a line to against Altior for both Min & Douvan, despite having a different owner.

Quote Originally Posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
    Fair enough Kev, I'm of a differing opinion, but that's the great thing about this game, the opinions.

Looking forward to UDS vs Altior if it does go ahead, though does give WPM a line to against Altior for both Min & Douvan, despite having a different owner.

I'd think they'll be able to use that running to know where they stand with Douvan. My personal hunch is that, if they feel Douvan would have a favourites chance against Altior, he'll run.... if they DON'T, they'll say Min is improving, can "put it up to Altior".... send Douvan over further (maybe even pick up the Ryanair!) and win that race with Douvan, leaving Min to be 'put away' by Altior again. Altior improved as a chaser for me, and already had 7L on Min... so Min would need to have improved as a chaser (which he looks like he had AND then make up 7L)....

Soft ground for the Tingle Creek would be perfect to test Altior/UDS!

Thought I'd give this a little bump.

It's not that I don't respect the horse or the trainer but I am definitely going against Altior this festival.

My reasoning, well, I don't think anyone is under any illusions that this would be his toughest test to date should one of Douvan or Min turn up against him, then you also have Great Field in there too, I'm hoping it's Min & Great Field that take him on to be honest, both of which are massively lightly raced in comparison to Altior, and are arguably open to more improvement than him.

I've re-watched the Arkle and can't help but feel Altior would have been in trouble against any horse that had a turn of foot and gone on sooner, but such was the massive lack in opposition he only had to be OK to win the Arkle this year, if the same Altior turns up in that form of this years Arkle then I honestly can not see him winning. His current price is damn awful.

I will lay him nearer the time, after he's swooped by some inadequate opposition no doubt and becomes a whole lot shorter, then possible back in running and he's never one to get going quickly from what I've seen!