Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham Gold Cup 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Vic View Post
    Thistlecrack, Douvan, and Might Bite on 26th December would be nice to see !
    Personally I'd like Douvan to run at Leopardstown and Thistlecrack to have a minor setback that sees him off until Trials Day.
    Complete pocket talk of course.

Good to see you back OV

Comment

I'd back American in anything it runs in pre February.

Would need NRNB and a rain forecast for the gold cup.

I was taken with Coneygrees comeback run, without the peck on landing 2 out(I think it was) he would have been right there, fingers crossed on a healthy season for all.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane fly View Post
        I'd back American in anything it runs in pre February.

Would need NRNB and a rain forecast for the gold cup.

I was taken with Coneygrees comeback run, without the peck on landing 2 out(I think it was) he would have been right there, fingers crossed on a healthy season for all.
        Very difficult to part with cash on Coneygree but I also think it was a brilliant comeback!

I am foolish enough to have 0.5 pts each way at 50s

Comment

Ruby Walsh's article in the RUK club magazine today:

Chasing Glory
          There are 10 or sochasers in line for the Cheltenham Gold Cup crown this season, which shows how open the division is. There isn't a stand-out at this stage, and I would be surprised if one emerges, given the high quality talent spread across Ireland and the UK.

So the season could play out with CGC winner Sizing John making a winning reappearance in the Betfair Chase in November. If that does happen, then connections will want to aim for the King George - the second leg of the Jockey Club 's Triple Crown £1m bonus.

At Kempton he would, in all liklihood, meet the 2016 KG winner Thistlecrack and Might Bite, who should have won on the same card but for falling at the last. Add the 2016 GC winner Coneygree to the race and it looks like being a classic.

Sizing John's trainer JEssica Harrington is also responsible for the Irish Grand National winner, Our Duke, who will no doubt be kept away from his stablemate and looks the real deal.

God willing, Djakadam will line up in March and try and emulate The Fellow, who was second twice and fourth before winning the Gold CUp at his fourth attempt, while Yorkhill will also be in the shake-up for top honours and always performs at Cheltenham.

Of course, it's not all about Cheltenham.

Arguably the race of last season was the Punchestown Gold Cup, in which Sizing John got the better of Djakadam and Coneygree in a thriller. WE should see plenty more of those type of races and finishes."

Comment

I also like the look of Disko.

Currently has an OR of 158, a 6 - 8lb improvement should put into a competitive position for the 3m chases.

Hopefully leading to a crack at the gold cup.

Comment

It would be foolish to dismiss Disko on how closely his form tied in with Our Duke last season.

Even if you say the trip benefitted Disko when he beat Our Duke in the Flogas, the race in December over 3 miles had only 1 length between 1st and 3rd. Now Our Duke had clearly gone up another level at Fairyhouse but he's not as far off as the prices would suggest

Comment

I hate the stat around horses trying to win the race having failed to before but I really think with a clear prep Minella Rocco is a huge runner...

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                  I hate the stat around horses trying to win the race having failed to before but I really think with a clear prep Minella Rocco is a huge runner...
                  Nah he's a lock for the National (I hope!)

Comment

Originally posted by Vautour View Post
                    Nah he's a lock for the National (I hope!)
                    Extra week this year so I'm sure he'll go gold cup regardless

Comment

If you fancy Might Bite 10/1 you must say Whisper should be within couple lengths of MB on RSA running. You can seriously get silly odds around Whisper on betfair for Gold Cup glory.
                      Davy Russell will ride ,certainly as a long priced pick Whisper ticks a few boxes. Heaven forbid Russell wins after his misdemeanour earlier lol ,that would be some story.

Comment

Originally posted by The Beast View Post
                        If you fancy Might Bite 10/1 you must say Whisper should be within couple lengths of MB on RSA running. You can seriously get silly odds around Whisper on betfair for Gold Cup glory.
                        Davy Russell will ride ,certainly as a long priced pick Whisper ticks a few boxes. Heaven forbid Russell wins after his misdemeanour earlier lol ,that would be some story.
                        I wouldn't say he should be within 10L on the RSA running?! If MB wasn't trying to lose, he'd have put more between himself and Whisper than Whisper put back to Bellshill?... HOWEVER, the Aintree form shows Whisper getting a lot closer. I do still think though that Might Bite was idling a little in front and was well in front at the line. Won a little snuggly - i think NdB likes to make sure, so it doesn't look as stylish as it could, but thats not a problem.

I give Might Bite a HUGE chance in the Gold Cup at this stage, BUT, the price doesn't factor in the fact he CANNOT be trusted at all up the hill - and with all due respect to Whisper, horses like Sizing John, MR, Djakadam would punish any similar antics this time around... not to mention if we get Thistlecrack, Our Duke or one of the Mullins 'big two'?

Best price is 33/1 about a horse who looks absolutely held on all known form to the 4th favourite doesn't strike me as massive value at this stage? 7.25/1 to place isn't odds I'd want at the moment anyway... admirable as he is? I feel like SO many things would have to align for Whisper to get anywhere near winning the race.
                        Last edited by Kevloaf; 22 September 2017, 09:34 PM.

Comment

What is going on with Valseur Lido?

Comment

Whisper a lot bigger on Betfair if you play the markets.

Comment

Ruby on RUK today... Q&A session:

"What is going to win the Gold Cup"

"I'd love to think I will. Djakadam, Yorkhill, Acapella Bourgois - I don't mind as long as I'm on it"

Then again, the question after he did say he honestly doesn't know what the plan for Yorkhill is!

Comment

This is coming today too, movey for it.... ground dependant surely?! Acapella Bourgois.... switched to Mullins.... Ruby mentions him...

Comment

Working...
                                X