Page 12 of 73 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 726
  1. #111
    Sharjah. He was impressive on his hurdling debut, although he didn't beat much.

  2. #112
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby91 View Post
    Which one?
    I know of 18 ricci novice/juveniles
    Had 8 runs on the flat before joining mullins, so there's no way of translating that form over hurdles however his flat form is very good, on his last start the 2 horses that finished in front of him have gone on to be campaigned exclusively in listed and group 2s, being a few lenghts behind vazirabad and cloth of stars respectively.


    Could be another Melbourne cup horse down the line

  3. #113
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    761
    I'm always a bit skeptical about the early season runners for WPM with regards to novice hurdle races at the festival.

    Champagne Fever, Douvan & Faugheen all started their preparations in November, all went on to win and were indeed WPM's main hopes (based on the betting), whilst Vautour & Min were December, 1st and 2nd respectively at the festival but again were WPM's main hopes, and as proved the case Melon had a monumental task to win the Supreme with only the one run before the actual festival, and that was in January, but finished a solid 2nd, but again was his main hope on race day.

    For me there seems to be a bit of a pattern, his best novices do not come out before November, so that they peak for the festival, he does indeed send out some decent novices out prior to his best appearing for the season to keep the yard ticking over and to pick up nice pots for all connections, if their respective horses are good enough.

  4. #114
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    249
    I was at Gowran for Sharjah straight after the stable visit. They were pretty confident.

    As far as the start date is concerned, COD's rule of thumb is pretty sound because the ones that are seen as spring festival prospects don't come back in until the end of July. However, there are always one or two who may not be quite ready for Punchestown and their novice status is preserved for the next season with Galway an early target. Bachasson and Long Dog would be examples and, of course, Penhill last season.

  5. #115
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby91 View Post
    No triumph thread but Malay a is also entered up on Sunday where if she runs I expect her to smash gumball on the bridle. French mare straight from the top draw.
    Sam t d jocked up. Will be very interested in the opening betting after gumball romping home previously and hoping the market will be all wrong.
    Very excited about Malaya, the best purchase iv seen so far for me, imo head and shoulders above apples shakira.
    with melody of scotland for jp/ king another very nice mare.

  6. #116
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    761
    Loving the info on Malaya Scooby, cheers, hoping the market is all wrong like you say.

  7. #117
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    164
    Cheers for the info scooby mate

  8. #118
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby91 View Post
    Sam t d jocked up. Will be very interested in the opening betting after gumball romping home previously and hoping the market will be all wrong.
    Very excited about Malaya, the best purchase iv seen so far for me, imo head and shoulders above apples shakira.
    with melody of scotland for jp/ king another very nice mare.
    Good shout on Malaya and I will keep an eye on her.

    One thing I do always have an issue with is collateral French form as it quite often does not stack up when the horses enter training in the UK or Ireland and you can see dramatic improvements. For instance, Vautour was beaten twice in France before moving to Mullins. On his second start he was beaten 6l by Black River getting 4lbs. Vautour went on to be a 176 chaser and Black River a lowly 132. These young, inexperienced horses are all brought along at different rates so for some, their French form can be barely scratching the surface of their ability but for others it could be as good as they get.

    So although the form of Malaya looks impressive right now, I'd take a punt that Apples Shakira may turn out to be the better horse in time.

  9. #119
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,118
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieMoon33 View Post
    Good shout on Malaya and I will keep an eye on her.

    One thing I do always have an issue with is collateral French form as it quite often does not stack up when the horses enter training in the UK or Ireland and you can see dramatic improvements. For instance, Vautour was beaten twice in France before moving to Mullins. On his second start he was beaten 6l by Black River getting 4lbs. Vautour went on to be a 176 chaser and Black River a lowly 132. These young, inexperienced horses are all brought along at different rates so for some, their French form can be barely scratching the surface of their ability but for others it could be as good as they get.

    So although the form of Malaya looks impressive right now, I'd take a punt that Apples Shakira may turn out to be the better horse in time.
    I agree completely with what you are saying, you cant always take the form literally. but with the likes of vautour (maccaire) they know what they are doing when retaining there novice status for a higher fee. And recommending them to Pierre boullard/ mullins
    Last edited by Scooby91; 10-13-2017 at 02:01 PM.

  10. #120
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby91 View Post
    I agree completely with what you are saying, you cant always take the form literally. but with the likes of vautour (maccaire) they know what they are doing when retaining there novice status for a higher fee. And recommending them to Pierre boullard/ mullins
    Very true indeed. But with all the pontential non-tryers in the races it just adds to the form conundrum. All that being said, I'd be very surprised if both Malaya and Apples Shakira weren't contesting the Triumph in March. They are with powerful trainers with good records in the race and they've both actually jumped hurdles in race conditions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •