Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RSA Chase 2013

Cool RSA Chase 2013

THE RSA CHASE
    Class 1, Grade One, 150,000 Total Prize Fund. 2.40pm Cheltenham, Wednesday, March 13, 2013. For novice 5-y-o+, three miles and half a furlong.
    Weights: 5-y-o 11st 2lb; 6-y-o+ 11st 4lb. Allowances: mares 7lb. Entries closed January 22, entries revealed January 24 (49 entries), scratchings deadline February 19 (31 remain), six-day confirmation stage March 7, final declaration stage 10.00am, March 12. Form figures supplied by Weatherbys and are correct up to and including the racing of Tuesday, February 19. May not include some overseas form.

Form Horse Age Owner Trainer
    10-0121 ARGOCAT (IRE) 5 Fitri Hay Tom Taaffe IRE
    321-122 AUPCHARLIE (IRE) 7 Ann & Alan Potts Partnership Willie Mullins IRE
    10/-2111 BACK IN FOCUS (IRE) 8 Andrea & Graham Wylie Willie Mullins IRE
    1/1112-11 BOSTON BOB (IRE) 8 Andrea & Graham Wylie Willie Mullins IRE
    0/F4-121 CHARTREUX (FR) 8 Roger Brookhouse Tom George
    311-1264 DEDIGOUT (IRE) 7 Gigginstown House Stud Tony Martin IRE
    420-111 DYNASTE (FR) 7 John White David Pipe
    2/-2141141 FOURJACKS 8 Trevor Hemmings Tim Easterby
    1-11 GOULANES (IRE) 7 Roger Brookhouse David Pipe
    1F-1F22 HADRIAN'S APPROACH (IRE) 6 Richard & Lizzie Kelvin Hughes Nicky Henderson
    46-114232 HOUBLON DES OBEAUX (FR) 6 Mrs Julian Blackwell Venetia Williams
    410-22123 LORD WINDERMERE (IRE) 7 Dr Ronan Lambe Jim Culloty IRE
    133-12F4 LYREEN LEGEND (IRE) 6 Lyreen Syndicate Dessie Hughes IRE
    2121-22 MARASONNIEN (FR) 7 Susannah Ricci Willie Mullins IRE
    22/52-113 MARITO (GER) 7 Susannah Ricci Willie Mullins IRE
    5-021F1 MIKAEL D'HAGUENET (FR) 9 Susannah Ricci Willie Mullins IRE
    2/10P-124 OUR FATHER (IRE) 7 The Ives & Johnson Families David Pipe
    1/114-11P REAL MILAN (IRE) 8 Diana Whateley Donald McCain
    F1/F2-33 REALT MOR (IRE) 8 Mrs Pat Sloan Gordon Elliott IRE
    210-2111 ROCKY CREEK (IRE) 7 The Johnson & Stewart Families Paul Nicholls
    01-23413 SAME DIFFERENCE (IRE) 7 Mrs R Vaughan Nigel Twiston-Davies
    3F/P-112 SIRE COLLONGES (FR) 7 Angela Tincknell & Bill Tincknell Paul Nicholls
    F12-2212 SUPER DUTY (IRE) 7 Brannon, Dick, Hernon & Holden Donald McCain
    134-1211 TERMINAL (FR) 6 Favourites Racing Willie Mullins IRE
    53-32P2P1 THEATRICAL STAR 7 Brocade Racing Colin Tizzard
    1-121412 TOFINO BAY (IRE) 10 Gigginstown House Stud Dessie Hughes IRE
    620-5452 TONER D'OUDAIRIES (FR) 6 Gigginstown House Stud Gordon Elliott IRE
    6-1F01F13 TOUR DES CHAMPS (FR) 6 Raymond Mould Nigel Twiston-Davies
    65-11311 UNIONISTE (FR) 5 John Hales Paul Nicholls
    13P-2212 VINTAGE STAR (IRE) 7 Trevor Hemmings Sue Smith
    221-23 YOU MUST KNOW ME (IRE) 7 Alan & Ann Potts Partnership Henry de Bromhead IRE
    31 entries remain after February 19 scratchings deadline
    15 Irish-trained
    THE FOLLOWING 18 HORSES HAVE BEEN SCRATCHED: AVOCA PROMISE (IRE), BRASS TAX (IRE), CANTLOW
    (IRE), FILL THE POWER (IRE), GULLINBURSTI (IRE), HANDY ANDY (IRE), HIGHLAND LODGE (IRE), KLEPHT
    (IRE), MOUNT BENBULBEN (IRE), MOUNTAINOUS (IRE), MY MURPHY (IRE), RESTLESS HARRY, SPRING
    HEELED (IRE), TEXAS JACK (IRE), THIRD INTENTION (IRE), TURBAN (FR), VESPER BELL (IRE), YUROK (IRE)
    Timeform Ratings (weight-adjusted)
    175p Dynaste
    169p Back In Focus
    168p Rocky Creek
    168 Tofino Bay
    168 Aupcharlie
    167 Mikael d’Haguenet
    165+ Unioniste
    165+ Boston Bob
    164 Houblon des Obeaux
    163 Lord Windermere
    163 Dedigout

