Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    I think if Faugheen gets to Cheltenham he will ONLY go for the Champion Hurdle. If he does get beaten and doesn't have the speed then I suppose it becomes a bit more of a possbility but he'll be being 'aimed' at the festival, so even a defeat on return will be forgiven?
    I 100% think Mullins, Ruby and the yard are not even in the slightest contemplating the World Hurdle or any other race bar the CH for Faugheen. I also think they will give him plenty of leeway, after all he got beat on the Morgiana in 2015 to then bounce back at Kempton and then record a frankly phenomenal performance in the Irish Champion so a defeat shouldn't lead to any rash decisions.

I don't think it will happen (going for the WH) - The Irish challengers looking few and far between and most being in Mullins yard, just getting Faugheen back he may have enough to go through the Irish trails unbeaten, looking like he is back. We very well may not find out until March once the race has run...BUT I could see it happening if his runs don't go as expected.

I'll remain extremely sceptical that all 3 aspects (he returns, ability, speed) come good for the horse, I very much hope i'm proved wrong though.

Saying that, Faugheen was at the Curragh today, and in fairness he does looks in good shape...

Also a brief interview with Ruby on Faugheen (and Douvan)

Before we (I)! get carried away with Faugheen. I am sure ee could find almost double figures for similar sound bites all through last season for Faugheen and Annie Power and it didn't happen!

What are we expecting to turn up in the Morgiana bar Mullins' runners? He may end up wiining at very short odds against a couple of stable mates running over the wron g distance and we won't find out much at all! Apples Jade?!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevloaf View Post
    He may end up wiining at very short odds against a couple of stable mates running over the wron g distance and we won't find out much at all!
    Right now that's exactly what I can see happening, which could make it quite difficult to weigh up assess him post race.

I've seen a few mentions for Apples Jade for the CH over the summer. For the CH I can't quite see it myself. I think she's much more a stayer so if anything would go up in trip if she was to move on from the mares. You'd imagine the Hatton's Grace is her first main aim of the season but on everything we've seen with her the more racing, the better and she runs. She ran in the Hatton's Grace 8 days after the Fighting Fifth run last season so they could try to take in both, keeping her in Ireland this year.

very early days but he alive and well , from betting point of view guess wager to cover any other CH or WH bets way to go.

One other point id raise is that previously seasons its took couple of runs to get him cherry ripe (carries more condition than vidal sassoon) , so connections i presume will need a very clear run to Cheltenham with him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    so connections i presume will need a very clear run to Cheltenham with him.
    Very good point that Beast.

It's hard to add too much more to the post (A* for an opening post Kev ) and i'd echo a lot of the thoughts mentioned on here already.I know it's 6 months to go but the value for me is still with Buveur D'Air as I think 4/1 is too big (should be more like 5/2 in my eyes). I'm honestly struglling to find any value otherwise. I can see the appeal with Melon but it is very hard to pinpoint an angle into the race at the moment. I'm really clutching at straws with many in the betting.

The only other one I can think of, and not that JP needs another shot at the race is Campeador at 50/1?
    No idea on the plan for the horse and there IS a big handicap hurdle waiting for him but i'm convinced he's better than that. Travels through his races supremely well and Elliott described his cruising speed as "unbelievable" last year. So unexposed as well and only 5 years old. Any thoughts there, particularly with this race in mind? He was a clear favourite for the County before getting ruled out in February.

My book so far:

Revolves all around Buveur, much like most alongside Yorkhill in the any race market. (and yes, i'm very much in the chasing camp so i’ll only talk about him in the Gold Cup thread where he belongs

Buveur D'Air - 4/1 - 4pts WIN (+ 14pts in multiples)
    Yorkhill - 6/1 - 2pts WIN Any Race
    Last edited by jono; 09-10-2017 at 11:08 PM.

Disappointed you haven't taken the 100/1 for Jenkins jono. #mugpunter.

Campeador would be interesting but I always tie myself in knots wwith theories about which race they want to win! Some lacklustre performances over the 'wrong trip' and he could be aimed at one of the handicaps. OR he'll run averagly, drop in the weights and everyone will THINK its a plot and he'll not get the job done. Little bit too much JP bingo butr 50/1 you pay your money and take your chance I guess? Probably worth checking on the exchanges.

Elliott did say Apples Jade would get lapped in a Champion Hurdle so I can't see her improving with a step down in trip. A head victory over 2m4f versus Limini and VVM is solid form but I just can't see her exciting me at all.... even if she does manage to battle past IRVING this season.

From the RUK club magazine - Ruby Walsh article today:

Half horse, half machine
    "Faugheen has not run since Jan 2016, having been plagued by setbacks, but every indication is that he's firmly back on the road to recovery. He went to grass over the summer in great heart and is back in pre-training now. Everyone seems very happy with him.

It will be some time yet before I am allowed back on him, but if he gets back to his best, which we are very hopeful of, then I think he will dominate the two mile hurdle scene.

Look at last year's division. I really respect Buveur D'air and what he went on to achieve, but remember he only resumed hurdling the month before the Champion Hurdle, and Nicky and JP puilled off a masterstroke in re-routing him. The likes of LAbaik and Melon might stake a claim but they are not up to Faugheen's level. I think he's one hell of a horse."

Is there a clue in there from Ruby that Melon stays over hurdles?

Quote Originally Posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
    Is there a clue in there from Ruby that Melon stays over hurdles?
    I think so! You can definitely find quotes from Mullins saying that they bought Melon as a future Champion Hurdler too.

Looks like a huge hint he goes the CH route to me FM