Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Noel Meade Stable Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After the sad demise of Go Native, Noel Meade is hoping for a change in fortune.

Five days earlier, Go Native had crumpled at the last when on the girth of Hurricane Fly in the Morgiana Hurdle at Punchestown without Paul Carberry having asked a definitive question. Meade brought the horse home, had him thoroughly examined and proclaimed himself as happy as he could be. His stable star was fit again and there were any number of targets to aim for. All seemed right with the world again.

It took just one agonising moment for everything to change. Meade heard disaster strike before he saw it, a grotesquely loud crack from 100 yards away that told him instantly to expect the worst. In the distance he could see Go Native's hock swinging uselessly mid-air and his regular work rider, Alan McIlroy, in shock beside him. It was one of those things, a freakish reminder of the brittleness of racehorses, that can cast a gloom over an entire yard.

There was a hideous quality to the accident, though, that even now, more than three weeks on, Meade is struggling to come to terms with. "Because Martin still has a big say in the horse, we were discussing whether we'd go to Leopardstown or Kempton over Christmas. That's what the conversation was about. Suddenly, there's no need to talk anymore. Because we don't have a horse to go anywhere. That's very hard to take."

It is 41 years since Meade sent out his first winner – after which his Tu Va stable took its name – and it is easy to assume that the regular setbacks which are part and parcel of the life might inure him to the heartbreak that follows. On the contrary, he says, you never grow accustomed to it. He thinks back to the horses he has lost and how deeply each loss affected him. None greater or lesser than any other. Just each in their own way different.

Around the turn of the century he lost Cardinal Hill to a bout of colic when he was spending the summer at JP McManus's home in Co Limerick. What hit Meade hard was the sense of blossoming potential that would never be fulfilled, the eternity of not-knowing. He thought Cardinal Hill might be the Champion Hurdler he had always yearned for. Instead the horse never lived past five.

He thinks of Iktitaf too, still on the bridle when falling at the second last in the 2005 Champion Hurdle. One day the horse had finished work when the idea of popping a few hurdles entered Meade's head and the last of them drew a fatal tendon injury.

"It haunted me for a long time afterwards," he says. "You ask yourself why did I jump him? There was no need to do it. With Go Native there was nothing. Everything was perfect. We couldn't have done anything differently."

That's the game, he thinks. You clock up the years and it doesn't get easier. You never crack the code. There's no handbook or accumulation of experience that makes it less harrowing to have to ring an owner and instead of regaling them with news of the latest sparkling workout, you begin the conversation with the last words they want to hear – "I'm afraid I've got bad news for you."

"I was talking to somebody about this recently," Meade says, "and he said you've got to be strong-minded. Because at times you can feel very down about things that happen. One day you're a king and the next you're a pauper – that's the way it is. You have to try and keep as much of a balance as you can. If you let yourself go up and down too much, you'd go mad. You just couldn't stick it."

So he contemplates where he is right now and it seems a blessing to be able to say he's nicely ticking over. To date, Meade has trained 38 winners this season and if that seems a modest total in comparison to the 101 saddled by Willie Mullins, it promises at least to be his best season for some time and a sign, perhaps, that the harshest years have passed. A renaissance of sorts.

The bad years hit Meade hard enough. But virtually every stable in the country has suffered too and there was never a time when Meade would have considered himself immune to the downturn. There was a time around the mid-point of the last decade when reaching 100 seasonal winners was the perennial target and Christmas week hailed a dizzying spell when horses were sent to all parts of the country, one or two bound for the hopeful ferry trip across the Irish Sea.

So things are quieter now. At his height, Meade supposes he was dealing with upwards of 150 horses, now he's down to maybe half that. He misses the wave of newly-minted builders and developers who crammed his Co Meath stable with good horses, of course. They invested heavily and understood racing, like property, to be a business that could go up or down depending on how fortune smiled upon you. And then they were gone, leaving the trainers to pick up the pieces as best they could.

