Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham 2018 Ante post bets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ryanh97 View Post
    Single on MB or something else?
    Single on him. Skybet's freebet club *chapeu*

I don't really like doing multiples too far out because a) they don't make it b) I'm vaguely useless at them, I need a little bit of form to go off

Comment

How many points you got on these 3 Kev?
      As singles CoC 6pts
      BVD 0 pts
      Our Duke 2 pts

The 3 in a trixie was 4 pts

Originally posted by BigChaang View Post
      Like that one Kev, I see Auvergnat won yesterday , got to be in the frame too for the XC i'd have thought .
      Yeah, certainly likely to be in the mix, not a bad each way price but I can't see him being the number 1 for the owner... COC and JO above him for now...

Originally posted by robith View Post
      My first one is down - borrowing the technique of using free bets on them to minimise exposure. Having doubted him all year, I'm now a Might Bite true believer. I'm on board the Gold Cup hype train
      Good technique... I find concentrating them all on one race (Gold Cup!) worked nicely...

Originally posted by BigChaang View Post
      Annie Power is Retired , news today !.
      Not unexpected, what a huge shame she didn't get a last hoorah! One of the most memorable horses for many years to come for sure! We ALL have an Annie Power story I bet

Comment

• Yeah , shame for Annie ,. , I was standing on the rail in the best mate stand for the mares hurdle ,
        at Cheltenham when she performed her flying dismount (or was that ruby ) !. .

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
          As singles CoC 6pts
          BVD 0 pts
          Our Duke 2 pts

The 3 in a trixie was 4 pts
          I really like this trixie, refusing to use cash though so waiting on a free bet

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
          Yeah, certainly likely to be in the mix, not a bad each way price but I can't see him being the number 1 for the owner... COC and JO above him for now...
          I'd have to agree CoC would have to be owner's number 1

Comment

• Originally posted by robith View Post
            Single on him. Skybet's freebet club *chapeu*

I don't really like doing multiples too far out because a) they don't make it b) I'm vaguely useless at them, I need a little bit of form to go off
            They've excluded me from the free bet club. W*nkers.

Comment

They've excluded me from the free bet club. W*nkers.
              One of the benefits of being a mostly small stakes fun player is even though im profitable they probably cba to restrict me

Comment

• Originally posted by robith View Post
                One of the benefits of being a mostly small stakes fun player is even though im profitable they probably cba to restrict me
                I am aswell robith, put a few bigger bets on for my uncle and they restrict me.

Comment

• In Case they switch B.D or it's a n/r - L.15. - 1. - defi du seuil - 8-1 -ch.h
                  2. - Altior - 5-4 - ch.chs
                  3. - N. canyon - 6-1 - styrs
                  4. - Our duke -12 -1 - gold cup.

Comment

• Switch Buvuer D'air? Not a chance and if DDS was fav for the race I'd be incredibly underwhelmed ... I've gone right off DDS in the off season ... I think he might just have been much more forward than anything else in his division... we see SO many juveniles not train on like we hope and I haven't fallen in love with DDS (Now the winnings from Cheltenham have been forgotten!) .... I blame Charli Parcs?

I also hope Douvan faces off against Altior, I will NEED to be there on the Wednesday if that happens. Altior edges it for me if I wasn't having a bet (price is everything) ....

Nichols Canyon I think will be under rated all season .... 6/1 still too big!

Our Duke is a certainty. All in

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post

Our Duke is a certainty. All in
                      It may be tongue in cheek Kev, but I think you are right!

Our Duke, Buveur D'air and Cause of Causes are certainties in my eyes.

Comment

• Buveur D'Air, Cause of Causes and Nichols Canyon are building up to be a decent chunk of my antepost book already in a variety of bets and i'll likely keep topping up here and there until the Autumn

Buveur D'air really had has the 2 mile hurdle division at his mercy doesn't he? Bar any setbacks he'll also benefit hugely from a full 2 mile hurdle campaign this year and i'd be amazed if there wasn't a lot more improvement in him once again. I agree that Defi du Seuil has a huge step up to take this year just to get to the level BD finished off at this season but seeing as I can see that one improving further It would take a huge swing of both DDS improving significantly and BD regressing significantly for the Hobbs horse to come out on top.

