Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Close Brothers Novice Chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
    Oh yes, a nose behind Sizing Codelco (behind Top Notch) who Joe Tizzard has given as the best handicapped horse and best bet of the week in the Brown Plate over same distance...

I really like that Ista. Might do an EW double with Brain Power
    Are you Michael Buckley in disguise

Comment

Really like your reasoning behind this one Jono, I've had a point e/w on Potters Legend myself

Comment

Originally posted by BigChaang View Post
        Jono , have you , or would you also back P.Legend for the K.muir as a back up ?.
        I haven't and wouldn't myself. There's no risk with the NRNB really if you want to but theres a fair few ahead of him in the market so unless a top jockey was suddenly confirmed on him I couldn't see the price shortening much if any if they came out and said the Kim Muir.

He's been running over two miles and performing well but looks likes he's crying out for a step up in trip and I think there'll be quite a bit of improvement when he does. I've had my eye on him for this for quiet a while and thought he blown his chance when 2nd at Donny last time out. Thankfully he only went up 1lb for that - It was the same race that RDS ran in.
        Thanks Faugheen. Going to have another look over his runs now

Comment

Re Double Ws - if anyone's at the Haydock preview tomorrow night, ask Bryan Hughes for his thoughts and post back. I can't get there but will do a report after the Timeform night on Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by Cashew King View Post
            Re Double Ws - if anyone's at the Haydock preview tomorrow night, ask Bryan Hughes for his thoughts and post back. I can't get there but will do a report after the Timeform night on Tuesday.
            I have spoken to one of the owners and he is hopeful of a good run. Northern trained horses have a poor record in recent years at the festival but Malcolm Jefferson has had some success.

I still haven't forgiven Brian Hughes for his ride on Attaglance in this race a few years ago, when he tried to go up the rail after the last and had to switch. God, that was painful viewing.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
              I have spoken to one of the owners and he is hopeful of a good run. Northern trained horses have a poor record in recent years at the festival but Malcolm Jefferson has had some success.

I still haven't forgiven Brian Hughes for his ride on Attaglance in this race a few years ago, when he tried to go up the rail after the last and had to switch. God, that was painful viewing.
              Thanks for that - he did me last year when I was on Bouveril and he got Ballyalton back up on the line- hopefully he'll do us a favour this year !

Comment

Originally posted by Cashew King View Post
                Thanks for that - he did me last year when I was on Bouveril and he got Ballyalton back up on the line- hopefully he'll do us a favour this year !
                Jockeys improve with age. Riding really well this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Vic View Post
                  Jockeys improve with age. Riding really well this year.
                  Yeah - I wasn't knocking him, if he wasn't a good rider he wouldn't have got Ballyalton back up. I was on Bouveril which looked all over the winner jumping the last. I'm on Double Ws so hoping he'll do us a favour - been following the horse since he said he liked it better than cloudy dreams.

Comment

I've spent a couple of hours this afternoon going through the trends of this race and have 4 for the shortlist.
                    Bun Doran, Potters Legend, Templehills, Two Taffs.

Comment

Positive quotes from Hughes on Double W's

Brian Hughes is hoping to get next week's Cheltenham Festival off a flyer when he has three rides on Tuesday's opening card.

Hughes, who is the north's leading jockey this season with 123 winners, teams up with Malcolm Jefferson's Cloudy Dream and Cyrius Darius in two of the showpiece races but is particularly keen on Double W's in the Close Brothers Novices' Handicap Chase.

The seven-year-old has had a decent first campaign over fences, winning at Carlisle and Wetherby as well as finishing second to Upsilon Bleu at Doncaster on his latest start after a poor effort at Newbury.

"And in the last, the novices' handicap chase, I ride Double W's. He's a horse we love and has been running well. He's had one poor run at Newbury, but apart from that all his runs have been pretty good.

"We thought he was harshly done to early on in handicaps because he'd won a few OK handicaps. He won them well, but got put up a lot. Thankfully the handicapper left him on 140 after his last run, which was a good run.

Comment

Jono, are you not concerned by the trip at all? I've always had Potters Legend down as a 3 mile+ horse

Comment

Originally posted by Mills182 View Post
                          Jono, are you not concerned by the trip at all? I've always had Potters Legend down as a 3 mile+ horse
                          Not particularly Mills, I think his long term future will end up going over 3+ miles again but see him well suited to this race

Comment

Morning all, Been looking over the close bros h/cap chs. My (long) shortlist has 16 runners , but leaving out the multiple entries for the time being, down to 7 , Already backed a couple in foxtail hill and potters legend . SO.. on the radar for me ... 1. double w's , 2.gold present, 3. Killeney court, 4. capt.Redbeard and 5. Relentless Dreamer - Rebecca curtis ,who won this with Irish cavalier a couple of years ago . wait now for final dec 's i think , but maybe add 4 & 5 today at the prices .

Comment

RDS needs 5 to drop out so the chance of him getting a run is very slim

Comment

Have the 6 day entries been released?

Comment

Working...
                                X