Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Cross Country Chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Cross Country Chase

Morning all. Been reading this forum for a while, and all of the excellent contributions so finally decided to join

Not the best race to kick start my career, but one I am interested in this year. I wondered if anyone had heard anything regarding Alelchi Inois and Boston Bob. I saw an interview with Patrick Mullins a while ago and he mentioned both would be heading down the Banks route and be targeted at this race. However, Boston Bob hasn't been sighted yet, and Alelchi Inois has been running in Graded races ever since (and running pretty well!).

Cantlow aside, it doesn't look like there is that much depth, and I thought both could run huge races if this is indeed still their target. I know connections of Alelchi Inois have always had an affinity with this race with Uncle Junior and this fella could well take over the mantle. Bit worried that Paddy Power, with their history of getting things right from this yard, are significantly longest price on Boston Bob though.

Any thoughts? Cheers

Ive not heard anything about the 2 youve mentioned. I will be backing Cantlow in the next couple of days as I see him going off short. However, on the day should Bless the Wings be a decent price then i'll be backing that e/w

Comment

I've been told this is the plan for AI by a friend of mine but his information is iffy at the best of times

Comment

Have to say i'm quite a fan of the cross country races. It's a novelty race but I find the unpopularity for them slightly confusing.

I've not heard anything from the yard since that initial interview with Patrick either. Experience of the banks course is vital so i'd imagine if either of them were to line up for this race they'd be entered for the rescheduled race on trials day. So Monday 23rd(ish) you should get a gauge whether this is the intended route if the feature in the early decs.

The alternative would be the PP Hogan Memorial Cross Country Chase at Punchestown a week later (5th February). So by January 30th you should know what the intended plan is at the latest. I'd be very surprised if either took in the race if they weren't to feature in these 2 races.

Comment

Yes good point Jono. And cheers for the reply FM.

Comment

Did anybody else find it strange that only one media outlet reported Josise being out for the Season? I may have missed something but have scanned the net etc and nothing from Enda etc? I think he is out but does anyone know what and how serious the injury is

Comment

Very little was said and I had looked quite thoroughly for any more details but nothing bar:

He has met with a setback and will be out for the season," said Frank Berry, racing manager to owner J P McManus.
              "He won't make Cheltenham in March. He'll be back next season
              So no idea what the setback was. I can only think the lack of media coverage is because how little the cross country race is thought of.

Comment

CCM - nothing wrong with this race as a debut, banks races generally run to form so should be easier to work out (unless another idiot French pilot rocks up and ruins everything !).

This is a unique race, obstacles are different and come quicker than regulation fences so horses don't hit racing speed that often.
                Horses need different skills, balance and flexibility are more important than bare speed, the twists and turns of banks courses are a million miles away from standard courses so high class horses that transfer to this sphere aren't guaranteed to do well.
                Goonyella won a Midlands National and had a rating of around 150, his 2 banks races haven't been without promise but he's been beaten an aggregate of 48 lengths.
                Cantlow looks to be the best around and it's taken him over a year to adapt to this code.

Look out for Auvergnat, owned by JP and trained by Enda, only a 6yo and could be a major player in this sphere in years to come...

Comment

Agree with istabraq, Auvergnat one for the future in this code
                  Been a lucky race for me,tend to follow Enda Bolger blind
                  Think he has found the key to cantlow
                  Foxrock second fav for this but could be rerouted to foxhunters,been running in Irish p2ps lately
                  One thing to consider if it is dry leading to festival,they can't water the cross country course,it is too big

Comment

I'm really hoping Auvergnat lines up in the race on trails day. He was due to run in December but the ground went against him. You'd imagine Mark Walsh would definitely ride Cantlow again but will be interesting to see if he did side with Auvergnat.

God point on the ground too. This is good news for Cantlow backers for him to get good ground. Though although that is what Edna has come out with (in terms of his best ground) he's far from been disgraced with soft going.

Comment

Any Currency wasn't lucky to win last year, has he been over looked? From what I gather, the 'drugs' weren't performance enhancing and he did beat JO ... Not anyones fav horse after last year, but it wasn't the horses fault... he wasn't injecting himself with steroids or anything (difficult enough to do with hoofs even if he wanted to) .... I had a bet at 20/1 each way long beofre JO came out, but feel he might be over looked out of anger more than sense?

Comment

I am with cantlow here at 9/2
                        Mark Walsh has sided with him twice this season
                        Barry Geraghty chooses not to ride in this and Nina is up the duff
                        Not sure who will ride Auvergnat but 25s each way is not a bad bet,maybe jj codd to ride
                        Last edited by Liammet; 12 January 2017, 05:49 PM.

Comment

It's a race that older horses can continue on and compete more so than other festival races but I just think at 14 years old Any Currency may just not have the pace for the finish in this race now when they turn and sprint to the finish. Only 1 year on of course and saying that Cantlow is 12 years old having just checked!

I get the impression Jamie Codd has a verbal agreement to ride Elliott''s horse in this (which will likely be bless the wings). Otherwise i'd say Edna would definitely look at getting him (he's rode On The Fringe in the past for him)

Comment

Other than Cantlow and Auvergnat, do we know what else Enda has?
                            I must admit that I don't really follow the X-Country Trials... and as such, I do tend to follow Bolger blind...

Comment

Quantitativeasing is with Enda - haven't heard much about him this season though.

Comment

Working...
                              X