"We all took a bit of a hit," he says, "although Willie [Mullins] was able to ride through it better than anyone else. He had a couple of very strong owners and he was able to buy very well. He had guys behind him like Rich Ricci who were recession-proof so he went into the recession on a good note. He was buying horses when nobody else could. And it helps that he's also very good at his job."

Meade might not have the ammunition to give Mullins a fight for the trainers' title right now – and doubts he will have any time soon – but he's determined to keep his nose in front of those ganging up behind him to try and snatch second. He's never lost his hunger or the anxiety the game regularly inflicts upon him when the best-laid plans go amiss. "The jigsaw doesn't always fit," he says wistfully. "A piece always seems to be missing."

Take Ned Buntline. The McManus-owned gelding looked special when running away with a Naas bumper last month but got turned over on his hurdling bow at Fairyhouse three weeks ago when Meade rated him a certainty. He'll contest the opening maiden hurdle at Leopardstown on Wednesday now, another chance to confirm his trainer's considerable faith. Again Meade will be hopeful, but you can never believe you are ahead of the game.

He sees a week of hope rather than certainty. On Friday, Monksland will likely reoppose Zaidpour and Voler La Vedette in the Christmas Hurdle and has over two lengths to find on the Mullins horse from their running at Fairyhouse. No cast-iron reason to anticipate a turn-around but Monksland is still just five and Meade expects the longer three-mile trip to elicit some improvement. Whether it will be enough, he supposes, remains to be seen.

It pleases him too to see Pandorama back to fitness again after a long period on the sidelines. Meade has no great notions about his talented nine-year-old repeating his polished victory in the 2010 Lexus Chase – "as hot a renewal has we've had in years" – but he's happy to have a horse again after Pandorama returned home lame following the 2011 Gold Cup, a day Meade still harbours regrets about.

"I didn't want to run him but my hand was forced," he says. "His owner pushed me into it. I don't mind saying that. On the morning of the race I'd decided I wasn't running him. But the owner said I want to run him. I said it would be madness. We'd be breaking him up. But he wanted to run and that was it."

Pandorama has pleased him at home on the gallops and, although turning 10 now, has only raced 13 times and, given soft conditions, Meade figures there are big races left in him yet. Only he doubts Friday will be one of them. Even at his best, he thinks, Pandorama might struggle to cope with the likes of Flemenstar and Sir Des Champs. Not to mention Tidal Bay, a possible challenger from the powerful Paul Nicholls yard.

"It's a hot race if they all turn up," he says. "I like Sir Des Champs, he just wasn't as finished a product as Flemenstar the last day at Punchestown. But if Flemenstar stays three miles with the speed he shows over two, I don't think Sir Des Champs will beat him. Over three miles two furlongs it might be different but around Leopardstown it's hard to see it changing. If Tidal Bay travels, I'd be wary of him. He ran a terrific race off top weight in the Hennessy. I'll be trying to beat them all, but that's probably wishful thinking on my part. I'll keep wishing anyway."

He flashes a smile that tells a lot about Meade and the high regard in which he is held. For years he couldn't buy a Cheltenham winner and it became the longest-running saga in Irish racing, played out annually to a soundtrack of heartbreaking near misses and crushed dreams. He nailed it finally in 2000 when Sausalito Bay beat Best Mate to land the Supreme Novices Hurdle and now he dreams of finding the key to unlock a Champion Hurdle or Gold Cup winner.

For Meade, the numbers were never the thing that mattered. Back in 2003, he saddled Harbour Pilot in the Gold Cup and remembers a colleague advising him to go the three-mile handicap route instead for which, he was assured, the horse was pitched in. Meade had no interest, though. Two years running Harbour Pilot finished third behind Best Mate in the Gold Cup and, to Meade, that was far more satisfying than winning a lesser race. Maybe it's a sign of age, he smiles. He wants better now, not necessarily more.

So he steps into the yard at daybreak every morning, looks over the young horses and his pulse always quickens. One he likes is Road To Riches, a recent winner at Cork, a big, imposing type which will improve with age and be brought along quietly. He likes Sword Of Destiny too but suspects he'll need soft ground to show his best and Cheltenham in spring isn't usually a place for soft-ground types. There'll be other targets if so.

