Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Champion Hurdle 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
    Agreed Innoko. If he doesn't show his old sparkle in his first couple of starts this season he'll more than likely be retired. It sounds like they've had him in training for a while so he should be fit and ready to go first time up.
    I did hear (what I thought was) a good point that he might not improve as much as you'd expect after the Morgiana... so whatever he DOES show there, might be exactly where he is at in terms of ability, as he's been in training all summer and they'll surely give him a break after this race, rather than turn him out again afterwards before Christmas? (Which would be unlikely in any case!)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
      I did hear (what I thought was) a good point that he might not improve as much as you'd expect after the Morgiana... so whatever he DOES show there, might be exactly where he is at in terms of ability, as he's been in training all summer and they'll surely give him a break after this race, rather than turn him out again afterwards before Christmas? (Which would be unlikely in any case!)
      He's been ticking over all year and not left out at grass, rather than having a hard time of it and needing a break after 1 run. I'd expect the intention would be to go onto the Christmas hurdle at Kempton boxing day all being well.
      https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
      Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

I could see no possible way Faugheen wouldn't be favourite if he turned up on the day.

IF he turns up, he'll have had to have proven a level of ability that means they believed he'd have a fighting chance and even if he shouldn't be fav, the money would just keep coming?

No possible way might be a bit strong.... but that is my line of thinking.

I think BvD was more decisive than they'd anticipated but I think Hendo is just saying they'd have had a crack at Faugheen anyway, and him not running made it easier...?
        I mean, if he's going to run, I will rearrange all my plans to attend the Tuesday just to see him. That's the kind of mentality that will surely make him fav right

Comment

• Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
          He's been ticking over all year and not left out at grass, rather than having a hard time of it and needing a break after 1 run. I'd expect the intention would be to go onto the Christmas hurdle at Kempton boxing day all being well.
          That wouldn't be any different to the norm though would it? he'd then have been ticking over since about April, right up to Christmas? Then a break?

I think they'll go Morgiana... then duck Buveur D'air in the Christmas hurdle and send Melon over for a sighter..... before calling stumps and Faugheen is retired

I mean, if he's going to run, I will rearrange all my plans to attend the Tuesday just to see him. That's the kind of mentality that will surely make him fav right
          Yes robith, absolutely this haha

Comment

• Originally posted by robith View Post
            If took a risk and backed him at 8s. But I can deffinately see a way he turns up and dosent go off fav, especially if he stays in Ireland, and or buveur dair cleans up the opposite trials. If he's sound I doubt you'd retire him without giving him his chance to bounce back and regain his crown on the day , simular to sprinter sacre being workmanlike against sire de grugy and un de sceaux winning well beforehand

Comment

That wouldn't be any different to the norm though would it? he'd then have been ticking over since about April, right up to Christmas? Then a break?

I think they'll go Morgiana... then duck Buveur D'air in the Christmas hurdle and send Melon over for a sighter..... before calling stumps and Faugheen is retired

Yes robith, absolutely this haha
              That wouldn't be the norm, faugheen would be left out at grass and come in as fat as a pig in October the last few years

Comment

• Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
                If took a risk and backed him at 8s. But I can deffinately see a way he turns up and dosent go off fav, especially if he stays in Ireland, and or buveur dair cleans up the opposite trials. If he's sound I doubt you'd retire him without giving him his chance to bounce back and regain his crown on the day , simular to sprinter sacre being workmanlike against sire de grugy and un de sceaux winning well beforehand
                I did think about good old Sprinter Sacre before I posted...I think the Mullins/Ricci factor would sway it...but I guess it does depend on EXACTLY what we do see!

Comment

I did think about good old Sprinter Sacre before I posted...I think the Mullins/Ricci factor would sway it...but I guess it does depend on EXACTLY what we do see!
                  If buveur dair and faugheen both met in Christmas hurdle and buveur dair won by 1- 8 lengths with a simular gap back to the 3rd. I'd be shocked if they just suddenly retired faugheen without giving him his 1 chance on the day.

Comment

• I am firmly of the opinion if Faugheen turns up a)he will be fav b) Walsh rides c) small select field as he scares away opposition d) will win , say that because he would have shown form prior , so punters know he retains ability .

He so far clear on ratings , he could turn up slightly less the horse he was and still win.

Comment

• Anyone think we need to factor in an appearance in the Irish Champion Hurdle?

His/THE standout 2 mile performance since, well since before my time.

Comment

• Does anyone see Jenkins targeting this race ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                          Does anyone see Jenkins targeting this race ?
                          Someone does as I seen he was blue on the exchange, not sure anyone would admit it though lol.

Comment

• I wouldn't back Faugheen for the CH until they were on their way down to the start for the Morgiana but, if he wins at Punchestown I think he'll be favourite for Cheltenham by the time he gets back to his stable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                              Does anyone see Jenkins targeting this race ?
                              I contacted Nicky Henderson through Twitter the other day to see if he was running at the weekend, or they were holding him back for the Greatwood. He basically said they hadn't decided yet and a lot would depend on the ground. I'm hoping he isn't declared for Saturday so I can back him ante post for the Greatwood.

I couldn't consider him for the Champion Hurdle at this stage though.

Comment

• Strangely, Melon has been put out to 25/1 with PP & Betfair this evening.

Edit: What a doughnut, was looking at the Arkle market

Comment

Working...
                                X