Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Arkle 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by finch View Post
    Thanks Samcro I see that now.

No Movewiththetimes in the field so I presume DDC an intended runner, obviously keen to get plenty of experience in while the surface is in favour, doesn't strike me as the type they want to be running on deep ground mid-winter!
    Jumped well too, be one to watch out for. Had a repuation of being a better chaser (cliche they say about almost every horse mind!) but that he was always better than a handicapper... so fingers crossed for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
      I've been searching my betting accounts for my bet on Finians Oscar but can't find it. I was sure I took 16/1 last month. Anyway, I've backed him again at 16/1 this morning and hope that the other bet turns up somewhere.

The bookies have a tendency to cut the high profile horses before their first run of the season so I predict that the 16/1 will have disappeared before Saturday lunchtime.
      Found my other bet. Now have 3pts win at 16/1.

Comment

• Joe Tizzard on Finian's Oscar today:

The sky is the limit. He schools very well at home. He's obviously run in a point to point...he's summered well and we're looking forward to running him Saturday...I don't think we need to this year (tackle 3 miles) Dad still thinks he's quick enough for 2 miles. We're starting over 2 mile 3 this weekend but that's because the race is right for him...he's able to travel, he doesn't need to be running over 3 miles at this stage of his career, we can step him up as we move along so i'd very very surprised if you saw him in the RSA at the festival, he'll either be in the Arkle or JLT...not just Cue Card you look at Kauto Star, these top class horses have got the pace to run at those shorter trips and you don't have to step them up until it's necessary really
        The #racehour podcast, in association with Gambling.com - www.begambleaware.org

Comment

• Does anyone listen to the RaceHour podcast? I tried to listen to it a couple of times last season but found the sound quality to be fairly poor. Just wondered if it had improved at all?

Comment

Does anyone listen to the RaceHour podcast? I tried to listen to it a couple of times last season but found the sound quality to be fairly poor. Just wondered if it had improved at all?
            I do but agree on the sound issue. I think it has got a little better (i didnt notice any issues this episode) but the volume and quality do still differ between speakers. The quality of guests have improved so I'm hoping production has gone up

Comment

• The comment about Cue Card and Kauto Star going for the Arkle, "Dad" and Potts both favouring the Arkle.... I think they're just keeping their options open with the JLT as it probably is a more suitable race, but it'll look tougher on paper and unless FO gets beaten I have no doubt this will be where we see him!

Comment

• I wouldn't be invoking Kauto Star as a role model for this. Never ran in the Arkle and fell in the Champion Chase.

Comment

• Originally posted by archie View Post
                  I wouldn't be invoking Kauto Star as a role model for this. Never ran in the Arkle and fell in the Champion Chase.
                  I think they're referring to his star quality and ability rather than being literal

I wanted to ask you about Bunk Off Early, do you know if he's going chasing?

Comment

• I think that Kauto is a good example of class not always being able to overcome the problems set by jumping at 2 mile pace. Let's not forget that he missed the Arkle because of a fall (and remount) at Exeter.

Bunk Off Early came back in later than the others as he was given extra time to recover from his colic operation. He looked on good terms with himself 2 weeks ago but they say he won't be back on track until around Christmas. There was talk about sending him chasing but he's only 5 and he was almost on a par with Melon before his problems so he'll almost certainly come back over hurdles, possibly in a handicap because the only other option seems to be a G1.

Comment

• Have gone in on Petit Mouchoir BUT any Race - just in case they go up in trip.
                      Was 14's for the Arkle or 12's any race (and managed to daily price boost to 13's)

Still can't get the "2 years over hurdles" thing - BUT is well-priced.
                      Worth a dabble on the off-chance that hurdles form translates to chasing

Comment

• Originally posted by finch View Post
                        Going back a few weeks now but hard not to be impressed by Diego Du Charmil at Newton Abbot on his chasing debut.

I understand it was only a match against a stablemate and getting weight from an inferior rival but DDC jumped really well and seemed to enjoy the new game.

Rated 149 going into Cheltenham 2017 where he disappointed in the County DDC is only rated 1 pound below Finian's Oscar over hurdles so defo has the class.

Loves spring ground, previous festival winner and likely to be even better over fences than hurdles I think this is worth the investment at 33/1 each way
                        Decent front running performance that from Shantou Rock, jumped well. Quotes of 25-1.

DDC never looked comfortable I thought.

Comment

• Originally posted by Innoko View Post
                          Decent front running performance that from Shantou Rock, jumped well. Quotes of 25-1.

DDC never looked comfortable I thought.
                          Betfair have gone 66/1 about DDC ... might be a bit on an over reaction?

Comment

• 66/1 seems to be a huge overreaction for me.

Comment

• If I gave Death Duty 4/10, I'd have to give FO 3/10.

I'd be worried about 2 miles for him after that, in fact, 3 miles might be his trip already. Of course, I could be over reacting

Comment

If I gave Death Duty 4/10, I'd have to give FO 3/10.

I'd be worried about 2 miles for him after that, in fact, 3 miles might be his trip already. Of course, I could be over reacting
                                Again, could be an over reaction, but I thought he looked like he needed a trip. Certainly not a 2 miler..

Comment

Working...
                                X