----------------------------------------------------------------
    No Betfair market to September but a few bookies starting to price up the RSA Chase for 2013. Willie Mullins looks to have a strong hand which means you run the risk some of these end up redirected to the Jewson . Must have a good look through the Gigginstown novices nearer betfair going live ...

Boston Bob 10s
    Fingal Bay 10
    Simonsig 10s ( Arkle imo)
    Champagne Fever 16s ( with Ladbrokes)
    Lovcen 16s Stan James
    Smad Place 16s
    Arvika Ligeonniere 20s
    Ambion Wood 25s

Others not quoted ....

Felix Yonger
    Lyreen Legend

Returning from injury ?

Sword of Destiny
    Rigour Back Bob
    Last edited by Old Vic; 02-20-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Lots of sea of thunder fans on the horses to follow thread. 20s for now.

Hoof
    Fingal Bay out this weekend

Fingal Bay is likely to begin his career over fences at Chepstow on Saturday. The six-year-old was one of the most exciting novice hurdlers in training last season, completing a four-timer in the Challow Hurdle at Newbury in December.
    A setback forced him to miss the Cheltenham Festival and he was beaten by Lovcen on his final start at Aintree's Grand National meeting, but he remains a top prospect for jumping fences.
    "That would be the plan at the moment (to run). All has gone well since he's come back in. He's working well and schooling well. He definitely wants the ground on the softer side. They are calling it good to soft, soft in places at Chepstow and that will be fine," said Hobbs.
    "I wouldn't think he'd want any less than two and a half miles. He might want three miles in time but Saturday's race is a good place to start."
    Fingal Bay is one of 21 entries for the Blue Square Bet Robert Mottram Memorial Novices' Chase, a race won by the top-class Cue Card 12 months ago. His potential rivals include Module, Super Duty and Poungach.

A couple more in the mix from Pipey ..

While we are on the subject of novice chasers, I couldn't let this opportunity go by without making reference to Dynaste and Our Father who have both been schooling over fences at home in preparation for a tilt at the larger obstacles this season. They were both high class hurdlers (especially Dynaste, who you may remember gave Big Buck's a fright or two last term) and there is no reason why they should not prove at least as effective over fences...I have certainly been pleased with what I have seen so far at home.

Huntball
    Pipey on Dynaste this morning

Talking of nice staying chasers, I have been looking forward to entering top-class staying hurdler Dynaste over fences. Our Haydock Fixed Brush Hurdle winner is the highest rated hurdler from the yard that will be switching to fences this season and he has schooled really well at home. I had earmarked him to make his chase debut at Worcester this week in a race that originally had a total prize fund of 6,000. I was very disappointed to see that when the race conditions were subsequently reproduced that the race was then worth a total of 4,700. I understand that times are financially very testing for everyone at present, but a near 22% decrease in proposed prize money is preposterous. I feel sorry for the racegoers who are deprived of seeing quality horses such as him because Arena Leisure are not prepared to put up satisfactory funds.

Steeplechasing blog ...

