Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

The Whitbread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Whitbread

Those under about 30 may be heading for Google at the title of this thread but the race that is currently known as the Bet365 Gold Cup was, for 45 years, sponsored by Whitbread.

Key trends:

Must have raced within last 56 days
    Carrying 11st 5lb or less (only Tidal Bay has won carrying more in last 20 renewals), or even 11.00 or less (21 of last 26 hit this trend)
    Needs to be a winner over 3m (though since the re-measurement of many tracks just under is OK)
    Age 9 or under have the upper hand, 8yo have a great record.
    No horse older than 11 has ever won the race (there have been six 11yo winners from the 60 runnings).

The one jumps out at me is Vyta Du Roc.
    I have history with this horse, had plenty on him in his Neptune when the horse ploughed through the last and almost sat on the floor for a while before a fast finishing fourth.
    Winner of the Reynoldstown (which I'm claiming was 3m) proves a liking for right handed tracks but he hasn't really pressed on in the way many would have expected, but he has claimed 5th and 6th placed efforts in an Hennessy and Scottish National so been mixing it with some top staying chasers.
    He gets in here off 136 having been rated 148 just five months ago, an unusual drop for a horse in his first season out of novice company.

I've had to settle for 11/1 but 12/1 is available and at the five day stage there were just 17 declared, Henderson is gunning for the trainers title and Daryl Jacob booked to ride.

I've got a little bet on The Young Master at 16/1 but I'm not particularly confident. I might add Rock The Kasbah while there are still 16+ runners

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
      Those under about 30 may be heading for Google at the title of this thread but the race that is currently known as the Bet365 Gold Cup was, for 45 years, sponsored by Whitbread.

Key trends:

Must have raced within last 56 days
      Carrying 11st 5lb or less (only Tidal Bay has won carrying more in last 20 renewals), or even 11.00 or less (21 of last 26 hit this trend)
      Needs to be a winner over 3m (though since the re-measurement of many tracks just under is OK)
      Age 9 or under have the upper hand, 8yo have a great record.
      No horse older than 11 has ever won the race (there have been six 11yo winners from the 60 runnings).

The one jumps out at me is Vyta Du Roc.
      I have history with this horse, had plenty on him in his Neptune when the horse ploughed through the last and almost sat on the floor for a while before a fast finishing fourth.
      Winner of the Reynoldstown (which I'm claiming was 3m) proves a liking for right handed tracks but he hasn't really pressed on in the way many would have expected, but he has claimed 5th and 6th placed efforts in an Hennessy and Scottish National so been mixing it with some top staying chasers.
      He gets in here off 136 having been rated 148 just five months ago, an unusual drop for a horse in his first season out of novice company.

I've had to settle for 11/1 but 12/1 is available and at the five day stage there were just 17 declared, Henderson is gunning for the trainers title and Daryl Jacob booked to ride.
      Following you in Ista

Comment

Andy Holding
        Not a vintage renewal by any stretch of the imagination and with feeling that many of the likely field are coming here as an afterthought or a hard season, the two standout candidates appear to be DOING FINE (best price 6-1) and ROCK THE KASBAH (best price 16-1). The former will arrive at the Esher venue in tremendous shape have confirmed his current wellbeing with an easy success at Cheltenham last week and having run well over the C&D in the London Gold Cup behind Rocky Creek back in December, another bold show looks on the cards representing a stable that won this race last year.

The latter was due to run in the big novices’ chase at Ayr last week but connections have decided to take their chance here with a young chaser who has shown a decent level of form since he switched his attentions to the larger obstacles. Off the mark at the first time of asking at Chepstow in October, Philip Hobbs’ inmate has finished placed behind the likes of O O Seven, Politologue and American subsequently and with the speed figures of each of those performances reading well (particularly the latter effort at Uttoxeter), he should easily have enough quality for the examination at the weekend. Although he didn’t set the world alight on his only visit to today’s track back in February, he actually did quite well to finish as close-up as he did after surviving a terrible blunder at the first ditch (took off too soon and landed in the top of the fence) and it was good to see him attack the rest of the fences with relish thereafter.

