Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

What to learn from your Antepost 2017 (with 2018 in mind)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post

If we couldn't find a ball within 2 mins the batter was out and spare would be used, hit a car on the full out, house on the full out, auto WK the wall or fence panel behind. It was like having Jack Russell covering around to backwards point, couple all that with using those orange kwik balls that swung like a prime Akram/Younis it was very difficult to get past double digits on our street . Needless to say we all ended up bowlers and our local club had many at batting collapse ala England vs Aussies 90s style.
    We used a corkey on a football field !!
    With no pads.
    Hence I was exceptional playing through the offside, and hopeless playing off my legs.
    And fucking brilliant at ducking, and swaying.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post

If we couldn't find a ball within 2 mins the batter was out and spare would be used, hit a car on the full out, house on the full out, auto WK the wall or fence panel behind. It was like having Jack Russell covering around to backwards point, couple all that with using those orange kwik balls that swung like a prime Akram/Younis it was very difficult to get past double digits on our street . Needless to say we all ended up bowlers and our local club had many at batting collapse ala England vs Aussies 90s style.
      We used those balls. Used to love throwing 5 or 6 in-duckers in a row, then getting him to knick the out-swinger - I was more Dominic Cork than Wasim Akram! Played for hours in the yard with my brother - my shoulder is knackered now and I blame it on all the throw downs.

It'll be great to have the local cricket back this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Quevega View Post

We used a corkey on a football field !!
        With no pads.
        Hence I was exceptional playing through the offside, and hopeless playing off my legs.
        And fucking brilliant at ducking, and swaying.
        I'm getting OFAH Albert " during the war" as i read that haha

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post

We used those balls. Used to love throwing 5 or 6 in-duckers in a row, then getting him to knick the out-swinger - I was more Dominic Cork than Wasim Akram! Played for hours in the yard with my brother - my shoulder is knackered now and I blame it on all the throw downs.

It'll be great to have the local cricket back this year.
        They made you think you'd mastered bowling by 12/13, needless to say first year in top section of men's cricket a year later soon brought us back down to earth! Yeah all we did was street cricket/football every evening from 11-15 & beside bowling, throwing the ball around regular does nothing for the shoulders, I'm in the same boat on that front. I love watching Notts/locals but completely lost the buzz of playing and my side folded before last season so don't miss playing at all now weirdly.

Comment

Originally posted by Quevega View Post

It shows how most gamblers can be influenced by recency bias, in regards our strategy, hence the likely increase in number of mulitples that many will indulge in this season. Many will probably overdo it.
          When in actual fact, it would probably be sensible to view it as a one off and a balanced approach is still best. Unless the trend is long term/sustained or measurable.

It reminds me of when we used to play cricket as a kid, and the playing fields were surrounded by shrubs and bushes.

If we lost a cricket ball in the bushes, one of the options !! we used to try and find it, after initially scroaming around for ages with no joy, was to throw our only other spare ball into the bushes in approximately the same place we saw the last one go in, at the approximate same speed and height !!! - smart kids, we thought it through

Now it doesn't take a genius to work out that probably the least likely outcome is that the ball lands in exactly the same place as the original one. And it doesn't take much more thought that even if it did, we probably wouldn't find it anyway as we couldn't find the first one.

So all we were doing in reality was risking losing our spare ball.
          And of course we were being absolutely fucking stupid.

The problem is, if it works once, by chance, it seems a good idea.

Please say, if anyone has ever tried this tactic to find a lost ball.
          Then I'll feel better, that it wasn't just us.
          Got to ask, is 'scroaming' a word, some kind of local slang or a typo ??

Comment

Originally posted by Joleg View Post

Got to ask, is 'scroaming' a word, some kind of local slang or a typo ??
            spelling mistake.
            I meant scroming.
            which I think is a word.

Comment

Working...
            X