Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Arkle 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In respect of finding likely runners - Has anything been said on what the plan is with Ballyandy going forward?

Didn't quite live up to expectations last year after winning the Champion Bumper in 2016 but still managed to win a Betfair Hurdle and come 4th in the Supreme, a race where I had completely forgotten he went off joint 3/1 fav! Watching the race back again he looked to get outpaced and was losing ground at almost every hurdle BUT despite all that and being hampered several times early on he did well to finish 4th.

He does look like he has the scope for fences so it might be what he needs. I can't see him making ANY impression in open company over hurdles and with the likes of Buveur D'Air and Defi de Seuil ready to mop up most of the English trial races it's not like NTD can do a 'New One' and mop of the grade 2/3 CH trials through the season.

If he does go chasing then I can only see the Arkle or the JLT as options.

Comment

Ballandy is going chasing

Comment

Cheers billy. He's by no means a fancy at this stage but i'm interested to see how he gets on

Comment

These are the ones i know about from our Million in Mind Stable visit at the start of August Alan King

DUSKY LEGEND going Nov Chasing
          YANWORTH Chasing 2m4 - 3m hadn’t schooled yet
          MIDNIGHT TOUR hurdling but will have to step up into graded
          Dark horse POTTERMAN who won a Hunt bumper end of May

Paul Nicholls
          FRODON ( could be one for Down Royal)
          VICENTE will run through the winter on ground he hates then hopefully gets good ground for the Scottish National

These are all going nov chasing, DREAM CATCHING, MOVEWITHTHETIMES, MODUS

Dark horses DENSFIRTH 4 year old unrated + GRAND SANCY (i can’t find him on RP database so could of spelt wrong or misheard the name)

Nigel
          BLACKLION - National again, traditional route probably Beechers first
          BALLYANDY - Novice Chasing
          WHOLESTONE + BALLYOPTIC may go chasing but a little concerned about thier jumping so may stay over hurdles

He hopes THE NEW ONE can get to £1 million in prize money and will try and win races with him, he accepts the horse isn’t quite what he used to be.

Warren
          THE NIPPER + LE BAGUE AU ROI nov chasing
          WESTERN RYDER he felt was very unlucky at Aintree and is going Nov hurd and he expects him to be contesting the best Nov races come the end of the season
          PETICOTE TAILS nov hurdling
          Dark horse THE BUTCHER SAID bumper then, nov hurdling, he was excited by him.

Oliver
          PUFFIN BILLY will try him again over fences needs to go RH on Soft
          THE ORGANIST hopes she is back in October back over hurdles but needs to talk to connections before a decision can be made. With a full season over hurdles I would be tempted to back her for the mares race if i could get 50/1 when she’s priced up.
          Dark horse JERSEY BEAN

NICKY
          All the big three done great over the summer, he reports that MIGHT BITE may go for the £1m bonus
          ALTIOR all roads will hopefully lead to The Champ Chase, he thinks he is quick enough to win at listed class on the flat. He is hoping that he doesn’t meet Douvan till Chelt, interestingly he said he has a feeling that they might step Douvan up, which grabbed my attention.
          BUVEUR D will stay hurdling as will MTOY who he thinks should take on THE NEW ONE in a special veterans race!
          LAMI SERGE needs to go left handed and will go down the 3 mile hurdling route. 20/1 for the stayers hurdle isn’t too far off a backable price for me, in fact I’ve taken a small bit of 23/1 that was available on the exchanges, but i accept the risks that go with backing this horse!
          TOP NOTCH might be campaigned more in France this season.
          Nicky mentioned all these for Novice Chasing RIVER WYLDE, LOUGH DERG SPIRIT, LOUGH DERG FARMER, CONSTANTINE BAY and FIX LE KAP.
          When asked about JERKINS he spoke about the horse not enjoying jumping and his disappointment of how last year went coz he was one of the best bumper horses he has trained. He said they had tinkered with his wind and “a few other things” but needs to come back to form.
          CLAIMANTAKINFORGAN and he goes nov hurdling.
          The one thing i took out of Nickys info was out of all his Novice Chasers for next year he seemed most keen on FIX LE KAP, better on soft ground but he was the one that he gave a special mention to and will be aimed 2m 4f - 3m

Comment

Phenomenal insight that Billy, very much appreciated and hats off for sharing

Comment

No problems, dont blame me when its all a load of tosh though!!! It did come from their mouths though!

Comment

PP have "Grand Sancy" priced up at 20's for the Triumph

Comment

Originally posted by billymag View Post
                  No problems, dont blame me when its all a load of tosh though!!! It did come from their mouths though!
                  Good man. Shoot the messanger haha

I'm really excited about Lough Derg Spirit. He disappointed I the end didn't he but the way he took a hurdle, if he can translate that to a fence he might be gaining lengths at each fence ... wish would be a bonus in this race!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                    Good man. Shoot the messanger haha

I'm really excited about Lough Derg Spirit. He disappointed I the end didn't he but the way he took a hurdle, if he can translate that to a fence he might be gaining lengths at each fence ... wish would be a bonus in this race!
                    I still really like Lough Derg Spirit. I can see him being a cliff horse for me already and like you say he showed superb jumping at times last year. A word of caution though...

At Hendersons Open Day last Easter I asked Nick Dr Boinville if there was anything wrong at Aintree after pulling up when well beat and he said along the lines of

He was never right BUT don't expect to see him go left handed again anytime soon
                    So if be very cautious on backing him for Cheltenham. I don't have it to hand but I'm also pretty sure Jeremiah McGrath says he needs a right handed track as well in Paul Ferguson's book (though the horse is still in his to follow list)

I imagine the likes of Sandown and especially Kempton will be where we see him over fences

Comment

Hadn't picked up on that but worth knowing! Maybe be a distortion horse by the end of the season!

Comment

Originally posted by jono View Post
                        Phenomenal insight that Billy, very much appreciated and hats off for sharing
                        I couldn't put it any better than that , agreed , Thanks billy.

Comment

Thanks for putting that up Billy. Much appreciated

Comment

Top insight billy, thanks very much

Comment

Thanks Billy.

Keep the info coming.

Comment

I'm off work for a few weeks so I've decided to watch the 2017 festival back again.

Wrt Ballyandy - I had forgotten what a horrible time of it he had in the Supreme. He made a slight mistake at the 2nd and badly lost his position as a result; then not long afterwards he clipped heels and nearly came down. He still managed to finish 4th, closing on River Wylde up the hill.

He is of interest to me, especially as Billy had been told he goes novice chasing.
                                Last edited by Faugheen_Machine; 5 September 2017, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X