Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Champion Hurdle 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you HAD to place a bet, at 8/1 - would you want it on Defi Du Seuil or Faugheen.

As a straight "match up" between those two I am finding it very difficult to know what I would do!

Comment

I'd be all over Faugheen in a match with DDS so would prefer to back him out of those two.

Comment

I asked as I just watched Faugheen's last run (as I am sad and spend my Sunday's doing similar things ) but then watched DDS in the Triumph and think I have under-estimated/forgotten just how easily he did it.

With the two being the same price, and me having previously said I think DDS is a poor price as he may not improve as much as people expect, I wondered whether that makes Faugheen a good price. I think potential that he doesn't retain the ability and the potential he won't run out-weight that as being a good price either at this stage...

Faugheen would be quite long odds on in a match, so is 8/1 value for Faugheen, OR is DDS terrible value at 8s?

Comment

At 8/1 right now...Defi du Seuil

On the day i'd back 100% back Faugheen over Defi du Seuil in a match though.

Comment

Nicky has said that the fighting fifth might be a target for Buveur D'air. If he goes there I might make the journey across.

Comment

Faugheen all day long , if he gets to race he will be very short. If he didnt , I could see Defi no smaller than 3/1F

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                Nicky has said that the fighting fifth might be a target for Buveur D'air. If he goes there I might make the journey across.
                On AMERICAN day at Newbury?

I wonder when DDS will take on a serious rival? You think he'll turn up on boxing day? Will BVD avoid the machine (Or vice versa) ....

Comment

Wouldn't it be great if Faugheen took on either Buveur D'air of DDS at Kempton. That'd clear the waters slightly, ahead of the festival.

Comment

Wouldn't it be great if Faugheen took on either Buveur D'air of DDS at Kempton. That'd clear the waters slightly, ahead of the festival.
                    I'd just be happy if Faugheen made it to Cheltenham in one piece tbh, bring back the best, then we have a real Champion Hurdle race!

I don't think RR & WPM would have taken the defeats of many of their horses (more so RR than WPM) lightly, and feel we may see a few of his go in again next year. Hoping Faugheen wins well then gets a deserved retirement if I am honest. We have had a couple of 9 year olds in recent times but not since the early 1980's have we seen a 10 year old win a Champion Hurdle, it would be a monumental achievement if he could!

Comment

Also, I have well and truly got stuck in to this race now, BD, Faugheen & Arctic Fire (trade only) have all seen some of my money, but just wondering where you guys stand on Melon, is he actually good enough to win this at the first time of asking against some more race toughened opponents?

Comment

Melon is potentially good enough to win this, or at least to place. he has only ran 3 times over hurdles so there should be plenty of improvement to come. Labaik and Melon pulled well clear in the supreme as well, a better performance in the supreme than Buveur D'air did the previous year.

Comment

For me, Melon is a decent poke at 25/1. We haven't got the form available yet to see how good the supreme was, but history tells you placing isn't bad in the supreme and Mullins did definitely say they bought him to be a champion hurdler. Now he knows a thing or two about what ' Type ' that would be, and if Faugheen gets injured and/or Yorkhill is over fences, Melon could well be Ruby's mount and then on a price basis he's going to be 5 times smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
                            Also, I have well and truly got stuck in to this race now, BD, Faugheen & Arctic Fire (trade only) have all seen some of my money, but just wondering where you guys stand on Melon, is he actually good enough to win this at the first time of asking against some more race toughened opponents?
                            Like you C.o.D , well in in this race now. I sort of wish that Melon was only 10-1 , then i would probably think twice about
                            backing it , but at 25's it's too tempting . !!. After all the hype last year , I would say he did well and is a decent
                            contender for the C.H ,

Comment

I Assume Moon Racer is staying Over hurdles will be aimed at this?

Or they could keep his rating down diwn and go for the county hurdle?

He doesn't seem to be priced for anything

Comment

Melon is potentially good enough to win this, or at least to place. he has only ran 3 times over hurdles so there should be plenty of improvement to come. Labaik and Melon pulled well clear in the supreme as well, a better performance in the supreme than Buveur D'air did the previous year.
                                The 2016 Supreme was an extremely strong renewal. I'm not sure what Labaik and Melon achieved matched that of BVD.

However, I do agree Melon to be good enough to place in this years CH.

Comment

Working...
                                X