"The thing is you can analyse things over and over in your head," he says, "and you get nowhere. You only wake up at night worrying. But then you get into the yard and out on the gallops and everything becomes clearer. It's the happiest place to be."

Over 40 years at the coalface and that much has never changed.

- John O'Brien

Comment

Horse racing
      Noel Meade interview
      December 26th, 2012 by Robert Catterson

LEOPARDSTOWN’S four day Christmas extravaganza started in the best possible fashion for Noel Meade. First race of the four days and already a winner on the board. And with three more days on the agenda, the best could be still to come for the Meade team.

Later today, Meade will be triply represented in the Paddy Power Chase, a race he won 12 months ago with Cross Appeal. And he’s hopeful that one of his stars will allow him to become the only current trainer to win this contest on three different occasions.

“I’m hoping Cross Appeal will go close again. I gave him a break after the Munster National. He’s coming along nicely. Thegreatjohnbrowne is another I’ve got in the Paddy Power. He’s been ticking along nicely in the background,” reveals Meade.

With yesterday’s impressive winner Ned Buntline winning the festival’s opening maiden hurdle, it’s up to Ally Cascade to represent Meade in today’s Grade 1 Paddy Power Future Champions Novice Hurdle. And he will renew rivalry with Jezki in the two miles feature.

“Ally Cascade just got touched off by Jezki before he won at Thurles. The day in Naas, I thought we set it up for Jezki. Michael and Eddie O’Leary like their horses to be ridden handy and go for home early and that might have cost us. It looked as though we had Jezki beaten on a couple of occasions that day. He did the job well at Thurles after that, even though the runner-up probably jumped better than him. He’s a pretty decent horse,” adds Meade, who has won that particular Grade 1 contest twice in the past six renewals.

And should Meade land either of today’s big races, then that’s sure to be a bonus with his three stable stars still to run at Leopardstown later in the week. Pandorama, Monksland and Sword Of Destiny are the three named principals. And Meade is hopeful of big showings from all three.

“Pandorama hasn’t run since the 2011 Cheltenham Gold Cup and it was a race we shouldn’t really have run him in as the ground was too quick for him.” remarks Meade. “His owner wasn’t well at the time and he wasn’t sure he was going to have another shot at it so we let him take his chance. He came back a bit jarred after that so he missed all of last season but he’s back in full training now. You never know until they get to the track but hopefully, he’ll come back to as good as he was.

“The Lexus Chase is the race we’re looking at with him. There’s not much else he can run in other than Grade 1 races as he’s rated too high for handicaps. We’re taking it one day at a time but I’m very happy with what I’ve seen from him so far. He seems in very good form,” adds Meade on the 2010 Lexus Chase hero, who also won the 2009 Topaz Fort Leney Novice Chase.

“Monksland ran well in the Hatton’s Grace and he was coming home really well at the end of the race. He got tapped for toe between the last two flights but he ran on really well and he was still running on at the winning line. They didn’t go a great gallop in the race, which wouldn’t have suited him. If they went quicker, I think it would have suited him much better. On that, you’d have to think that he’d have no trouble going a bit further than two and a half miles and I think we’ll try him over three miles at Leopardstown over Christmas (Christmas Hurdle, Friday). That looks like the plan at the moment,” adds Meade on the promising five-year-old.

“I’d say we’re looking at the Topaz Fort Leney Novice Chase with Sword Of Destiny. With a lot of Gigginstown horses to consider, there’s nothing set in stone but I’d say the Grade 1 race over three miles is the plan. I’ve always thought the world of this fella. He does want soft ground. He jumps well, he stays well and yet he’s good enough to win over two miles. I think he’s a very decent horse.” says a beaming Meade of his grey, who may bid to follow in the hoofprints of Pandorama and Casey Jones in Friday’s race.

So one day gone and the Meade camp have already tasted success this Christmas. However, things may get better for the Noel Meade brigade this festive season.

