Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I took a bit of a hammering with only Yorkhill and Let's Dance as winners and had Minella Rocco e/w. Only e/w bet I placed was M.Rocco and normally never bet e/w but may have to start as, like last year, I had a lot of placed horses.

I have always been under the impression that you lose out in the long run by betting e/w, however, as the handicaps are so competitive at the Festival I think I may need to start doing it for the Festival only - thoughts? I also rarely have more than one horse a race which again I think is a bit of a no no at the Festival so shall be reassessing that too. Was disappointed with Alpha des Obeaux bleeding again as had potential 1250 point double return with him and Yorkhill (from Tingle Creek day where I combined with Un de Sceaux and Altior).

What I have learned is that having used SkyBet quite a lot during the week and losing double what I won with them they have decided to restrict my stakes as just tried to put 50 on Carlingford Lough for the national and could only get 48.48. Obviously not a great difference but clearly my account has been restricted despite losing a chunk to them last week - quite pathetic! My other pick for the national was M. Rocco and remembered the night before the Gold Cup to put a bet on, then got distracted and completely forgot - nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by Vautour View Post
    I have always been under the impression that you lose out in the long run by betting e/w, however, as the handicaps are so competitive at the Festival I think I may need to start doing it for the Festival only - thoughts?

I also rarely have more than one horse a race which again I think is a bit of a no no at the Festival so shall be reassessing that too.
    I try to avoid E/W before NRNB ... The "place" part, before then is usually not worth the stake x2 to be worth the risk.

For me, it is horse by horse (on price) whether or not I go each way though. I do bet multiple horses in a race, on literally every Cheltenham race (not the same throughout the season) and with that approach I expect to have a horse placed in every race... it is disappointing if that isn't the case, but the likelyhood is pretty slim. I will often have each way bets on multiple horses in the same race. I remember being at Chester (It was the day St Nicholas Abbey won a 5 runner race... I backed Harris Tweed *** May 2011) but that day I had no winners but every horse I backed (1 per race) was 2nd or 3rd. No real logic to it, hadn't been in to racing all-that-long then, but I didn't enjoy the feeling. I remember The Couch saying "get stuck in each way at 3/1 if you think it can't be out the 3" and they reference dirty each way bets often enough on podcasts (ane Neil Channing wherever he pops up) says it and I bought in to the logic that if the price of the horse to place is worth it, then it's worth backing each way, regardless of the odds.

It has gone wrong a few times, on the flat in the big handicaps I'll have 1 pt e/w on 4/5 horses and none will hit the frame, but it is fairly rare and I'm not as knowledgable regarding the flat so it isn't as much of a shock.

I always back each way , Probably because i don't pick too many Winners !, but , at least you got a chance of recovering your stake money. I nearly always do L.15 or L31. too , same reason , one winner and your stakes usually covered . Live to fight another day.
    Obviously if you really fancy something big time , only a single will do .

Each way all day. Its just a slower walk to the poor house.

Quote Originally Posted by mayo View Post
    Each way all day. Its just a slower walk to the poor house.
    L.O.L, I like that Mayo ,. My mate Tricky Trev always say's , next time someone gives you a big tip , take a look at his shoes !.

I'll be cutting way back on the lucky 15s antepost. so many non runners. Having the 4fold part the same stake and the single part doesn't make much sense truth be told.
    Will try to limit by antepost betting to singles and some select doubles. Altior 3/1, yorkhill 6/1 double saved my festival.

Pretty terrible year - first time I've ever lost money at Cheltenham.

I scaled my antepost down significantly year on year, but almost all of it was dead by the time the festival started.

Also I tried with more on the nose win only bets this year, only to come up with a raft of places. Someone in the office thanking me for Niethzche placing as they'd done each way on it. I hadn't.

Lessons

- Singles only
    - No handicaps
    - Avoiding Wednesday totally. Have lost money on Wednesday every single year!

Quote Originally Posted by robith View Post
    Pretty terrible year - first time I've ever lost money at Cheltenham.

I scaled my antepost down significantly year on year, but almost all of it was dead by the time the festival started.

Also I tried with more on the nose win only bets this year, only to come up with a raft of places. Someone in the office thanking me for Niethzche placing as they'd done each way on it. I hadn't.

Lessons

- Singles only
    - No handicaps
    - Avoiding Wednesday totally. Have lost money on Wednesday every single year!
    No handicaps? No bet on a Wednesday? No fun

Are you good at sticking to rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevloaf View Post
    No handicaps? No bet on a Wednesday? No fun

Are you good at sticking to rules?
    Well, I've been saying these for 3 years and not stuck to them so unlikely

Right I promise I will do this over the bank holiday weekend. I've set aside the Sunday to FINALLY re-watch the entire festival!