Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham Gold Cup 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheltenham Gold Cup 2018

There have been snippets of National Hunt news over the last few weeks and I can't wait! As can be expected, before the season starts and injuries start to appear, this race in particular looks absolutely mouth watering. I will try and remember to post the betting table periodically through the season so we can see what has changed!

There will no doubt be huge changes to these markets, especially as the Triple Crown seems to be the target for Sizing John and Might Bite as well a few of the older contenders.

Last season, I had backed every horse in the Gold Cup, each with varying degree's of overall profit. That won't be to everybodies taste which is fair enough, and it isn't guarenteed as I don't know what will turn up and what the morning prices will be... last year I was fortunate that Thistlecrack was taking a huge chunk out of the market for so long.

THis year, I have a stronger view than I did last year (at this early stage) as I was blown away with Our Duke in the Irish Grand National. He now has an official rating of 167. Sizing John (the reigning champion, who backed up at Punchestown) is 1 lb higher on 168. I love the way he has been slowly brought along and the decision to bypass Cheltenham this year (RSA Chase) could end up being a very shrewd move as he may still be able to progress and be slightly under the radar (in terms of price). I think the 10/1 about Our Duke is still a very good price, however, I only have 2 pts on at 12/1 in singles so far and can't see his price contracting much until Christmas time... so no need to back it again. The plan is for Jessica Harrington to keep her stars Our Duke and Sizing John apart, with SJ lined up for a go at the triple crown, it'll leave Our Duke in Ireland and the first real market shaping race over there won't be until the Lexus at Christmas time? If we see an impressive performance in the first leg of the triple crown at Haydock (25th November) the market may very much focus on the UK runners so I'll be keeping an eye on Our Duke's price even as he stays in his box.

The first leg of the triple crown does lead me nicely on to the other horse I have already backed, and that is Might Bite (1 pt at 14/1) and 2 pts (50/1 Triple Crown). The case has been made elsewhere (ante post bets thread) about why it is a good price for the latter and if he does win at Haydock, it'll be impossible not to have him as fav for Kempton where he was (and did despite falling) put up an almighty performance in the Kauto Star/Feltham. The trends will favour the record of RSA chase winners, as well as King George winners and if Might Bite has won the first, I fully expect him to win the King George, whoever turns up to have a go at him! If that did happen, I wouldn't be able to fancy MB at the price he would be for Cheltenham, as he clearly has some screws loose. The RSA chase win in a photo against Whisper was one of the most exciting finishes that I can remember but you can't see him getting away with that again!

Talking of crazy horses, Mullins' best chance in the betting at this stage is Yorkhill. No point speculating too much at this stage as we still don't know if he is a 2 mile hurdler, or a 3m2f chaser - but he'll continue to divide opinion and take a huge chunk out of the market wherever he turns up as a dual festival winner. Ruby can only ride one, and personally I can't see Djakadam being given another bite at the cherry in the GC (so he'll be Ryanair or Grand National bound?!) so I see it as a straight toss up with Douvan. I appreciate they're different owners, but these are arguably Mullins' two highest profile horses and when the Ryanair is there for the taking with either, I'd at this stage be amazed if they didn't get split up! It isn't feasible to me to see Yorkhill in the QMCC. Douvan could, but I now think it is more likely we see him try a step up in trip. If that went really well (and he won the King George for example) then he'd obviously have to take in the Gold Cup, which may push Yorkhill in to the ryanair (where he has two festival distance wins to his name).... alternatively if it didn't go so well, we could see Douvan 'do a Vautour' and crush the Ryanair field! I've already spent too much time waffling about this though, and the prices of each considering the targets aren't certain until about a week before - I'll move on.

I have backed one other horse 1 pt - Coneygree at 50/1 and although that price has long gone after his fine effort behind Sizing John in Ireland, I don't expect him to get there Not going to mention every horse but at the head of the market Sizing John and Thistlecrack both look too short at this stage. Thistlecrack got beaten and has been out since so will need to see him again and I hope he does come back because he is superb! Sizing John just looks too short to consider at this stage but I have nothing to knock him with.

Had some trouble with the picture of the odds being too big... will sort that out later

Comment

Really fancy one of Our Duke or Might Bite for a Gold Cup Charge

I thought Our Duke would go Hennessy (or whatever its called now) then *** RACE then Gold cup similar to Native River but Paddy Power are giving Our Duke as 20/1 for the Hennessy?? Does that say that the target is unlikely

Comment

I think JH has already said Our Duke will be campaigned in Ireland during the first half of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
          I think JH has already said Our Duke will be campaigned in Ireland during the first half of the season.
          Yeah that is my understanding too. Unlikely we'll see an Irish horse come over to carry top weight in a handicap - would certainly hammer home those Denman comparisons in my head if we're wrong though

Comment

Good effort Kev and great to see some detailed chat back, but can I assume that you don't consider Minella Rocco a challenger at all ?
            On decent ground I think he's a leading runner....