The odds compilers at Coral sometimes ‘take a view’ (follow their own opinions rather than the market’s) on a big race and it looks like they are doing so with the RSA next March. They offer 20/1 about Saturday’s Punchestown winner, Back In Focus. Big mistake, I think.

He is just half that price with Bet 365 and is generally a 14/1 chance. *He’s won both his steeplechases; Saturday’s race was a pretty strong one and although the ground was heavy, he had the smoothest action of the four runners suggesting that he will go at least as well if not better on good ground (a high knee action usually suggests that a horse will go well on soft ground). I suspect it’s not so much soft ground he needs as a true stamina test.

On that front, my only reservation on the ante-post front is that he might end up in the 4m National Hunt Chase, although his trainer, Willie Mullins, said after Saturday’s race that the RSA trip would suit him well. *If he ends up in the four-miler, well you can back him to recover your lost stake for the RSA (ante-post bets are lost if the horse does not run).

In action, he looks a proper stayer: a head-down rhythmic galloper and an economical relaxed jumper. He made one error on Saturday, otherwise he fenced like an old handicapper and better ground should only help his technique. He reminded me a bit of Denman. Like that horse, he seems to give a lot in his races without any driving and I suspect he would want a fair rest between runs.

But take the 20/1 before Coral realise they’ve made a bloomer.

Good luck

Joe

Hoof
    Donn against Dynaste and for Fingal Bay

Dynaste put Fingal Bay in his place with a fine turn of foot on the run to the last fence in the curtain-raiser on Friday (seems like a while ago now), although you couldn’t be certain that the form will be confirmed in the half-a-mile longer RSA Chase in March if they both get to line up in the race. Fingal Bay had to lead from a fair way out on Friday, he was conceding 5lb and he is a galloper, not a quickener. Dynaste has a hugely impressive turn of foot, but it is a two-and-a-half-mile turn of foot. You rarely see RSA Chases won by turns of feet.

JohnC
    Simlar view here:

The Open meeting had kicked off with a duel between the two British horses shortest in the RSA market, Fingal Bay and Dynaste, (who received 5lb, extended 2m4f, good to soft). The pace was steady and Dynaste travelled and jumped really well, before powering clear after the last. It’s tempting to think that 3m hurdlers will be slow when going over fences but it may be that Dynaste is suited by intermediate distances at this stage of his career, so I wouldn’t be taking 8/1 for the RSA at the moment. Supporters of Fingal Bay shouldn’t be too disheartened – he’s a galloper not a horse who quickens, so a slowly run race didn’t suit, (yard not in top form either). It might not be until the RSA that we see the best of him, (12/1).

JohnC
    Irish Novices at Punchestown

In the second (2m6f), Back in Focus outstayed Lyreen Legend after the runner up had looked to be going best 2 out. The winner is an out and out stayer who looks tailor made for the 3m novice at Leopardstown at Christmas. He has a great record on testing going but bombed on his only run on good ground in the Sefton at Aintree so it was interesting to hear Willie Mullins describe him as having a good ground action. If he can handle a sound surface he could be an RSA contender (20/1). The runner up may end up in the Jewson rather than RSA and is one to keep an eye on.

Hoof
    RSA Chase
    8-1 Dynaste (Betfred, totesport, Ladbrokes), Boston Bob (general)
    12-1 Our Father (Ladbrokes), Fingal Bay (Stan James, Ladbrokes, William Hill)
    16-1 Champagne Fever (Skybet, BetVictor; 31-1, Betfair)
    20-1 Ambion Wood (general; 26-1, Betfair), Dedigout (Boylesports, sportingbet, BetVictor; 28-1, Betfair), Broadbackbob (general), Arvika Ligeonniere (general; 80-1, Betfair), Smad Place (Skybet, BetVictor; 94-1, Betfair), Simonsig (Stan James; 123, Betfair), Back In Focus (Coral), Lovcen (general; 37-1, Betfair)
    25-1 Sire Collonges (Paddy Power; 31-1, Betfair), Rocky Creek (general; 33-1, Betfair), Houblon Des Obeaux (general; 29-1, Betfair), Grand Vision (Stan James; 142-1, Betfair), Highland Lodge (general; 66-1, Betfair)
    33-1 bar