DDS was streets ahead of the rest of the juveniles so you can't fancy any others and the novice hurdlers look a below par bunch this year or at least the ones that will be staying over hurdles. All eyes then turn to Mullins...It would not surprise me in the slightest if Faugheen follows Annie into retirement following all the issues he's had and even if the yard were able to get him back to the track then it's a huge ask at what will be 10 years old. Min reverting back could be interesting having beaten BD in the Supreme and depending how Mullins shuffles his (in particular 2m) chasing pack next year though the lack of updates about him at the end of the year aren't ideal. Then we get to Yorkhill...he could give the fav something to worry about for sure IF he reverts back but i'd be siding with a few more points on the 4/1 on Buveur D'Air over 10/1 Yorkhill right now.

Our Duke - though 12/1 is a tad too big and he's a major player in the race, i'm a little surprised by the supreme confidence in him.
                        As impressive as the Irish National was i'm airing slightly on the cautious side on just how much to take from the race. Think i need some convincing on that front so fire away...
                        Last edited by jono; 24 May 2017, 09:55 PM.

Comment

• Well , I like D.D.S so there !!.l.o.l. won every race , 5 of those are class 1's . , I fully agree he's unlikely to go to the Ch.H
                          if Buveur d'airs fit , but like i said its a back up plan , and if the other three place or win,
                          covers my bet.

Comment

• Although i've had a bet , Like you Jono, just not quite sure about Our Duke , I think maybe
                            it's because all his races have been in Ireland . ? , where as the others
                            Th. crk , m.bite , s.john have course form ??.
                            Last edited by BigChaang; 25 May 2017, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigChaang View Post
                              Well , I like D.D.S so there !!.l.o.l. won every race , 5 of those are class 1's . , I fully agree he's unlikely to go to the Ch.H
                              if Buveur d'airs fit , but like i said its a back up plan , and if the other three place or win,
                              covers my bet.
                              It probably seemed like my post was knocking Defi du Seuil but it was more to do with how highly i rate Buveur D'Air and how much improvement there's likely to be compared to what I think of DDS. For me he just sets a high standard for any of the other hurdlers to get to let alone a 5 year old but I can see the logic if you take the fav out of the picture

Comment

• Originally posted by BigChaang View Post
                                Although i've had a bet , Like you Jono, just not quite sure about Our Duke , I think maybe
                                it's because all his races have been in Ireland . ? , where as the others
                                Th. crk , m.bite , s.john have course form ??.
                                Course form would be ideal though it's not a major concern. He's performed going left handed and on undulating tracks and will relish the stamina test so no reason to think he will be at any disadvantage or not be able to perform to his best at Cheltenham so I wouldn't use that as a negative against him.
                                And he probably does have the least amount of question marks to answer out of the main protagonists this far out...

Thistlecrack - 10 years old and coming back from an injury
                                Sizing John - won the 3 Spring Gold Cups inc this one but it's VERY hard for a horse to retain a Gold Cup no matter how good.
                                Yorkhill - quirky as hell and stamina unproven
                                Might Bite - another quirky sort, 3m2 unproven
                                Native River - came up short this year and hard to see how he'll get any closer in probably a tougher year
                                Douvan - more likely to stay over 2 miles but even so stamina unproven and injury to come back from

I'm trying to write why in the back of my mind i have a slight doubt but will admit I am struggling. I remember before the race thinking if Our Duke was to become a Gold Cup contender he'd need to be winning this race based on there being a lot of exposed horses / horses coming off a long season / horses ran as an afterthought. He obviously did, and he did it very very well and now he's put himself right in contention. I guess he looks as SOLID as an antepost bet right now could be but whether i'd be fully confident he'll win it is another question.

Hmm think i've just talked myself into backing him...

Comment

Working...
                                X