Comment

NOEL Meade has nominated the County Hurdle as a possible target for Il Fenomeno following an encouraging run in defeat at Leopardstown over the weekend.

The seven-year-old ran with credit at the highest level in novice company last season but failed to make an impression on his first two outings of the current campaign.

However, fitted with blinkers for the first time, Il Fenomeno ran far better to finish fifth in Saturday's ultra-competitive Boylesports.com Hurdle and Meade feels the result may have been even better had he been ridden more patiently by Paul Carberry.

"He would probably have run better if he'd been held up, but we'll forget about it now and move on," said Meade.

"He'll go for another one of those handicaps. He's in the race in Newbury (Betfair Hurdle, February 9) but I don't think he'll go there as it might just come a bit too soon.

"He could possibly run in the County Hurdle, but we'll see."

Comment

Pandorama, winner of the 2010 Lexus Chase at Leopardstown, is being considered for a tilt at the Aintree Grand National in April.

Noel Meade's charge returned to action in the latest edition of the Leopardstown Grade One last month, his first outing since suffering a tendon injury when pulled up in the Cheltenham Gold Cup in 2011.

The 10-year-old failed to make any impact back at the Foxrock venue, but it subsequently emerged he had pulled muscles in his hindquarters and he holds an entry for the Hennessy Gold Cup back there in 10 days.

"He might run in the Hennessy, but, at the moment, I'd say it's unlikely as it might just come a bit too soon," Meade revealed of his four-time Grade One winner. "It's more likely that he'll run in the Bobbyjo Chase at Fairyhouse (Feb 23) and I've given him an entry in the National. Whether he'll run in that or not I don't know at the moment. We'll see how he gets on next time."

Meade issued an upbeat bulletin on Monksland, as low as 6/1 for World Hurdle glory at Cheltenham in March, though he was rueful that Paul Carberry didn't hold onto Il Fenonmeno for a more customary late run in Saturday's Boylesports.com.

"He would probably have run better if he'd been held up, but we'll forget about it now and move on," Meade said of the seven-year-old, which raced handily in first-time blinkers and led after the third-last before tiring into fifth in the heavy ground.

"He'll go for another one of those handicaps. He's in the race in Newbury (Betfair Hurdle, February 9), but I don't think he'll go there as it might just come a bit too soon. He could possibly run in the County Hurdle."

The Co Meath handler reported his promising novice hurdler Ned Buntline could run at Punchestown on Sunday, with Gordon Elliott's smart Don Cossack also among the 12 entries for the Grade Two novice hurdle there.

Comment

The County Meath handler reports the preparation for the stayers' championship to have gone well since the six-year-old won the Christmas Hurdle at Leopardstown at Christmas.

"Everything's okay with him and it's all gone to plan so far," said Meade.

"We'll have to cope with whatever the ground is.

"I'm more worried about getting there than the ground!"

Meade will have at least three other runners at jumps racing's premier fixture.

"I'm going to run Road To Riches in the Albert Bartlett, Busty Brown probably in the same race, and Il Fenomeno in the County Hurdle."

One of Meade's stable stars who will not be travelling across the Irish Sea next week is Texas Jack.

He will bypass the Jewson Novices' Chase and may wait for the Powers Gold Cup at Fairyhouse on March 31, although Meade has given him an entry at Naas on Sunday.

"He's staying at home. I think we will be going for the Powers Gold Cup. We did enter him on Sunday in a Grade Three race at Naas, but he probably wont run until the Powers Gold Cup," said Meade.

"I haven't made my mind up about it yet."

Comment

Noel Meade has confirmed star staying hurdler Monksland will remain over smaller obstacles for the foreseeable future.

The six-year-old confirmed himself a major contender for the Ladbrokes World Hurdle when making a winning debut over three miles at Leopardstown last Christmas, his fifth win from just seven starts under Rules.

However, he was forced to miss a trip to the Cheltenham Festival and the rest of the campaign through injury.

