Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Champion Hurdle 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jonthehammer View Post
    I very rarely use the exchanges as I like to see my horse win rather than lose. Just not my thing that and I cannot get to grips with it.

In future I won’t post anything I hear. Simpler that way
    I'm all for opinions, I will listen to anyone regarding their own personal views on a trainer/horse/jockey, but rumours or potential news is so hard to get right, because unless you have say a video or link for the source that is known in the wider racing community it may as well come from my mum, who has absolutely no knowledge of horse racing, but is someone I do trust!

This isn't me having a pop at you, by all means say your piece, but with rumours/news come many disbelievers also, and it can also cause larger issues than just one person not believing you in the end, as Liam said earlier, it is borderline slander.

Comment

• Fair point. I do trust this guy 100% like but I won’t post on matters like this again if it upsets people. No point in that. It wasn’t meant to cause bother and I apologise to everyone if it has.

Comment

• Originally posted by jonthehammer View Post
        Fair point. I do trust this guy 100% like but I won’t post on matters like this again if it upsets people. No point in that. It wasn’t meant to cause bother and I apologise to everyone if it has.
        No need to apologize mate, and certainly no hard feelings from me. I love this forum, so many opinions on racing, I'd probably say we all just stick to them, unless actual news breaks of course

Comment

• Sure fella. Less than 5 weeks now.

Btw is there an actual roll call thread of who is going to the festival? Be good to try and meet up for a pint.

Comment

• Anyone else heard that Faugheen will be riding with headgear for the first time in this ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
              Anyone else heard that Faugheen will be riding with headgear for the first time in this ?
              No? That would smack of absolute desperation from Mullins wouldn't it? I don't know the figures but I believe he uses it incredibly rarely?

Comment

• Desperation or trying to squeeze an extra ounce of improvement from him ?
                No idea, but horses with headgear rarely win championship races....

Comment

• I’ve had a punt at 25s on wicklow brave. I’m wanting to take buveur d’air on with something and for me there are parallels to labaik in last year’s supreme. If you watch his Punchestown win back, even then he lost a few lengths when slow to start. He then pulled his way to the front and still held off MTOY fairly comfortably. That suggests the horse has huge ability and has a huge performance in him if everything clicks into place. If he starts off levels he’d surely have to be there or thereabouts, and with Mullins training him for the day (and maybe seeing him as his best hope now bizarrely) I want to have him covered. Buveur D’air would kick off a few multiples for me so hope he wins and he’s obviously still the most likely winner, just don’t like the way he’s been campaigned this year. This will be his first proper race and there’s a chance that if something gets him off the bridle a way out he will be vulnerable

Comment

• The more I look at this race, the more it seems wide open (apart from Buveur D'air). I like Verdana Blue at 50/1 e/w; she ran a nice race on unsuitable ground in the Betfair and will be fully tuned for this and, in receipt of the mares allowance, has a real chance of surprising a few people. When you look at the horses ahead of her in the betting it is not too difficult to rule out a bunch of them; here goes:

Faugheen - beaten by Supasundae in the latter's warm up race for the Stayers. Look like a shadow of his former self on the evidence of his last two runs
                    My Tent Or Yours - the form of his win over Melon (when getting all of the allowances)is not looking so good after the latter's run at Leopardstown
                    Yorkhill - ran without any sparkle whatsoever at Leopardstown and, at present, impossible to fancy; even if he does turn up here
                    Melon - very disappointing at Leopardstown and now has a lot to prove even at the more realistic 16/1 odds
                    Wicklow Brave - well beaten in this race last year after returning from Australia. His flat form last year was some way below his best and another trek to Australia will be difficult to overcome
                    Apple's Jade - if she turns up must have a great chance. But, based on all the comments, she will not be coming here. (Probably should though)
                    Min - going for the Queen Mother surely
                    Chtibello - Won the Scottish Hurdle two years off 135 but then beaten of 141 by Gwafa (rec 4lbs) - that's not good enough
                    The New One - doesn't run
                    Mick Jazz - basically a handicapper who did well to win at Christmas. Pulled up on only run at Cheltenham when joint favourite
                    Call Me Lord - everybody says he need to go right-handed but his wins in France were both left-handed so wouldn't be so quick to discount him. He's basically a good handicapper but there would be worse e/w bets even though he may well need softer ground than he is likely to get
                    Defi Du Seuil - looks a shadow of his 4 year-old self. Cannot fancy.

