Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham 2018 Ante post bets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jono View Post
    Cheers guys - nice to get a bit more context and info on that. It really was a ridiculous lineup with Sprinter, Cue Card, Al Ferof and Menorah. 'Before my time' as such but I would have loved to have been there to see it, a race that sticks in your mind I imagine Faugheen?
    It does indeed. Most of my ante post bets before Christmas were placed on Peddlers Cross to win the Arkle. He'd finished 2nd to Hurricane Fly in the Champion Hurdle and I was convinced he'd make an outstanding chaser. Peddlers Cross clashed with Sprinter Sacre at Kempton on the 27th December and SS couldn't have beaten him easier, upwards of 8 lengths, without coming off the bridle.

There was no way PC could reverse the form so I had my biggest ever bet (at the stage) on SS at 5/2 to try and get me out of a rather large hole! Thankfully SS did the business in March but it wasn't comfortable viewing for me.

Comment

• Small stake each way Lucky 63 placed this morning:

Buveur D'Air - CH @ 4/1
      Thistlecrack - GC @ 6/1
      Melon - Arkle @ 12/1
      Samcro - Supreme @ 20/1
      Finians Oscar - JLT @ 10/1
      Bless The Wings - Cross Country @ 16/1

Obviously some dubious ones in there on where they will actually end up come March, but here's i'm there or thereabouts!

Comment

• Five to follow from Noel Meade in today's racingpost

Five to follow

Calicojack
        He finished fourth in the Tattersalls Sales Bumper at Fairyhouse the season before last but picked up a stress crack in his cannonbone and missed last season. We think he could be very useful on soft ground and we're excited about him.

De Name Escapes Me
        I was absolutely convinced he'd run a massive race in the Betfair Hurdle at Newbury and I even rang JP [McManus] to advise he back him! Something happened on the way over, though, and he ran a lifeless race. He wasn't right after it either. He'll be aimed at all the top handicap hurdles this season and I think he can win one.

Disko
        He won two Grade 1s last year and we're really looking forward to seeing what he can do this season. We've very high hopes for him and, if he stays the trip, he could develop into a Cheltenham Gold Cup contender. I think he'll be twice the horse this year that he was last season.

Red Jack
        He won his two bumpers last season and I've no doubt he'll develop into one of the top novice hurdles around this season. We like him a lot and he's done well over the summer.

Minella Fair
        I love this fella – he really could be anything. He won his bumper by a wide margin at Limerick last Christmas and really loves soft ground. Once we get some he will be ready to roll.

Comment

• Interesting they are aiming Disko at the Gold Cup. I was trying to locate the Gigginstown Ryanair horse and thought I had it

Comment

• Sporting life website - Ben pauling - chasers to follow 1. Willoughby court
            2. Barters hill
            3. Two swallows .
            saw this yesterday .

Comment

• No Stayers thread yet but I have just taken 9/1 for Unowhatimeanharry 2.5 pts win. Was so sweet on him all season, 3rd at the festival was a bit disappoiting obviously but I did have 25s each way!

Turned the form around at Punchestown by a head over Nichols Canyon and I am not excited by anything coming in to the division. Can easily see them in the mix again come March. Way too big a price looking at his form.

Comment

• Good shout Kevloaf. Agree not really anything stands out from Neptune / Albert Bartlett and also few uncertainties on who stays hurdling or goes chasing? The Worlds End and Bacardys interest me but need to hear news on what's happening with them

Comment

• I think I've read that Baracdys goes chasing and the Worlds End is staying hurdling - but can't place where so don't take it a sure thing!

Amazing that Nichols Canyon is two years younger than UNWIMH though, the age is an obvious negative which might be factored in to the price. Very hard to see any improvement IMO but he does set the standard in Britain, for me.

What is Footpad doing this season?

Comment

• Hard to argue with UNWIMH when you look at the market Kev. I'm really keen on the chances of Nichols Canyon retaining the race but there's very little between the two even when like you say there probably is little improvement left in UNWIMH BUT they set the bar don't they. Far too big an over reaction to UNWIMH's defeat at Cheltenham, I think he was 33 or 25's after?! He had no real excuses that day but I do think he just wasn't quite right and something was slightly amiss. Add in confirmed target, festival winner and course form, goes on any ground etc there's plenty of appeal still there.

I'm always under the impression it's a race where a lot of the runners come late to the party i.e November/December onwards?! I'd need to check though to see if that's accurate.

I can't find quotes on Footpad but I'm sure I remember Mullins talking about him going down the 3 mile route this season...