Meade said: "Monksland is in great shape and did well over the summer. I'm delighted with him.

"I think we'll stick down the staying hurdle route with him and see how far he can go."

Monksland spearheads what Meade believes is a strong team for the upcoming campaign, with veteran staying chaser Pandorama joined by a host of younger horses.

Meade said: "All the horses are back in now and I always say I like this time of year as they are going so slowly, nothing really goes wrong. In another month we'll start to step things up.

"Pandorama is back and in good form. He pulled a ligament on his last run but he's fine now and I'm looking forward to seeing him run again.

"We've a few nice novices coming through as well, horses like Ned Buntline and Mullaghanoe River. We've a few to look forward to, hopefully."

Comment

Ally Cascade Pedigree: Five-year-old gelding Golan (sire) - Nikkis Alstar (dam) Owner: Gigginstown House Stud Form: 3/12154- Racing Post Rating: 132h, Official rating: 134h After winning his bumper well he was only touched off by Jezki and we all know what he went on to do. He went and won his maiden hurdle after that but for some reason he lost his form completely afterwards. We’re going to keep him over hurdles. He has loads of ability and will run in about two weeks’ time. I hope he’ll be worth waiting for.
                Ange Balafre 4g Ange Gabriel - Balafre Rose High Spirits Racing Club 24-51 RPR 108b A nice horse who won his bumper well at Roscommon. He ran well on his debut and I should never have run him at Sligo on bad ground as he was over the top. We’ll go over hurdles with him now and he should do well at that game.
                Apache Stronghold 5g Milan - First Battle Mrs Patricia Hunt 133- RPR 124b This fella is an exciting horse. He was third in the Champion Bumper at Punchestown and he’ll go novice hurdling this season. He’s sharp and jumps brilliantly from what we have seen so far. We hope to be going to the big meetings with him and he’ll get 2m4f too. He might not be in love with heavy ground. We took him out of Fairyhouse on Saturday as I just felt the ground was too quick for him. He’s ready to rock and roll once we get a small bit of cut.
                Bose Ikard 5g Brian Boru - Dolldyedee Robert Watson & Edward J Conroy 30-41 RPR 118h, OR 111h He wasn’t in love with the track when he won his maiden hurdle at Downptarick last time but he stayed on well and won well enough in the end. He will get 3m and should make a nice chaser in time. He is very ground dependent though and needs it good, so we’ll probably rest him through the winter.
                Busty Brown 7g Mr Combustible - Misty Brown Sean J Murphy 2/13312- RPR 140h, OR 139h He did really well for us last season and we’ll probably send him over fences now. He stays really well and handles heavy ground which is good. I would say we’ll have him out this side of Christmas.
                Corbally Ghost 6g Central Park - Classic Lin Mrs M Cahill 9111/ RPR 133h, OR 130h We had a terrible time with him last year. Any time we managed to get him ready to run, something happened. Paul [Carberry] thought he wasn’t getting high enough at his fences so he brought him over to his place and he rapped his knee there. He’ll be seen out soon and he’ll head over fences. He has a lot of ability and we’re looking forward to getting him back on track.
                Cross Appeal 7g Cape Cross - Hadeb John Corr 4PP0PP- RPR 138c, OR 128c He gave us a great day when he won the Paddy Power at Leopardstown in 2011. We trained him for the Galway Plate last year and he was fourth in it but we decided not to do that this time around so we gave him a complete break. He’s been jumping fences since he was five. We’ll probably go for the Troytown at Navan with him in November and then back for another crack at the Paddy Power. Hopefully there is another big handicap in him.
                Curley Bill 5g Heron Island - In Excelsis Philip J Reynolds 126-115 RPR 142h He’s done well this summer and won a nice €100,000 handicap on the Flat at Galway. He’s a sharp sort but is ground dependent and doesn’t want bad ground so we’ll put him away for the winter and come back in the spring. He’s a horse I like.
                Dylan Ross 7g Shantou - Quit The Noise No Rush Man Syndicate 4P42-23 RPR 145c, 145h, OR 136c, 137h We thought the world of him once upon a time and on his day he is a very good horse. He has just been disappointing and seemed to get bogged down on soft ground last season. He started off well enough over fences but his form deteriorated as the season wore on. Hopefully we’ll be able to turn him around.
                Fisher Bridge 10g Singspiel - Kristal Bridge Robert Watson 1/0P-424 RPR 145c, 140h, OR 126h, 118c I thought young Colin Keane had gone mad at Down Royal when he won the Ulster Cesarewitch but he was right and I was wrong and he held on to win. He’s quite an accomplished chaser but just doesn’t want soft ground.
                Harvey Logan 4g Saffron Walden - Baie Barbara JP McManus 2S- RPR 113b We thought he’d win on his debut at Limerick and when he was beaten I thought so much of him that I rang JP [McManus] and told him who he needed to buy the horse that beat him [Waxies Dargle]. We thought he might win the Land Rover at Punchestown but he clipped heels and came down. He goes really well and is a horse that I like a lot.
                Heck Thomas 5g Oscar - Good Heighway JP McManus 12- RPR 116h He won his bumper well at Punchestown and then was second to Just A Par in a maiden hurdle there. JP bought him in the sales but we got held up with him in the spring. He wants soft ground.
                Il Fenomeno 7g Denon - Fabulous Charm Gigginstown House Stud 017-430 RPR 145h, OR 135h He won a good handicap hurdle at Punchestown but is just a bit in and out. We gave him some time off after Galway and he’s not long back in. We will try him over fences again and see how he gets on. He should win more races.
                Ipsos Du Berlais 7g Poliglote - Isis Du Berlais Gigginstown House Stud P4P/2P4- RPR 147h, 134c, OR 138h I suppose you could say he’s been a bit disappointing as he has some snippets of very good form. He ran well behind Lyreen L egend in a beginners’ chase at Galway but then got a stress crack before Christmas. At least he hasn’t won over fences so he retains his novice status. He wants soft ground.
                Maxim Gorky 6g Montjeu - Altruiste Gigginstown House Stud /F122-70 RPR 132h ,OR 123h I think there could be a big handicap in this fella and I could see him running well in the Boylesports Hurdle at Leopardstown after Christmas or something like that. At Listowel Davy [Russell] said he would have won had he not made a bad mistake at the second-last. He seemed to be going well at the time anyway He wasn’t beaten far in the Irish Cesarewitch on Sunday.

