Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Horses To Take Out Of Cheltenham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brital View Post
    Agree MMG, and I've had my first 2018 a/p punt that that's the route they'll plot for him.

Where do you think they will go with Melon? Looked like he has the stature to make a nice chaser - Arkle contender?
    Mullins in the Chelt open day said something along the lines of "we bought him to be a CH horse, but he does have some scope for a fence".....

On Yorkhill, the fact that Mullins has said that he thinks he could go over hurdles, and now there is talk of him going for the Gold Cup, you've gotta be bonkers to be taking less than 20/1 for any target for that horse? I love the horse now, after he landed me my biggest ever return, but as an ante-post prospect he is the so easy to aboid? At least VVM had 'a soft' option. Yorkhill could go off fav in the CC, Ryanair, Gold Cup, Champion Hurdle.

I really liked UDS' performance and thought he was the best horse in the race before it, and I feel that race has proven it. I think he would have won the CC this year with that same performance and would have finished 2nd to Douvan, had Douvan been 100%. Still only beaten by SS, and keeps getting knocked.... don't mind that though, these types tend to be under-bet and keep on delivering.

Comment

Is Yorkhill in fact .... The new Vroum Vroum Mag . ... where will he turn up next year ??????.

Comment

Originally posted by BigChaang View Post
        Is Yorkhill in fact .... The new Vroum Vroum Mag . ... where will he turn up next year ??????.
        I think Yorkhill will have a more clearly defined path because Wylie and Ricci are different animals. It can't have escaped the notice of other major owners that the shenanigans regularly engaged in by Ricci has been far more detrimental to horses than beneficial, not being a total banker makes Wylie smarter I reckon

Comment

Originally posted by Brital View Post
          Agree MMG, and I've had my first 2018 a/p punt that that's the route they'll plot for him.

Where do you think they will go with Melon? Looked like he has the stature to make a nice chaser - Arkle contender?
          Melon looks made for chasing doesn't he, hell of a specimen, not built for flicking over hurdles but still put up a good performance

Comment

Min deserves a mention on related form.

Comment

I know he didn't actually run at Cheltenham this time , but where do people think Finian's Oscar will go ?

Comment

I think he'll be a JLT ​or RSA horse for next season BC.

Comment

Donn has put up Gods Own ...a painful read for many on the forum

God’s Own

God’s Own ran much better in the Champion Chase than his finishing position in fifth place suggests.

Tom George’s horse travelled and jumped well for Paddy Brennan until they got to the fourth last fence, the final ditch, which he got all wrong. He tried to bank it and, after going into the fence disputing third place and travelling well, he came out of it eighth place and struggling to recover his position.

Moved towards the outside on the run down the hill, he travelled well again to the third last fence, jumped that well and moved into second place behind the leader and ultimate winner Special Tiara on the run around the home turn. He got the second last fence wrong as well, again he tried to bank it and suddenly he was treading water. It may have been that he was tiring anyway, he had had to do a lot of running after his mistake at the fourth last to get back into a challenging position, but that mistake at the second last was the final nail in his challenge, and he just kept on up the hill, just holding on to fifth place from the fast-finishing Traffic Fluide.

God’s Own will be of interest now if he goes to Aintree, and he will be of even greater interest if he goes to Punchestown. This was his first run since he finished third, beaten just over a length by Un De Sceaux, in the Tingle Creek Chase at Sandown in early December, so there is every chance that he can improve for it anyway. He is a spring horse.

He usually runs well at the Cheltenham Festival without winning (his record there now reads 245) but he often does better at Aintree (he has finished second in the Maghull Chase and won a Melling Chase in two runs at the Grand National meeting) and he does even better at Punchestown, where he is two for two. He sprang a 25/1 shock there in 2014 when he won the Ryanair Novice Chase, and he beat Vautour and Simonsig and Special Tiara there last year in the Champion Chase. He does tend to jump to his right sometimes, so Punchestown suits him well, and he seems to enjoy the spring weather and the spring ground. He is nine years old now, but this run suggests that he is as good as ever, when you allow for those two jumping errors, and he is a horse who should be worth keeping on side for a little while longer.

15th March 2017
                  Last edited by mayo; 28 March 2017, 08:47 PM.

Comment

and

Horses To Follow » *Willoughby Court
                    Willoughby Court

The general consensus after the Neptune Hurdle on Wednesday was that, if Neon Wolf had not stumbled on landing over the final flight, he probably would have beaten the winner Willoughby Court. But that may not have been the case.

Neon Wolf had plenty of time to get past Ben Pauling’s horse. He raced up with the leader as they started around the home turn, but he was no closer to him as they approached the final flight than he was on the crown of the home turn. Indeed, on the approach to the final flight it looked, if anything, as if Willoughby Court was putting a little more distance between them. Neon Wolf did stumble a little on landing over the last, and he was at least a length down when he switched to the far side. He did close that gap to a head, but he wasn’t closing any more inside the last 50 yards. Willoughby Court is tough, he was always holding the favourite, and he left the impression that, if they had had to go another 100 yards, or 200 yards, or 300 yards, he still would have been in front.

Both horses are obviously highly talented, they pulled almost four lengths clear of the third horse Messire Des Obeaux, a Grade 1 winner. However, it may be that the runner-up will be considered an unlucky loser and, consequently, the winner may not get due credit. He was allowed an easy lead, David Bass was able to set his own fractions, but he is a horse who stays well and there is every reason to expect that he could do at least as well off a strong pace.

Winner of two of his four bumpers and fifth in the Grade 2 Aintree bumper last season, Paul and Clare Rooney’s horse has only been beaten once now in four runs over hurdles, and that was on his hurdling debut at Market Rasen, when he raced in a tongue-tie for the first and only time. He then won his maiden and followed up by landing the Grade 2 Leamington Hurdle at Warwick in January, in which he beat Gayebury and Peregrine Run. That was his last run before he went to Cheltenham and won the Neptune Hurdle.

By Court Cave, he is out of a half-sister to high-class staying chaser Nil Desperandum, so it is surely as a staying chaser that his future lies. In the meantime, he will be of interest in staying novice hurdles between now and the end of the season. He could be under-rated next time he races, and he will be of interest wherever he goes. He did have the Albert Bartlett Hurdle over three miles as an alternative option at Cheltenham, and he would be interesting if he stepped up to three miles for the Sefton Hurdle at Aintree.

15th March 2017

Comment

also

Caplito http://donnmcclean.com/2017/03/17/calipto-2/

Road to respect http://donnmcclean.com/2017/03/16/road-to-respect-2/

and Labaik http://donnmcclean.com/2017/03/14/labaik/

Comment

Gordon said that he thought Labaik started this time because they use a long Tom at Cheltenham to encourage them. This isn't allowed in Ireland and I'd be unwilling to back him at short prices over there until he's actually got into the race.

Comment

Gordon

Comment

Labaik to be sold - someone like Alan Potts will buy him and run him in England where they are allowed to whip them in. Still a gamble though.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                              Labaik to be sold - someone like Alan Potts will buy him and run him in England where they are allowed to whip them in. Still a gamble though.
                              JP pole position to buy something out of Gordons ?

Comment

Yes - it's a gamble one of the smaller owners will probably be unwilling to take so someone like JP will buy the horse.

It'll be loose change to him

Comment

Working...
                                X