Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Champion Hurdle 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hurricane fly View Post
    I Assume Moon Racer is staying Over hurdles will be aimed at this?

Or they could keep his rating down diwn and go for the county hurdle?

He doesn't seem to be priced for anything
    Moon Racer had colic during the summer and is unlikely to run this season

Comment

Having trained the second in both races, Willie is in a pretty good position to assess the comparative merits of the 2016 and 2017 Supremes. Melon is rated similar to BDA coming out of their respective novice seasons and with a similar amount of improvement expected.

Comment

Aside from all this Melon chat my fancy for the Champion Hurdle would be Yorkhill, he travels well enough in his races to make me think he can keep up with the pace then make his engine count coming up the hill. Not getting involved yet as we need to see where he goes, but I read a recent interview with Wylie where he says all connections think that Yorkhill is a better hurdler than chaser. Surely if that's the case then they'd be wary of going for a hot looking Gold Cup this year? Wylie also said the answer would come when we see if Mullins starts him off over hurdles or fences

Comment

Wouldn't be the biggest shock if Yorkhill ended back over Hurdles, if Faugheen doesn't make it then I have the gut feeling that Yorkhill will be Mullins' best chance next year of Champion Hurdle glory.

I think it is likely the experience of fences for Yorkhill would have tidied his jumping up, as he could be very clumsy over hurdles at times.

Comment

Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
            Wouldn't be the biggest shock if Yorkhill ended back over Hurdles, if Faugheen doesn't make it then I have the gut feeling that Yorkhill will be Mullins' best chance next year of Champion Hurdle glory.

I think it is likely the experience of fences for Yorkhill would have tidied his jumping up, as he could be very clumsy over hurdles at times.
            You see here's the thing. I love the horse and if he does revert to hurdles then he will go close...BUT it's not like he was a slick and fluent jumper of a hurdle! I would not have praised him for his jumping over hurdles on his other runs, it was his talent, class and engine that was so appealing. His best performance over hurdles was at Cheltenham where he looked much more straight forward but the same can be said about his chasing runs. I just don't see it being a sudden "revert back and everything will be ok again"...

I certainly agree that Yorkhill going here looks to be dependant on Faugheen so until the Morgiana or Hattons Grace we won't have any clearer idea of the plan imo. Ruby won't allow them both to run in the same race that's for sure

Comment

Faugheen or Yorkhill in a match, everyone surely thinks Ruby rides and Faugheen wins....

8/1 for that, versus the 12s for Yorkhill and IMO you'd be mad to back the Wylie runner. I took a punt on Yorkhill for this at 20s after he was beaten over fences last year, but I couldn't dream of backing at the price he is now...

Unlikely runner still, unless Faugheen doesn't reappear. Echoing the above.

Comment

I think the Ryanair is the race that would give Yorkhill the best chance of winning at this year's festival, but think connections will plump for either the Champion Hurdle or Gold Cup. Wherever he goes he'll be up against another Mullins horse (Champion - Faugheen/Melon, Ryanair - Douvan/Min/Great Field, Gold Cup - Djakadam) so I think owner may dictate, and Wylie's comments so far suggest they see him at his best over hurdles. As soon as we know where Yorkhill is going then I think the picture will become far clearer and we'll be able to work out some of other mullins' horses likely targets. I certainly wouldn't be backing him if aimed at the Gold Cup - I don't think the form of his point win over 3m is that strong, he's erratic, and just can't see him jumping round well enough to still be in contention against that field over 3m plus. If Faugheen doesn't make it then I think Yorkhill goes here and Ruby rides, if Faugheen comes back looking good then not a clue. I'm assuming they'll be schooling Yorkhill over both hurdles and fences at home, and then we'll see him out after Faugheen

Comment

I've never been a big fan of Yorkhill but I'd prefer to back him in a gold cup, rather than a champion hurdle. Agree that his best chance of winning a race would appear to be the Ryanair.

On another point, surely they don't go for the gold cup again with Djakadam. He'd have an outstanding chance in the Ryanair.

Comment

Ruby very much wants to ride Yorkhill in the Gold Cup. Willie isn't so sure and Graham Wylie has recently been too busy with his golf tournament to give it much thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                      I've never been a big fan of Yorkhill but I'd prefer to back him in a gold cup, rather than a champion hurdle. Agree that his best chance of winning a race would appear to be the Ryanair.

On another point, surely they don't go for the gold cup again with Djakadam. He'd have an outstanding chance in the Ryanair.
                      I have a pt on Djakadam for the Ryanair so hope it plays out like that! His form figures over 2m 4/5 are impeccable and surely he's earnt a chance at winning a race like that at the festival. Recent comments though suggest he'll be in the Gold Cup again, I'd imagine finishing 4th/5th this year

Comment

Originally posted by archie View Post
                        Ruby very much wants to ride Yorkhill in the Gold Cup. Willie isn't so sure and Graham Wylie has recently been too busy with his golf tournament to give it much thought.
                        Probably spot on. As soon as we know where Yorkhill goes it makes things clearer in my head as I can't be backing him in that race this year

Comment

Totally agree I think Djakadam is Definitly best suited for a tilt at Ryanair

Comment

Originally posted by Geordieboy83 View Post
                            Totally agree I think Djakadam is Definitly best suited for a tilt at Ryanair
                            Djakdam has form figures at 2m3f-2m5f of 11F11 (the F being when close up, 4 out on the JLT).

Wrong thread, but I'd send Djakadam Ryanair too!

Comment

Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
                              Hoping Faugheen wins well then gets a deserved retirement if I am honest. We have had a couple of 9 year olds in recent times but not since the early 1980's have we seen a 10 year old win a Champion Hurdle, it would be a monumental achievement if he could!
                              Only two ever won it, Hatton's Grace and Sea Pigeon. No one won it after a 2 year break. Faugheen broke the mold several times by being the only P2P winner to win it, being a grade winner over 3 miles before winning it(not sure if any other champion had this strange route), not having a prep-run before winning it(only 1-2 others managed to do it, ROR was one of them but even he had a race gallop at Haydock I believe).. unfortunately the issue now is the age which is too big of a factor and coming after a series of injuries, its a big question if he'll ever run in it let alone winning it.

Comment

Coincidentally, Faugheen has had exactly the same number of races under rules as Buveur D'Air.

Comment

Working...
                                X