Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
    Well , I like D.D.S so there !!.l.o.l. won every race , 5 of those are class 1's . , I fully agree he's unlikely to go to the Ch.H
    if Buveur d'airs fit , but like i said its a back up plan , and if the other three place or win,
    covers my bet.

Although i've had a bet , Like you Jono, just not quite sure about Our Duke , I think maybe
    it's because all his races have been in Ireland . ? , where as the others
    Th. crk , m.bite , s.john have course form ??.
    Last edited by BigChaang; Yesterday at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigChaang View Post
    Well , I like D.D.S so there !!.l.o.l. won every race , 5 of those are class 1's . , I fully agree he's unlikely to go to the Ch.H
    if Buveur d'airs fit , but like i said its a back up plan , and if the other three place or win,
    covers my bet.
    It probably seemed like my post was knocking Defi du Seuil but it was more to do with how highly i rate Buveur D'Air and how much improvement there's likely to be compared to what I think of DDS. For me he just sets a high standard for any of the other hurdlers to get to let alone a 5 year old but I can see the logic if you take the fav out of the picture

Quote Originally Posted by BigChaang View Post
    Although i've had a bet , Like you Jono, just not quite sure about Our Duke , I think maybe
    it's because all his races have been in Ireland . ? , where as the others
    Th. crk , m.bite , s.john have course form ??.
    Course form would be ideal though it's not a major concern. He's performed going left handed and on undulating tracks and will relish the stamina test so no reason to think he will be at any disadvantage or not be able to perform to his best at Cheltenham so I wouldn't use that as a negative against him.
    And he probably does have the least amount of question marks to answer out of the main protagonists this far out...

Thistlecrack - 10 years old and coming back from an injury
    Sizing John - won the 3 Spring Gold Cups inc this one but it's VERY hard for a horse to retain a Gold Cup no matter how good.
    Yorkhill - quirky as hell and stamina unproven
    Might Bite - another quirky sort, 3m2 unproven
    Native River - came up short this year and hard to see how he'll get any closer in probably a tougher year
    Douvan - more likely to stay over 2 miles but even so stamina unproven and injury to come back from

I'm trying to write why in the back of my mind i have a slight doubt but will admit I am struggling. I remember before the race thinking if Our Duke was to become a Gold Cup contender he'd need to be winning this race based on there being a lot of exposed horses / horses coming off a long season / horses ran as an afterthought. He obviously did, and he did it very very well and now he's put himself right in contention. I guess he looks as SOLID as an antepost bet right now could be but whether i'd be fully confident he'll win it is another question.

Hmm think i've just talked myself into backing him...

Quote Originally Posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
    It may be tongue in cheek Kev, but I think you are right!

Our Duke, Buveur D'air and Cause of Causes are certainties in my eyes.
    Not as tongue in cheek as a lot that I say ...

Those 3 in an each way trixie are just brilliant IMO

I think the reason you don't like Our Duke as much jono is you didn't back him on the day and watch it live when he won the Irish Grand National?

I sometimes have a negative view of a horse when I miss it too

Joking aside, the Our Duke thing has been backed by a few on the podcasts and there was a comparison to Denman / Kauto with SJ and OD being in the same yard that I loved, although both would need to improve significantly to deserve actual comparisons but the 'paths' do look to have similarities (Kauto/SJ starting over shorter) Denman/OD doing fantastic weight-carrying displays...

No-one is forcing me to pick a side in the staying chaser divison and for some reason I want to anyway... I wanted Thistlecrack to be that horse and Many Clouds beat him. I also love Might Bite, but his race is at Kempton and he's been found in the market.... Our Duke at 12's is just too big.

------

Only just read that you've decided to back him - I agree with everything you'd said above that.

Kev, yourself and jono just talked me round to the Our duke camp, got to say i agree with most of those points.:

Well are least you'll know who to blame if it all goes wrong.

I also like the fact they missed Cheltenham on purpose ... I think he'll improve this season because of the way he was campaigned last season and he'll not need to improve that much anyway!