Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Aintree 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aintree 2017

It has been very quiet on here since Cheltenham.

Let's hear your thoughts on Aintree. Topham and Foxhunter entries have been made.

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post

Let's hear your thoughts on Aintree. Topham and Foxhunter entries have been made.
    I think we've all been licking our wounds..well I have at least!

I haven't started looking at Aintree yet, but with the masters being on that weekend too it promises to be one of the best sporting weekends of the year

Comment

I got my Cheltenham loses back yesterday, at Stratford of all places.

God's Own, Bristol De Mai and Top Notch are of particular interest to me if entered. Also hoping Witness In Court turns up once again in the Topham (just ignore his course form ).

Comment

You'd have to think that Willie and Gordon will be keeping most of their powder dry to pick up Irish championship euro at Fairyhouse and Punchestown.

Comment

Originally posted by archie View Post
          You'd have to think that Willie and Gordon will be keeping most of their powder dry to pick up Irish championship euro at Fairyhouse and Punchestown.
          Yes - it won't be the Mullins onslaught that we've seen in previous years. I'd be surprised if Yorkhill ran here instead of Punchestown.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post

Gold present been running well for Henderson entered for topham looks interesting related to rajanndi express who went in for the forum antepost a few years ago , sure it was you FM that put him up. Cracking horse sadly injured and passed away.

Comment

I was all over RE that year Dazzler - good memories.

I'll try and go through the Topham in some detail this week. Bright New Dawn ran a nice race at Cheltenham and he's one that is on the shortlist.

Comment

I'll be back in full swing again soon... got a Best Man's speech to write for Friday so will do my Cheltenham summary after that, before getting excited about Aintree.

Certainly need to be on the look out for horses than missed Cheltenham with this festival in mind. Happens time after time and the Cheltenham horses get over-bet.

Haven't had a proper look yet, can't imagine Willie will have more than a few runners, but any he does have will have to have SERIOUS chance for him to bother?! Same with Gordon... Might be a case of quality not quantity with those two this time around.

Just had a quick look and nothing is jumping out at me, Bristol De Mai on a flat track at 14s maybe

Comment

Make sure you give yourself plenty of time with the speech Kev, far more important than Aintree!!!!

It'sy difficult to back anything with confidence in the graded races yet - the bookies are betting at such a high percentage, and entries won't be out until later this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Unexposed View Post
                    I think we've all been licking our wounds..well I have at least!
                    If not, trying to gain extra brownie points again?

Comment

Took a pummelling at Cheltenham, and usually Aintree is where I hand back a chunk of Cheltenham winners so proceeding with caution this year

Also avoiding the Cheltenham horses - same story every year!

Comment

Originally posted by robith View Post
                        Also avoiding the Cheltenham horses - same story every year!
                        Is that true Robith ?
                        I haven't done the Aintree trends for a couple of years but the graded races are generally a boost to Chelt form, at least it used to be that way.
                        They came to an agreement some years back where there would be a min of 22 days between Gold Cup and National allowing horses to recover...

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                          Is that true Robith ?
                          I haven't done the Aintree trends for a couple of years but the graded races are generally a boost to Chelt form, at least it used to be that way.
                          They came to an agreement some years back where there would be a min of 22 days between Gold Cup and National allowing horses to recover...
                          It's based on feel rather than anything empirical (true class usually wins out) but I'd be a bit weary of backing anything that ran to a high level at Cheltenham

Comment

Originally posted by robith View Post
                            It's based on feel rather than anything empirical (true class usually wins out) but I'd be a bit weary of backing anything that ran to a high level at Cheltenham
                            A recurring debate...

found a bit on this thread about it from last year

Share your tips for the Aintree Grand National Meeting Forum with threads on all big races over the three days including Grand National, Aintree Hurdle, Melling Chase, Betfred Bowl, Sefton Hurdle etc.

Narrowingthefield

The Cheltenham Festival once again produced a steady stream of winners…
                            There were 21 races run at the Aintree Festival this season. 13 of those winners had their last start at the previous months Cheltenham Festival.

There were 65 win & place horses and 34 of them had their last start at Cheltenham.

The Cheltenham festival, naturally, supplied by far the most runners over the three days but backing them all would have given you a +£6.75 level stakes profit to Betfair SP.

The facts are running at the Cheltenham Festival on your previous start before coming on to Aintree is NOT a negative. Far from it in fact.

Horses with very few runs on the board in the past 12 months struggled to land a blow…
                            Race fitness is vital at this stage of the season. You may think that coming in fresh against a bunch of horses who have been on the go all season would be a positive, but you would be wrong, it is the opposite.

34 horses lined up having had 0 or 1 starts in the past 12 months and all 34 failed to score. In fact only 3 even managed to place.

If we stretch those parameters a bit further, to horses that have had 3 or less runs in the past 12 months, you get similarly disappointing stats…

3/113 | 2.5% S/R | -£86.64 BFLSP – Win & Place 19/113 | 17% S/R

It’s pays to be match fit when coming to Aintree in the Spring and those that haven’t seen much action in the past 12 months have struggled to land serious blows.

Comment

I'm keen to take on OTF and Pacha Du Polder in the Foxhunters. Having watched last season's Topham again, Distime and Top Cat Henry both race decent races, with Distime running a particularly eye catching race. He jumped the last in about 9th position and finished strongly to hit the line in 4th, 13 lengths behind Eastlake.

He finished a long way behind Persian Snow last time out but looking through his form he has always need his first run after a break and should come on a lot from that effort.

Katie Walsh has been booked to ride and at 25/1 i'm keen to take a chance each way.
                              Last edited by Faugheen_Machine; 1 April 2017, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X