Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Your Cheltenham Festival Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting the whole Geneva airport know I was pissed!

Mine definitely has to be the 2014 Arctic Fire / County Hurdle.

It all started off when we got the heads up over Christmas period and lumped on at 16/1_14/1_12/1_and kept on going, even at 8/1 on the morning of the race.

Geneva Motor Shows usually lands the same week as the Fest, so we usually spend a few days in Verbier and I seem to be unsociable by burying my head into the laptop from the morning until race-day ends.

Cut the story short - I remember nearly missing my plane back because I wanted a pal to give me commentary over the phone for the race just before boarding time. I remember that if AF would go and win the County I would be 6 figures better off (and it didn't start with a 1).

All I can remember was my pal telling me "he is cutting through the field like butter, he's going to win" (jumping the last), and then all of a sudden "hang on, no, he just got blind sided".

So you can imagine the words that were coming out of my mouth after thinking I was well in. The whole airport was starring at me and I personally didn't give a dam!!!

Comment

Nice work LR, hope you made good use of the winnings..............like lost it at Aintree, Punchestown !

Comment

Great story Kev, mine is always the same one, was a follower of the Sue Smith yard and a big fan of Dominic Elsworth, I'd been watching Mister McGoldrick for about 3 years, always in top quality races against the best 2 milers around never being quite good enough, then Dom was jocked off him and he started to lose his way. The capper finally dropped him a few pounds and he was put in the Byrne plate getting weight from half a dozen lesser lights, and I got the added bonus of seeing Dom back on board. He was always handy, went clear 3 out, and ground them into the dust coming home a dozen lengths clear of the heavily gambled on fav, I was hoarse for the rest of the day from all the shouting, but that 66/1 ticket never left me mitt, that was a wonderful experience

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
          Nice work LR, hope you made good use of the winnings..............like lost it at Aintree, Punchestown !
          It was only ew money.

Comment

I was on him too LR, he got too close to the last and clouted it, lost more ground than he lost by, very unlucky loser....

Comment

My Synchronised Gold Cup

Synchronised Gold Cup was another good one up in Verbier and tbh, is probably my fav - No one in the chalet knew a thing about racing, but they kept hearing and watching me celebrate winners. So they all decided to have a bet and follow me on the next race, which happened to be the Synchronised Gold Cup.

They were all laughing watching him scrubbing along a long way out, all saying he's fucked, he isn't winning shit, all I can remember saying to them was "he does stay", and boy did he.

And thats how my Synchronised story was born.

Comment

Haha LOVE those!

Has anyone got a secret horse they've been secretly chipping away at? I am open to being PM'd about it

Comment

Working...
                X