Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Cross Country Chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
    Quantitativeasing is with Enda - haven't heard much about him this season though.
    Surprised QE is only 11... thought he was much older. Not sure why, been around a while I guess in this race.

Comment

Some interesting initial entries in the cross country race on trials day. They wouldn't interest me but certainly unexpected horses if they were to line up in it.

More of That
      Cause of Causes
      Rocky Creek
      The Job is Right

Comment

No way you'd resist CoC.

Balthazar King take this in before he ran in the national?

Codd on board?

Comment

The CoC entry interests me a lot.

A horse I love. Up until Spring 2014 he was a very consistent horse running big races throughout the year and one i'd always be interested in in the big handicaps. Then from the 14/15 season he suddenly dropped all form throughout the season dropping his handicap mark and saving himself for Cheltenham. This culminated in winning the 4 miler the the Kim Muir in each of the last 2 years. Each of these seasons i've avoided him in any entry until the Cheltenham/Aintree as Elliott is clearly he's not asked for anything in a bid to keep his mark down.

On that basis i'll avoid him at this time of year, even if he had what is THE PERFECT jockey for the horse in Jamie Codd onboard.

However i'm unsure what this entry (if he took it up) would indicate. (Like many on here) i'm very interested in him for another handicap tilt this year at the Festival. In the past couple of seasons he's taken in all sorts of races to keep his mark down (16F chase before his Cheltenham win last year). Is this just another? Seems an odd choice to go down though.

Unless they are looking at these races now for the horse? Despite seemingly being around for years and years he's only 9 years old.

I probably shouldn't look too far into an initial declaration but it has me confused with the horse.

Comment

Originally posted by Can't Catch Me View Post
            I wondered if anyone had heard anything regarding Alelchi Inois and Boston Bob. I saw an interview with Patrick Mullins a while ago and he mentioned both would be heading down the Banks route and be targeted at this race. However, Boston Bob hasn't been sighted yet, and Alelchi Inois has been running in Graded races ever since (and running pretty well!).
            Alelchi Inois could run in the trails day race. Boston Bob not declared

Comment

Originally posted by jono View Post
              The CoC entry interests me a lot.

A horse I love. Up until Spring 2014 he was a very consistent horse running big races throughout the year and one i'd always be interested in in the big handicaps. Then from the 14/15 season he suddenly dropped all form throughout the season dropping his handicap mark and saving himself for Cheltenham. This culminated in winning the 4 miler the the Kim Muir in each of the last 2 years. Each of these seasons i've avoided him in any entry until the Cheltenham/Aintree as Elliott is clearly he's not asked for anything in a bid to keep his mark down.

On that basis i'll avoid him at this time of year, even if he had what is THE PERFECT jockey for the horse in Jamie Codd onboard.

However i'm unsure what this entry (if he took it up) would indicate. (Like many on here) i'm very interested in him for another handicap tilt this year at the Festival. In the past couple of seasons he's taken in all sorts of races to keep his mark down (16F chase before his Cheltenham win last year). Is this just another? Seems an odd choice to go down though.

Unless they are looking at these races now for the horse? Despite seemingly being around for years and years he's only 9 years old.

I probably shouldn't look too far into an initial declaration but it has me confused with the horse.
              As this is a handicap, do they run off their official BHA rating or is there some sort of fiddle factor the XC ratings? I'm curious to see if GE is trying to find out what kind of mark the handicapper is going to give CoC.

Comment

Cause of Causes given a rating of 153. That seems fair enough to me. Just hope GE doesn't run him at the weekend.

Comment

FM - the festival XC is a level weights race now.

I can't stress enough how different this sphere is to regulation racing, ratings provide an indication of ability over standard fences at racing speed, neither are part of this code until the final 3f.
                  Debutants have an horrific record in the race so unless the potential newcomers get some course experience in this Sat or in the PP Hogan I'd be opposing them at Cheltenham, regardless of their quality

Comment

Sorry Ista - I'm all over CoC for the Ultima on day 1 so hoping GE was just using the entry to see what mark he'd get. I think running CoC here would be a horrendous call

Comment

OK understood FM.
                      Just seems strange paying an entry fee for a race they appear to have no intention running in, struggling to see what the upside is ?
                      CoC is all stamina and should never be seen in a XC race...

Comment

If you look at the entries for this weekend GE must have entered 15 horses in the handicaps, some which I'm fairly sure he has no intention of running. I think he'll use the mark to see if he needs to have another run with some horses to knock a lb or two off.

Comment

If my thinking is right, GE will hopefully give CoC one more run in Ireland, where he'll finish down the field in the hope Phil Smith will knock him down slightly in the ratings. That's my hope anyway.

Comment

You need good owner backing for that strategy, entry fees £150 or more for decent races....

Comment

Elliott has been doing that (running the horse in races happy for him to finish down the field) for 2 years now hasn't he?

Good point regarding Elliott entering to gauge their handicap marks. Did the same with Diamond King last year too. Though Phil Smith will be well aware!

Comment

Diamond King is one of the horses entered this weekend

Comment

Working...
                                X