Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham Festival Handicaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could take 8/1 any race

Comment

Originally posted by Al Ferof View Post
      I've no idea if he will be targeted at Cheltenham, but Squouateur has been given some 'educational' rides over fences to say the least. Never dangeorous in any of them and in most cases over an inadequate trip.

Anything near 3m on good ground I'd be backing him blind, but as I say he has to be aimed there first.

Rated 141 over hurdles last season and fav for the Martin Pipe, he is one to watch out for as he'll probably need to win a handicap in Ireland en route to Chelts in March.
      He is definitely on the radar but something makes me think I'm reading too much into him. His two notable wins last year were on heavy ground (a lot of Martaline progeny do prefer softer conditions) and when he raced at both Cheltenham (good) and Aintree (soft) off a mark of 141 he could not place. He may improve for fences but I also think he won't have gone unnoticed to Phil Smith who may well not want to take a chance on him and apply is Hurdle rating to his Chase rating. If this is the case then he'll be 1lb over the ceiling for the novice handicap chase on day one.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
        Al Ferof - that's freaky. I was just going to ask if anyone saw his run yesterday. I missed it but noticed he was pulled up. I was thinking the 2.5 miles novice handicap on day 1 would probably suit, although the race is that compressed is hard to get in the race.
        What are the options he could run in?

Festival Handicaps are something I have never ever looked at antepost but I am changing tact this year and keeping an eye out.

If you could educate me around any novice chase handicaps that would be much appreciated

Comment

There are two options realistic options I can see.

The novice handicap on the Tuesday which is 0-140 rating - he'll do well to get in that, bottom weight was 137 I think last year.

The festival plate, also over 2.5 miles is the other option - this is an open handicap chase

Comment

Originally posted by Al Ferof View Post
            What are the options he could run in?

Festival Handicaps are something I have never ever looked at antepost but I am changing tact this year and keeping an eye out.

If you could educate me around any novice chase handicaps that would be much appreciated
            The only Novice handicap chase is over 2m 4f with a ceiling of 140. As the race has become very popular in the few years it has been included, the handicap can become very compressed with only a few pounds covering the top and bottom weight. Therefore it is a tough race to plot a horse as you run the risk of either not being high enough to get in or exceed the ceiling. Last year only 4lb separated the field so it bordered on a level weights race. Irish horses have an even tougher time getting in as Phil Smith reserves the right to alter their Irish rating for racing in the U.K.

Comment

Originally posted by JackieMoon33 View Post
              The only Novice handicap chase is over 2m 4f with a ceiling of 140. As the race has become very popular in the few years it has been included, the handicap can become very compressed with only a few pounds covering the top and bottom weight. Therefore it is a tough race to plot a horse as you run the risk of either not being high enough to get in or exceed the ceiling. Last year only 4lb separated the field so it bordered on a level weights race. Irish horses have an even tougher time getting in as Phil Smith reserves the right to alter their Irish rating for racing in the U.K.

Comment

Been manic since these prices came out, managed to see the 33's on Cause of Causes but kept forgetting to back him. Gone to back him now and best priced 20's damn you all for taking the prices!!

He's fared me well in the last 2 years winning the 4 miler and the Kim Muir so i'll still be joining in at 20's - thought he'd be about 16-20s max anyway. Can't argue with the case made for him and echo it all completely. No chance for me he'll be seen in the Kim Muir as I can't see him dropping down to 145. He made a mockery of it last Spring - one of the easiest handicap winners i'll ever see at the festival I think. The good thing is he'll likely need another win to get him into the Aintree Grand National having missed out last year despite winning

Comment

The Druids Nephew has halved in price today for the Ultima Handicap Chase, 33/1 into 16/1 today.

He's a horse who had completely dropped off my radar recently.

Comment

Sometimes you have to wait for prices to drop to identify likely targets, better to have a 10/1 turn up than 33's in the wrong race, or in the yard

Comment

This one looks interesting for Nichols if he,s keeping him back rated 135 over hurdles.Owned by done, Ferguson, fogg+mason
                      Chameron
                      Info: 3g Laveron - Chamanka Form: 11
                      Our latest purchase is a really exciting prospect, although being a big, strong individual I must stress he isn’t a Triumph Hurdle sort but a chaser of the future. He won the Listed Prix Finot at Auteuil on his debut – which has supplied us with some top-class horses. The form doesn’t always work out but Chameron came out and won again at Auteuil six weeks later so he looks a nice addition to the team.

Comment

Is he quoted in the Fred Winter betting Dazzler?

Comment

25's where offered

Comment

Younevercall was impressive earlier in the season at Kempton in a pertemps qualifier and has been put away since off a handicap mark of 143. He has improved no end since going up in trip and I think 3 miles in the final will see him in an even better light.

Golden Doyen for the same race. Also put away since getting up in a slow run race at Cheltenham.

Ordinary World/Don't Touch It for the Grand Annual.

Comment

Agree with Golden Doyen - eye catching run at Cheltenham earlier in the season.

Comment

Be interested to see if Mega Fortune ends up in the Fred Winter as well as he looks a really promising type if not quite among the best Juvenile Hurdlers around.

Comment

Working...
                                X