Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Champion Hurdle 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connections of Bunk Off Early are hopeful the talented gelding will rediscover his best form this season after undergoing life-saving colic surgery in the spring.

He certainly seemed well in himself a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by oceans View Post
      Only two ever won it, Hatton's Grace and Sea Pigeon. No one won it after a 2 year break. Faugheen broke the mold several times by being the only P2P winner to win it, being a grade winner over 3 miles before winning it(not sure if any other champion had this strange route), not having a prep-run before winning it(only 1-2 others managed to do it, ROR was one of them but even he had a race gallop at Haydock I believe).. unfortunately the issue now is the age which is too big of a factor and coming after a series of injuries, its a big question if he'll ever run in it let alone winning it.
      Totally concur - and he's 2nd Fav! Joint 2nd/3rd Fav DDS will be 5 and we all know their record in the CH. 4th Fav Yorkhill is a poor sub for Faugheen all followed by Min, Apples Jade, Douvan, Labaik et al.
      BD'Air on that basis should be more like 2/1 and Melon looks a great e/way shout at 25/1

Comment

Forget the e/way on Melon - have a bit more on BD'Air!

Comment

Originally posted by Unhomme View Post
          Totally concur - and he's 2nd Fav! Joint 2nd/3rd Fav DDS will be 5 and we all know their record in the CH. 4th Fav Yorkhill is a poor sub for Faugheen all followed by Min, Apples Jade, Douvan, Labaik et al.
          BD'Air on that basis should be more like 2/1 and Melon looks a great e/way shout at 25/1
          I've been the biggest preacher of 5yo trends in this race for years, but I've been swaying towards consideration that it's less the 5yo issue and more the Triumph hurdle factor.
          The New course being a much bigger test of stamina stretched a 4yo stamina to the limits, therefore switching back to the speedier Old course a year later is a tough ask, and sadly we see very few 4yo in the Supreme, also run on the Old course (despite the weight for age allowance), so this theory can't be fully tested.
          But all that said, I thought very early last year that DDS could be a very special horse and still believe that, I think the odds are stacked against him but if he was to succeed it would be some feat.
          Worth remembering also that throughout last year connections thought Charlie Parcs would be their leading Triumph horse, I think it was trials day and they were both declared, all the money was for CP until he was pulled half an hour from the race.

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
            I've been the biggest preacher of 5yo trends in this race for years, but I've been swaying towards consideration that it's less the 5yo issue and more the Triumph hurdle factor.
            The New course being a much bigger test of stamina stretched a 4yo stamina to the limits, therefore switching back to the speedier Old course a year later is a tough ask, and sadly we see very few 4yo in the Supreme, also run on the Old course (despite the weight for age allowance), so this theory can't be fully tested.
            But all that said, I thought very early last year that DDS could be a very special horse and still believe that, I think the odds are stacked against him but if he was to succeed it would be some feat.
            Worth remembering also that throughout last year connections thought Charlie Parcs would be their leading Triumph horse, I think it was trials day and they were both declared, all the money was for CP until he was pulled half an hour from the race.
            That last part isn't lost on me and the faith Hendo still has is certainly worth a double take. I've said before and will say again ... 7 rub for DDS last session means for me, he cannot improve as much as would usually be expected. I think he was very forward for his age, and bold as it may be ... I think Charli Parcs could end up being a better horse

Comment

The point I was attempting to make (but did't get round to making) was that CP was the leading Triumph horse right up to Chelt week and his participation was in doubt right to the day, but he may turn out to be a speedier horse than DDS and therefore be a better Champion Hurdle proposition.
              The key for me was the way CP ran his Triumph, he quickened well after 2 out was bang there at the bottom of the hill, but when stamina came into play DDS had bundles in hand, CP showed good speed and the Old Course may well play to his strengths more than DDS....

Comment

I think you could very well be onto something with this theory Ista, makes plenty of sense

Comment

CP one for the Greatwood? Would have a hell of a chance off that rating if he's as good as Hendo thinks he is.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                    CP one for the Greatwood? Would have a hell of a chance off that rating if he's as good as Hendo thinks he is.
                    I'll bump the "cliff horse" thread shall I?

Comment

I to have had me first play in this race. I watched Melon race last year in supreme managed to get 20/1 ew.

Comment

Ive long had the opinion McManus have three two milers to go to war with this season in champion - B'Air , Defi and Charli .

I cant have it that all three will run in champion , logic tells you one must go Arkle.

Point my learned friend Istabraq makes about the two courses is well worth considering . Im pretty confident Defi will support B'Air in champion and Charli will go Arkle.

If he takes to fences Charli's flat speed will do for me over current sub standard Arkle , certainly no star horse apart from Finians Oscar potentially. His future target will be alot clearer after Saturday.

Its going to have to be a pretty smart hurdler to wrestle the Champion hurdle off McManus , and only a certain Willie Mullins looks like having the amo at this stage.

Comment

Originally posted by The Beast View Post
                          Ive long had the opinion McManus have three two milers to go to war with this season in champion - B'Air , Defi and Charli .

I cant have it that all three will run in champion , logic tells you one must go Arkle.

Point my learned friend Istabraq makes about the two courses is well worth considering . Im pretty confident Defi will support B'Air in champion and Charli will go Arkle.

If he takes to fences Charli's flat speed will do for me over current sub standard Arkle , certainly no star horse apart from Finians Oscar potentially. His future target will be alot clearer after Saturday.

Its going to have to be a pretty smart hurdler to wrestle the Champion hurdle off McManus , and only a certain Willie Mullins looks like having the amo at this stage.
                          Charlie Parcs definitely stays over hurdles
                          Jp has movewiththetimes as an arkle hopeful
                          https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
                          Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

Only an act of god stops buveur dair / faugheen winning this anyway.
                            https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
                            Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

So you reckon McManus runs these three plus probably My Tent Or Yours , cant see it in all honesty Scooby.

MWTT is interesting i give you that.

Comment

Ive taken a chance on another JP runner for this in Campeador, I accept that he has an awful lot to find but he really could be anything and ive taken 100/1 on the exchanges, if I see he has an entry for a hurdle ill take some of the 50/1 ew with PP.

Comment

Working...
                                X