Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham Gold Cup 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jono View Post
    Thanks for that CoD. I don't tend to look into the breeding side of horses myself but you can only take positives out of that Is breeding a side you often look at?
    I do for certain races Jono yeah. I don't take them as a definite rule but I think it's always good to look into, and with something as difficult as the Gold Cup I feel it may help make my decision too.

Comment

Originally posted by The Beast View Post
      Pretty sure it wasnt a strong gallop FM
      I'm not sure of the sectionals but Native River and Champagne West were the two prominent runners and neither of them like to hang about. It probably wasn't a break neck pace but I'd say it was decent enough. Also, the way Minella Rocco flew home makes me think some horses were tiring too.

Comment

Originally posted by JackieMoon33 View Post
        I'm not sure of the sectionals but Native River and Champagne West were the two prominent runners and neither of them like to hang about. It probably wasn't a break neck pace but I'd say it was decent enough. Also, the way Minella Rocco flew home makes me think some horses were tiring too.
        That's what I thought but I'm going to go back and watch the race again at some point. As a rule, I discount horses who have tried and failed in the Gold Cup but a slowly run race would make me rethink this approach this year.

Comment

Decent early sighting of some possible GC hopefuls on Thursday

Disko, Outlander, Carlingford Lough, Minella rocco

Come GC day I'll be able to convince myself on any of them although CL is now 11

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane fly View Post
            Decent early sighting of some possible GC hopefuls on Thursday

Disko, Outlander, Carlingford Lough, Minella rocco

Come GC day I'll be able to convince myself on any of them although CL is now 11
            Yes intriguing little race , Rocco should win with this weight allowance but Jonjo horses tend to be slow burners , as in dont usually come to the fore till March. With that in mind shouldn't surprise me he gets stuffed tomorrow and his price on betfair get very big.

Road to Respect on the other hand i expect to be a big improver tomorrow and hopefully his gold cup price gets slashed as Im on at sexy odds to pennies lol

Comment

Posted this in the antepost thread but will put it here aswell...

Just had a very brief chat with Jonjo O'Neill jnr at Nottingham. Theyd be disappointed if Minella Rocco didnt get very close to winning tomorrow and it didnt need confirming but gold cup the aim again

Comment

Triple Crown "dream" not dead for anyone on at 50s...

Hendo:

Might Bite

He was in the process of clocking a time about five or six second faster than what Thistlecrack took to win the King George and proved himself to be an outstanding novice with victories in the RSA and the Mildmay. I think the King George will be his prime objective in the first half of the season and he might be ready to go for the Betfair Chase beforehand.

***edit, just hoping actually this is latest news....ATR stable tour, I hadn't seen before today?
                Last edited by Kevloaf; 18 October 2017, 07:41 PM. Reason: Is this news?

Comment

Im really looking forward to seeing how Acapella Bourgeois gets on in the hands of Willie Mullins. I'd like to think WM will have a real Gold Cup challenger if, as I believe, he'll improve this horse out of all recognition. Oddschecker state that they've taken more bets than any other horse for the Gold Cup. Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorwu View Post
                    Im really looking forward to seeing how Acapella Bourgeois gets on in the hands of Willie Mullins. I'd like to think WM will have a real Gold Cup challenger if, as I believe, he'll improve this horse out of all recognition. Oddschecker state that they've taken more bets than any other horse for the Gold Cup. Interesting.

I do see the point completely l, with sub lieutenant last year and total recall this year improving beyond all recognition, but the gold cup is a whole different thing, you cant make use of a handicap Mark, and unless it's soft to heavy, I could personally see him being tailed off
                    If anyone took a Chance at 50s good luck to you, but at current odds I'd be very surprised if there's any value in his price
                    https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
                    Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

The forgotten horse in this race is Coney Island. He had to miss Cheltenham but had some great Novice form last season and was only half a length second to Our Duke in a hot novice race including Disko in third. Given what Our Duke has gone on to do and the fact Coney Island is so lightly raced and potentially open to vast improvement, at the odds he looks good value.

Comment

The forgotten horse in this race is Coney Island. He had to miss Cheltenham but had some great Novice form last season and was only half a length second to Our Duke in a hot novice race including Disko in third. Given what Our Duke has gone on to do and the fact Coney Island is so lightly raced and potentially open to vast improvement, at the odds he looks good value.
                        Not sure he'd want 3m2 but hes a nice horse, disko and our duke the stronger stayers
                        https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
                        Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
                          I do see the point completely l, with sub lieutenant last year and total recall this year improving beyond all recognition, but the gold cup is a whole different thing, you cant make use of a handicap Mark, and unless it's soft to heavy, I could personally see him being tailed off
                          If anyone took a Chance at 50s good luck to you, but at current odds I'd be very surprised if there's any value in his price
                          Thats a fair point Scooby. I just think Sandra Hughes was a poor trainer, and didn't get the best out of the horse. This horse may surprise a few people this year Imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
                            Not sure he'd want 3m2 but hes a nice horse, disko and our duke the stronger stayers
                            Sired by Flemensfirth out of a Milan mare, I'd give him a chance of staying given he was running over 3m in his Novice Hurdle season too.

Comment

Sired by Flemensfirth out of a Milan mare, I'd give him a chance of staying given he was running over 3m in his Novice Hurdle season too.
                              I have Coney Island on the radar because of Our Duke...

I am struggling to remember whether they were leaning towards JLT or RSA with him last year before getting injured?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                                I have Coney Island on the radar because of Our Duke...

I am struggling to remember whether they were leaning towards JLT or RSA with him last year before getting injured?
                                They never actually committed before he got injured so it would be guesswork. The trainer always said from an early stage he thought he'd be a future Gold Cup horse though

Comment

Working...
                                X