Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham Gold Cup 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ground would concern me if I was backing American to win the Gold Cup. Harry Fry wouldn't risk him on spring ground so you need to factor that into the price.

If it did turn up soft, i think he'd be a key player.

Comment

• Off to Paddy Power to get some of that 12/1 for Thistlecrack,its too big

Comment

• Originally posted by somer1 View Post
        Off to Paddy Power to get some of that 12/1 for Thistlecrack,its too big
        I would have been all over that before yesterday. So it could look shrewd in a few months time. I can't get that run out of my head personally, he travelled like he always did then just found nothing. Whether that was the better opposition, he wasn't fit. Or he's really good but just not quite as special as I personally thought. I don't know.
        https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
        Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

• I think you'll end up getting a run for your money in the Stayers Scooby. If he bombs out in the KG, they'll go back to hurdles imo

There is also the possibility that his tendon injury will stop him reaching the levels he was running to over the last couple of years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
            I would have been all over that before yesterday. So it could look shrewd in a few months time. I can't get that run out of my head personally, he travelled like he always did then just found nothing. Whether that was the better opposition, he wasn't fit. Or he's really good but just not quite as special as I personally thought. I don't know.
            i must admit looked so comfortable, but then just blew up! Maybe just needed run, not sure, wasn't good which ever way you look at at. 12/1 is a big price but yesterday will put so many punters off in my opinion.

Comment

• That one hurt I'm not going to lie. Although it was disappointing, it wasn't a total surprise to see Coneygree fade so quickly, but that was an abysmal showing by American, and I wonder will anything come to light in the next few days. Maybe just not at the level I want him to be.

Not convinced the winner is Gold Cup quality, but I paid the price for doubting Mullins today so I won't be so quick to write him off. Beating Whisper by a neck in receipt of weight would indicate he has a lot to make up on the likes of Might Bite however.

Comment

• Coneygree apparently choked during the race, according to connections. Seems like one more in a long line of excuses, but he did look like he was really enjoying himself out there until a point. Still capable of winning races I'm sure, just maybe not off top weight in a Hennessy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Montjeu View Post
                  Coneygree apparently choked during the race, according to connections. Seems like one more in a long line of excuses, but he did look like he was really enjoying himself out there until a point. Still capable of winning races I'm sure, just maybe not off top weight in a Hennessy.
                  here here Montjeu. They should retire the horse Imo. They've had some incredible highs with the horse, and lows, but he's gone now.
                  Singlefarmpayment ran like a future Grand National winner to me.
                  Last edited by doctorwu; 2 December 2017, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by doctorwu View Post
                    here here Montjeu. They should retire the horse Imo. They've had some incredible highs with the horse, and lows, but he's gone now.
                    Understandable that they are so loathe to give up the dream though, with nothing else even close to his level in their yard. Once he's really gone it will be back to relative obscurity for them, tough decision to make but the horse is clearly a shell of his former self.

Comment

• Originally posted by doctorwu View Post
                      Ran like the Ultima winner to me this season. I think he'll run in that again and I think he'll be carrying my money

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                        Ran like the Ultima winner to me this season. I think he'll run in that again and I think he'll be carrying my money
                        You could be right Kev. I'll be on him again if thats the destination. The Ladbroke seems to be a decent National trial now. Single just had that look about him. He was run off his feet early doors but was making significant headway late on. Went for a big one and the rest is history.

Comment

• Does Whispers second (running off 161) in the Ladbroke put him in the Gold Cup picture? He only went down by a tiny margin to a thrown in Total Recall, was carrying 11-8 and was 9 lengths clear of the third.

Native River entered the Gold Cup picture last year after winning the same race by half a length but off a lower mark of 155 and only carrying 11-1.

Was yesterday's renewal a poorer race? Or could Whisper find himself improving into contention for a place in the big one come March?

Depending in how you rate Whispers run, Might Bites form needs to be factored too.

Comment

• Singlefarmpayment is 50/1 for the national (1pt win for me) He was running the perfect national trial yesterday before falling at the 3rd last.

Comment

• SFP was the one I took from that race too FM, could have gone very close yesterday.

Whisper is definitely in the Gold Cup picture JM, if the rain stays away for the Friday and he gets his good ground he could go there with a live chance. He's run several good races now on ground that isn't ideal so if it all falls for him he could be very good...

Comment

• Whisper gave Might Bite an almighty compliment here , always runs well at Cheltenham does Whisper.

Comment

Working...
                                X