And what of Lil Rockafeller? Ran a stinker at Punchestown but he ran a mighty race at the festival. Very consistent, the 10th place finish was out of character for the horse and although he was well beat at the time in around 4th place, he looked to completely empty and I imagine something was up. Ran Yanworth very close in the Coral Hurdle as Ascot over 2m4, then finished 2nd in the Long Walk Hurdle (one of the main trials) behind UNWIMH leading up to that second place at the festival. If you can forgive the Punchestown run his 3 mile form reads: 322. I was shocked to see he is only 6 years old so you'd imagine there's more improvement.

Apple's Jade would be very tempting if she were to go down this route. I imagine she'll stick to the Mares and in all likelyhood win but if she did line up then she'd be dangerous with the 7lb allowance.

Paz, here's the last I heard on those two,

Tom George stated The Worlds End would stay over hurdles in April (though said it wasn't set in stone):

He is a tough horse but is only a young horse. He will improve further with another summer on his back.

“I would say we will probably stick over hurdles and that is the way we are looking, although nothing is set in concrete.

"This time last year he was winning his bumper at Chepstow, so he has come a long way.

"I see quite a bit of improvement in him and he has got that long-distance hurdle look about him."
                    Bacardys will be going chasing, based on Mullins comments after his Punchestown win:

Bacardys was badly hampered by a faller in the Neptune at Cheltenham. He was bought as a chasing prospect and that’s what he’ll be doing next season.
                    Bacardys is a horse I underrated throughout last season but i'm really excited to see him over a fence over 3miles

Comment

• His chasing career is on hold for now.

"I would have liked to have got him to the Fixed Brush Hurdle at Haydock (November) but he won't be ready in time," said Pauling.

"Whenever he comes back I will be thrilled- and it could possibly be by Christmas.

"I am thinking of going down the handicap hurdle route early doors.
                      Not a betting prospect right now but I wonder if Barters Hill could end up being a Stayers Hurdle contender?
                      He'd be of huge interest if he comes back ok and sound and Pauling kept him over hurdles. Currently 20/1
                      Last edited by jono; 10 September 2017, 09:12 PM.

Comment

• Stop saying world hurdle haha.
                        I LOVE Barters Hill ... as you say though, not a betting prospect!

Agree on Lil Rockafella... start a stayers hurdle thread jono

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                          Stop saying world hurdle haha.
                          I LOVE Barters Hill ... as you say though, not a betting prospect!

Agree on Lil Rockafella... start a stayers hurdle thread jono
                          Haha!! Schoolboy error...edited

Comment

• Originally posted by paz247 View Post
                            Agree not really anything stands out from Neptune / Albert Bartlett
                            I agree, but I wouldn't give up on Wholestone yet.
                            Third in the potato race when ground was probably too quick and played into the hands of Penhill with his flat speed even more so as they went off slowly in the race and it turned into a sprint, a more truly run race and bigger test of stamina will see Wholestone in a better light.
                            Interesting the Pertemps was won in a quicker (slightly) time a day earlier on slower ground suggests the potato race wasn't true

Comment

• Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                              I agree, but I wouldn't give up on Wholestone yet.
                              Third in the potato race when ground was probably too quick and played into the hands of Penhill with his flat speed even more so as they went off slowly in the race and it turned into a sprint, a more truly run race and bigger test of stamina will see Wholestone in a better light.
                              Interesting the Pertemps was won in a quicker (slightly) time a day earlier on slower ground suggests the potato race wasn't true
                              Interesting regarding the times... I was a big fan of Wholestone with you, as I am sure you'll remember.

On a loose link and line through West Approach, he needs to step up pretty far when it got to the festivals, and even West Approaches best wasn't really good enough for the stayers? Added to the fact connections have already got L'ami Serge for the race and also footpad... I know they don't mind more than one but would look the clear 3rd choice at this stage for me?

I do like him though, hope he does step forward. One to keep your eye on as you say Ista.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                                I think I've read that Baracdys goes chasing and the Worlds End is staying hurdling - but can't place where so don't take it a sure thing!

Amazing that Nichols Canyon is two years younger than UNWIMH though, the age is an obvious negative which might be factored in to the price. Very hard to see any improvement IMO but he does set the standard in Britain, for me.

What is Footpad doing this season?
                                Good point about UNWIMH kev , going to have another look at him , I have already had a small bet on Bacardys for the R.S.A.
                                Don't know owt about footpad though.

Comment

Working...
                                X