Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Istabraq View Post
    ...I assume that you don't consider Minella Rocco a challenger at all ?
    On decent ground I think he's a leading runner....
    On first glance over Minella Roccos form he doesn't look the most straight forward with form figures of the below over fences:

3-PU-6-2-1-3-F-U-2

So very much hit and miss, and he's never actually struck me as a natural jumper of a fence. However looking closer and watching back his runs I think the key to the horse is a large field where by he has plenty of cover.

His form with 7 or fewer runners:
    3-PU-6-2F-U

His form with 8+ runners:
    1-3-2

I just think he needs to be eased into his races slowly and the larger field sizes allow that. When there's few horses around him I think his jumping suffers. The good thing of course is your almost guaranteed a large field size in the Gold Cup. So his "iffy" record can be upgraded in the context of this race imo and then he starts to look a much more reliable and solid proposition. I remember seeing him up close at the Open meeting last year and he's an absolute tank of a horse. Looks ideal for the national and I do think that's the number 1 goal for the horse's career but with there being 4 weeks between festivals again this year I can see him being aimed at both no problem. A win and a Gold Cup second in 2 festival races is very hard to knock.

That said I do agree with Kev in that I see this year being a level above last years race alongside the fact beaten horses have to have very strong claims for me to think they can go better next time - year after year backs this up. I know it's often said at the start of the new season and often doesn't play out whether injuries take their toll or the potential doesn't quite fulfil but the likes of Might Bite, Yorkhill, Our Duke, Thistlecrack and Douvan could just be a level above. Add Sizing John who already has the beating of the horse and there being glaring reason why Minella Rocco should improve past him, with them both being 7 and open to improvement.

For me he's also linked extremely closely with Native River with just 1.25 and 0.5 lengths splitting the pair in their 2 festival runs .Native River's run can be marked up slightly with the Tizzard yard being out of form during the festival but I find it hard to imagine Native River winning the race next year so it's hard for me to imagine MR winning either. (Could very well be another close finish between the pair at Aintree in April though)

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he filled the places again come March - he could very well be another Giant Bolster/Djakadam type who fills the frame several years running but I can see one if not a few of those horses just mentioned being better. I'd myself want slightly bigger odds right now than the 16/1 but he looks to hold a solid each way chance for sure.

Excellent , and Informative thread here , thanks and well done , my top 5 for the gold cup currently.,
    1. Might bite
    2. Our duke
    3. Sizing john
    4. Bellshill
    5. Minella rocco

Quote Originally Posted by BigChaang View Post
    Excellent , and Informative thread here , thanks and well done , my top 5 for the gold cup currently.,
    1. Might bite
    2. Our duke
    3. Sizing john
    4. Bellshill
    5. Minella rocco
    Your top 5 would be a great race on its own but throw in Thistlecrack, Douvan, Yorkhill and Coneygree and it would be some Gold Cup.

I'm getting giddy thinking about it

Absolutely right Faugheen , Let's just hope that as many, or preferably All of them line up !!.

Bellshill pretty left-field?

My one from left-field is American - I was at Uttoxeter the day after the Gold Cup and with soft in te going under Noel Fehily absolutely hacked up. I can see 40/1 in a few places, and if I knew it'd be soft ground I would have a bet...but I don't so I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevloaf View Post
    Bellshill pretty left-field?

My one from left-field is American - I was at Uttoxeter the day after the Gold Cup and with soft in te going under Noel Fehily absolutely hacked up. I can see 40/1 in a few places, and if I knew it'd be soft ground I would have a bet...but I don't so I won't.
    You can get 90 on the exchanges Kev. I was trying to get some small stakes matched at 120. As you say he'll need soft ground but what price will he be after he wins the Hennessey?!

Yeah . Bellshill is a bit of a long shot , but I said before he's won a good no of class 1 races and 3rd in the R.S.A ,
    And beaten Altior . , so worth a small punt at 50-1 (66-1 ladbrokes).

Minella Rocco has the Gold Cup as the aim (no mention of the National). To start off in the same Punchestown race Don Cossack ran and won twice

More from Noel Meade

Disko
    He won two Grade 1s last year and we're really looking forward to seeing what he can do this season. We've very high hopes for him and, if he stays the trip, he could develop into a Cheltenham Gold Cup contender. I think he'll be twice the horse this year that he was last season.

Anyone seen any news on Killataugh Vic?

Is he going to come back?