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
              Good effort Kev and great to see some detailed chat back, but can I assume that you don't consider Minella Rocco a challenger at all ?
              Certainly do.... got plenty of time to discuss his claims. I did think he was 'short enough' though at this stage... there is that stat that always comes out about the success of horses that didn't win at their first attempt. I think, in short, what is needed to win the race this year, will be higher than last year - Sizing John sets that standard ATM.

Minella Rocco with a better prep can't be ruled out? I have also found that I backed Coney Island in the same colours at 50/1 earlier this year! I see he isn't quoted with every firm though, hope I haven't missed anything and its negligance on their part!

Comment

Great opening post Kev. I keep meaning to add my thoughts but it's quite a lengthy response!

In the meantime, an update on Sizing John...

'Fantastic' Sizing John delighting Harrington after summer of fun

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                  Certainly do.... got plenty of time to discuss his claims. I did think he was 'short enough' though at this stage... there is that stat that always comes out about the success of horses that didn't win at their first attempt. I think, in short, what is needed to win the race this year, will be higher than last year - Sizing John sets that standard ATM.

Minella Rocco with a better prep can't be ruled out? I have also found that I backed Coney Island in the same colours at 50/1 earlier this year! I see he isn't quoted with every firm though, hope I haven't missed anything and its negligance on their part!
                  Coney Island missed Cheltenham and was put way for the year - dont think it was too serious but would like to hear some news. Young horse with plenty of scope to improve ( past Our Duke) but a bit afraid they might take the Imperial Commander route to Gold Cup via Ryanair.

Comment

Douvan a safer bet than Yorkhill imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                      ...I assume that you don't consider Minella Rocco a challenger at all ?
                      On first glance over Minella Roccos form he doesn't look the most straight forward with form figures of the below over fences:

3-PU-6-2-1-3-F-U-2

So very much hit and miss, and he's never actually struck me as a natural jumper of a fence. However looking closer and watching back his runs I think the key to the horse is a large field where by he has plenty of cover.

His form with 7 or fewer runners:
                      3-PU-6-2F-U

His form with 8+ runners:
                      1-3-2

I just think he needs to be eased into his races slowly and the larger field sizes allow that. When there's few horses around him I think his jumping suffers. The good thing of course is your almost guaranteed a large field size in the Gold Cup. So his "iffy" record can be upgraded in the context of this race imo and then he starts to look a much more reliable and solid proposition. I remember seeing him up close at the Open meeting last year and he's an absolute tank of a horse. Looks ideal for the national and I do think that's the number 1 goal for the horse's career but with there being 4 weeks between festivals again this year I can see him being aimed at both no problem. A win and a Gold Cup second in 2 festival races is very hard to knock.

That said I do agree with Kev in that I see this year being a level above last years race alongside the fact beaten horses have to have very strong claims for me to think they can go better next time - year after year backs this up. I know it's often said at the start of the new season and often doesn't play out whether injuries take their toll or the potential doesn't quite fulfil but the likes of Might Bite, Yorkhill, Our Duke, Thistlecrack and Douvan could just be a level above. Add Sizing John who already has the beating of the horse and there being glaring reason why Minella Rocco should improve past him, with them both being 7 and open to improvement.

For me he's also linked extremely closely with Native River with just 1.25 and 0.5 lengths splitting the pair in their 2 festival runs .Native River's run can be marked up slightly with the Tizzard yard being out of form during the festival but I find it hard to imagine Native River winning the race next year so it's hard for me to imagine MR winning either. (Could very well be another close finish between the pair at Aintree in April though)

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he filled the places again come March - he could very well be another Giant Bolster/Djakadam type who fills the frame several years running but I can see one if not a few of those horses just mentioned being better. I'd myself want slightly bigger odds right now than the 16/1 but he looks to hold a solid each way chance for sure.

Comment

Excellent , and Informative thread here , thanks and well done , my top 5 for the gold cup currently.,
                        1. Might bite
                        2. Our duke
                        3. Sizing john
                        4. Bellshill
                        5. Minella rocco

Comment

Originally posted by BigChaang View Post
                          Excellent , and Informative thread here , thanks and well done , my top 5 for the gold cup currently.,
                          1. Might bite
                          2. Our duke
                          3. Sizing john
                          4. Bellshill
                          5. Minella rocco
                          Your top 5 would be a great race on its own but throw in Thistlecrack, Douvan, Yorkhill and Coneygree and it would be some Gold Cup.

I'm getting giddy thinking about it

Comment

Absolutely right Faugheen , Let's just hope that as many, or preferably All of them line up !!.

Comment

Bellshill pretty left-field?

My one from left-field is American - I was at Uttoxeter the day after the Gold Cup and with soft in te going under Noel Fehily absolutely hacked up. I can see 40/1 in a few places, and if I knew it'd be soft ground I would have a bet...but I don't so I won't.

Comment

Working...
                              X