A hugely consistent and likeable type who has form on ground ranging from good to heavy, he has every chance of providing the same connections as Menorah (won at this meeting for last three years) with another memorable finish to the season.
        Gary Nutting
        The handicapper has given Bet365 Gold Cup contender VYTA DU ROC a good chance of improving on his creditable efforts in the Hennessy and last season's Scottish National.

Nicky Henderson's grey is 8lb lower than when finishing fifth at Ayr 12 months ago and 6lb below the mark from which he was sixth to Native River at Newbury in November.

On both occasions he was beaten less than ten lengths and having been freshened up since mid-February, it would be no surprise to see him make the necessary improvement at Sandown.

The track should suit his economic jumping style - getting into a rhythm over the quick succession of fences down the far side is crucial - while the trainer also has the option of first-time headgear to sharpen him up if he feels it necessary.

At his best, the 8yo is a class act - witness his fine efforts over hurdles on goodish ground at the Cheltenham and Aintree festivals two seasons ago and soft-ground victory over Minella Rocco in last year's Reynoldstown Chase at Ascot.

That level of form makes him of particular interest at double-figure odds off a career-low mark of 137, some 13lb below the rating he achieved over hurdles.

Having put up stablemate SUGAR BARON for last week's Scottish National, it would be remiss of me not to also include him in the portfolio.

The 7yo got no further than the first at Ayr, which was frustrating to say the least given his ante-post price of 33-1 had contracted to 10-1 by the off.

He had previously stayed on from some way back to finish sixth in the Kim Muir, suggesting he will appreciate the extra half-mile here.

That view is backed up by a pedigree which as well as featuring Stayers' Hurdle winner Shuil Ar Aghaidh also includes Baronet, successful in the 1998 Scottish National and third the previous year.

Sugar Baron was prominent early at Cheltenham yet got a bit outpaced after being hampered around halfway, leaving him with a lot of ground to make up in a race where the first three home were up there all the way.

The first-time cheekpieces he wore last week will presumably be retained to help him travel better throughout.
        .... sure to shorten up .... if that is anyones play
        Last edited by Kevloaf; 26 April 2017, 06:54 PM.

Comment

I'm not convinced Rock the Kasbah is entirely at home round Sandown.
          Ran really poorly a few weeks back and was never in a rythym after an early blunder, people often forget there are 7 fences down the back straight in a little over half a mile, the pressure this places on horses is immense and although the horse clearly acts on a RH track given his Ascot exploits, I think it's interesting he's been steered away from Esher.
          Not one for me...

Comment

I've covered VDR with The Druids Nephew, couple of other darts:

1.50 Landin e/w
            2.25 Menorah

Good luck all

Comment

2:25 Traffic Fluide 11/4
              3:35 The Young Master 16/1 and Rock the Kasbah ew 16/1, Theatre Guide 33/1
              4:10 Modus 7/2
              4:45 Brother Tedd 12/1
              5:20 Curious Carlos 33/1

Also fired a few data darts at Punchestown. Scoir Mear, Mega Fortune & Sizing Codelco
              Last edited by Faugheen_Machine; 29 April 2017, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Unlucky Ista - you won't be pleased to know that Jacob was riding for the second finishing post and thought he'd won as a result. Very unlucky and poor from one of the top jockeys.

Comment

Was gutted FM, took me a while to get over that yesterday.

On happier topics, how fantastic was it to see Menorah just about as good as ever so I'm very surprised they're retiring him, that said, he is clearly a horse loved by everyone involved and they want to see him happy in a field, he's been a great servant over the years...

Comment

Menorah winning the Supreme in 2010 was the first time Iwatched the festival. I'd seen key races before and had the Friday's off, but 2010 was the first time I had booked the week off to watch Cheltenham. I had £100 on Dunguib and after Menorah won, I went to the shop and bought a chocolate trifle and ate the whole thing to make myself feel better. I like it when they retire on a high... maybe looked as good as ever yesterday but in truth the rest aren't anything special ... no need to try and do it all over again as a 13 year old.

Very kind to call Jacob a top jockey got a good job, but very average.

Comment

Working...
                    X