Comment

Muirhead 10g Flemensfirth - Silaoce Mrs P Sloan 64-4430 RPR 161h, 157c, OR 135h, 147c I was obviously disappointed with him in the Munster National on Sunday. I thought he’d go well and ground he liked but he was never travelling of jumping the way I would have liked. He just ran Flat. It was as simple as that and Davy was never happy. We’ll give him one more run before he has a break and that will probably be in the Troytown at Navan in November.
                  Mullaghanoe River 5g Beneficial - Wahiba Hall Mrs Patricia Hunt B/12151- RPR 130h, OR 135h We are excited about him going chasing. He won a bumper and a maiden hurdle for us last season. He won a point for Willie Codd so you’d like to think he could develop into a nice chaser. He’s only five so I hope he has a big future ahead. He stays very well and we like him a lot. He’s not too far off a run so you’ll be seeing him soon.
                  Ned Buntline 5g Refuse To Bend - Intrum Morshaan JP McManus 2-1213 RPR 138h, OR 138h He’s exciting. He was narrowly beaten by Jezki in his bumper form has worked out well.I've spoken to JP and hes keen to go chasing with him straight away, so thats what we'll do, he's schooled well.

Comment

Trainer Noel Meade is now looking forward to seeing Apache Stronghold test his powers at Grade One level.

He said: "There's not a bother on him after the last day and I would imagine he'll go back to Navan in a couple of weeks.

"We always liked him and we were hoping he'd win last week, but you couldn't have expected him to win like that.

"It was a surprise to see him do it so well, but definitely a nice surprise."

Comment

Working...
                    X