There you go - can't fail to be placed!!

Comment

• Had 2pts on Min for the champion hurdle with paddy at 12s. If Douvan is fit and firing and goes champion chase then I’m sure Min will go elsewhere. Ryanair the obvious option but with Willie having Un De Sceaux and Yorkhill for that he surely wouldn’t have three of his big guns going for that race. The champion hurdle is where he could be short, and if Min were to line up I’d honestly have him as favourite to beat Buveur D’air. He beat him in the Supreme when possibly not 100% and seems in equally good order now, if not better. All very unlikely of course but money back if he doesn’t run and 12/1 is way too big a price

Comment

• Originally posted by Bayoffreedom View Post
                        The more I look at this race, the more it seems wide open (apart from Buveur D'air). I like Verdana Blue at 50/1 e/w; she ran a nice race on unsuitable ground in the Betfair and will be fully tuned for this and, in receipt of the mares allowance, has a real chance of surprising a few people. When you look at the horses ahead of her in the betting it is not too difficult to rule out a bunch of them; here goes:

Faugheen - beaten by Supasundae in the latter's warm up race for the Stayers. Look like a shadow of his former self on the evidence of his last two runs
                        My Tent Or Yours - the form of his win over Melon (when getting all of the allowances)is not looking so good after the latter's run at Leopardstown
                        Yorkhill - ran without any sparkle whatsoever at Leopardstown and, at present, impossible to fancy; even if he does turn up here
                        Melon - very disappointing at Leopardstown and now has a lot to prove even at the more realistic 16/1 odds
                        Wicklow Brave - well beaten in this race last year after returning from Australia. His flat form last year was some way below his best and another trek to Australia will be difficult to overcome
                        Apple's Jade - if she turns up must have a great chance. But, based on all the comments, she will not be coming here. (Probably should though)
                        Min - going for the Queen Mother surely
                        Chtibello - Won the Scottish Hurdle two years off 135 but then beaten of 141 by Gwafa (rec 4lbs) - that's not good enough
                        The New One - doesn't run
                        Mick Jazz - basically a handicapper who did well to win at Christmas. Pulled up on only run at Cheltenham when joint favourite
                        Call Me Lord - everybody says he need to go right-handed but his wins in France were both left-handed so wouldn't be so quick to discount him. He's basically a good handicapper but there would be worse e/w bets even though he may well need softer ground than he is likely to get
                        Defi Du Seuil - looks a shadow of his 4 year-old self. Cannot fancy.

There you go - can't fail to be placed!!
                        I like that bet BOF, but I think the 40/1 ew NRNB w/o BD with BF is probably the better way to play it as brings in the win element and gives you 4 places to aim at.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brital View Post
                          I like that bet BOF, but I think the 40/1 ew NRNB w/o BD with BF is probably the better way to play it as brings in the win element and gives you 4 places to aim at.
                          Totally agree. Unfortunately, here in the US, I can only place win and e/w ante post bets and nothing more 'exotic' (including ny life changing multiples) I can't access any of the UK bookmaker sites so will have to wait until I'm over before engaging. The betting w/o market looks the right play.

Comment

• I’m sure someone would be willing to place bets for you BOF, I’d be happy to but I don’t have the range of accs remaining some would have...

Comment

• Hope there’s not too many of you sitting on DDS slips

Comment

• The New one and defi the most high profile ones taken out of the champion hurdle today

Comment

Working...
                                X